Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal? What the **** happened

Options
  • 18-07-2010 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Modern day metal=shiiiiite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I don't think so, Tim.

I know a lot of stuff today is gick but you have to give us a few examples rather than throwing out a blanket term.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

shampon wrote: »
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not trolling for now but if you don't expand on your position soon and explain what you don't like about modern metal and why you think it's shite then this thread will be closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm out of touch with the current metal scene but if it's anything like the rubbish that I catch on Kerrang TV as I flick through the channels, well then it's doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Obvious troll is obvious.

However, i dont think modern day metal is "shiite". Please provide more substantial reasons as to why you think so! If modern metal is "shiite", what do you reckon of bands like mastodon, devildriver, for example (theres lots more - im busy and sleepy and cant think)

I'm out of touch with the current metal scene but if it's anything like the rubbish that I catch on Kerrang TV as I flick through the channels, well then it's doomed.
    kerrang is not, and never was, representative of the metal scene

I watch kerrang occasionally (but only to ogle hayley williams :p)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 inkyglide

Well, I have to say that metal that is usually on TV these days DOES blow! I mean back in the day...you could turn on MTV et.c and actually see bands like Maiden to Megadeth but now it's filled with screamo bands and reality shows! I mean..last I knew MTV (for example) meant music telly not crap telly lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

inkyglide wrote: »
    ...bands like Maiden to Megadeth but now it's filled with screamo bands and reality shows!...

It's not 1987.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 inkyglide

mp3guy wrote: »
    It's not 1987.

Yeah well TV seems to forget...those of US who liked and watched back in the day are still metalheads and STILL ALIVE...I like everything from Maiden to Behemoth and I don't see Behemoth on TV either..unless it's youtube lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What exactly is the current metal scene and where do you hear it.

My favorite metal is still the 80's, 90's. These days its got so extreme and polarised into narrow genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I hate that overprocessed guitar sound they have, they're all clones of each other, like avenged sevenfold, they're ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

If you pay attention to the metal mags & what not today then ya you could say the standard of metal is sh**e. Its all teenager crap. Bullet for my valentine, trivium etc etc. But there plenty of great bands out there not getting press coverage. & with the internet its fairly easy to seek them out. If you know you like a particular band or sound why not go on to last fm & see whats similar? Then check their myspace pages to see if you like the sound. Check the 'now listening to' thread up on here & from that have listen to bands myspace pages or stuff on youtube.

If 80's maiden is your thing why not check out lion's share? or pharoh? what never heard of them?

Of if its old school thrash why not check out warbringer? or evile? or lazarus a.d.? or gama bomb?

BostonB wrote: »
    What exactly is the current metal scene and where do you hear it. .

Bruxelles/New Fibbers would be a start. Theres lots of gigs in old fibbers aswell.

Music wise I listen to last FM which is good for reccomending bands similar to what you listen to. Scuzz TV on Sky has some good music some of the times
    BostonB wrote: »
    My favorite metal is still the 80's, 90's. These days its got so extreme and polarised into narrow genres.
    Sadly this is correct - most of my favourite (mainstream) bands would be confined to tv stations like MTV classic it seems!

sentient_6 wrote: »
    If you pay attention to the metal mags & what not today then ya you could say the standard of metal is sh**e. Its all teenager crap. Bullet for my valentine, trivium etc etc. But there plenty of great bands out there not getting press coverage. & with the internet its fairly easy to seek them out. If you know you like a particular band or sound why not go on to last fm & see whats similar? Then check their myspace pages to see if you like the sound. Check the 'now listening to' thread up on here & from that have listen to bands myspace pages or stuff on youtube.

If 80's maiden is your thing why not check out lion's share? or pharoh? what never heard of them?

Of if its old school thrash why not check out warbringer? or evile? or lazarus a.d.? or gama bomb?
    +1 on all the above

I heard of evile through these here boards and can definitly give a big plus 1 to that! Modern day thrash metal - sounds like the 80s thrash but heavier.,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I have to say as well one of my favourite bands has to be Primordial. I got into them simply by picking up The Gathering Wilderness randomly one day a few years ago. Their only getting attention from the likes of metal hammer now on their 6th studio album. Think of all the people out there who might only be consisdering to look at them now cos metal hammer says so? & for years they went unnoticed to them.

