Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whitsundays for a week in early August? (from Melb)

Options
  • 18-07-2010 2:46am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking about taking a week off from work in Melbourne and heading up to the Whitsundays in Queensland for a week in early August. Based upon preliminary reading I was thinking about staying on Hamilton Island and making a few trips out to Great Barrier Reef.

- Is 1 week on Hamilton Island too long?
    - Would I be better off spending a few days there and then a few days on another island?

The aims of my mini holiday are:
    - get some warmth in my bones (Melbourne is cold)
    - swim/snorkel the Great Barrier Reef
    - relax

Any tips/hints welcome. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi

Is it just yourself or you and the missus?

I reckon 7 days is plenty on hamilton island.

There is a great way to camp on whitehaven beach (best beach in Aus)

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

BossArky wrote: »
    I'm thinking about taking a week off from work in Melbourne and heading up to the Whitsundays in Queensland for a week in early August. Based upon preliminary reading I was thinking about staying on Hamilton Island and making a few trips out to Great Barrier Reef.

- Is 1 week on Hamilton Island too long?
    - Would I be better off spending a few days there and then a few days on another island?

The aims of my mini holiday are:
    - get some warmth in my bones (Melbourne is cold)
    - swim/snorkel the Great Barrier Reef
    - relax

Any tips/hints welcome. Cheers.

ha I'm planning the same thing, travelling from Melbourne to whitsundays in August, althought I heard hamilton island is expensive so I'm staying in Airlie beach.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Cheers for the replies. In the end we went ahead and are heading for the week to Hamilton island. Will check out WhiteHaven beach, the GBR and various other bits and pieces too.
    Zambia232 wrote: »
    Hi

Is it just yourself or you and the missus?

I reckon 7 days is plenty on hamilton island.

There is a great way to camp on whitehaven beach (best beach in Aus)

z

Yeah myself and the missus.
    ha I'm planning the same thing, travelling from Melbourne to whitsundays in August, althought I heard hamilton island is expensive so I'm staying in Airlie beach.

I read that Airlie beach is more back-packery which is not what I'm looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Going over to Oz in October and heading in this direction. How did you get on? Any tips?

Advertisement