All i'm trying to say is there great music out there if one is willing to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Damnit man, get Last.fm or something and keep an eye out for new releases to hear good metal that comes out nowadays, just watching Kerrang isn't going to give you any good representation of any genre. It's annoying that to lament the metal scene people name bands like Bullet for My Valentine or Avenged Sevenfold. Most popular metal nowadays is not a very good representation of Metalcore, nevermind metal as a whole.

Metalcore, Death Metal, Black Metal, Progressive Metal, Sludge... Lots of genres haven't suffered at all recently, but I notice that the people that prefer older metal prefer Thrash and Heavy metal, which I can't represent much.

Isis, Meshuggah, Between The Buried and Me, Amorphis, Agalloch, Altar of Plagues, Wolves in The Throne Room, Baroness, Hacride, Gojira...

LOADS of great bands release great music every week. The only difference between the 80's and 90's and now is that you have to look a bit more actively for music, but there's still good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think the OP needs to listen to bands like Volbeat and Voodoo Six

Whenever I think I've hit a brick wall with Metal, I discover there is something else out there

I will admit that it's harder to market newer acts these days, people and the ticket buyers and the promoters want a safe hand - i.e. nostalgic and classic.

I love Motley Crue, you can tell that, but I admit I think they should have stopped touring 10 years ago....as much as I love them and I am looking forward to seeing them in Sonisphere, I think the reason these bands continue to tour is so that more modern metal bands can be used as support acts on their tours. Its the same for Metallica, or it was before Death Magnetic, except of course the problem with them is that they just don't tour with an act then can take a chance on....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I love Motley Crue
    No, I never would have guessed that. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

For me personally i love the fact that Progressive Rock and Metal has found a massive resurgence over the last few years, and tbh some of the new and older bands combining to make a new Prog Scene(like Dt's Prog Nation tour) is simply outstanding, and long may it continue..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I have to say as well one of my favourite bands has to be Primordial. I got into them simply by picking up The Gathering Wilderness randomly one day a few years ago. Their only getting attention from the likes of metal hammer now on their 6th studio album. Think of all the people out there who might only be consisdering to look at them now cos metal hammer says so? & for years they went unnoticed to them.

All i'm trying to say is there great music out there if one is willing to look.

yep. Primordial are the kings of Irish metal and without a doubt one of the most innovative metal bands out at the moment.

Metal thats on the mags and on TV is always gonna be absolutely gack but in the underground, metal is as strong as ever and is only improving in quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Meshuggah, Opeth, Mastodon, Gojira, Nevermore to name but a few, I'd say modern metal is doing pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

yep. Primordial are the kings of Irish metal and without a doubt one of the most innovative metal bands out at the moment.

Metal thats on the mags and on TV is always gonna be absolutely gack but in the underground, metal is as strong as ever and is only improving in quality.

I'd have to admit I have lost track of metal somewhat in the past decade, so will admit maybe it's unfair for me to comment on this, but seems to me Metal is limping into old age and it's a law of diminishing returns now. Where are the genres like black and death that were so fresh and exciting back in the 90s? There are some decent bands but it just seems like a hodge podge of various genre off shoots now.

I guess am just getting older and it all looks too familliar now. Totally agree about Primordial though. To the Nameless Dead almost single handedly restored my faith in metal, it's that good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Everytime time i put on Scuzz/Kerrang and hear some Fallout Boy wannabe dickhead, i just listen to any of these bands and put my mind to ease that Metal is still going strong, and can still be influential and envelope pushing..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I think that music that's around today is as good as it ever was, if you're willing to search for it. Most good bands are no longer given airtime on tv or radio, which is quite sad.

The people above have named loads of great bands. Just look around and you'll find brilliant stuff.

The music on Kerrang and Scuzz is no longer indicative of what's good, it's indicative of what's popular. :p (I'm not saying that none of it is good but most of it is the same tired formula used over and over again where the music ends up all sounding the same.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Max Power1 wrote: »
    kerrang is not, and never was, representative of the metal scene)

+1

Considering what I listen to, barely any of that would really be on Kerrang. I listen to what I like, and seeing as I like it, I obviously don't think it's "sh*t". I like a few pretty recent bands too, but they'd generally be lower key than getting Kerrang airtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Jako8 wrote: »
    The music on Kerrang and Scuzz is no longer indicative of what's good, it's indicative of what's popular

Except for when Nu Metal was at it's height, I don't think Kerrang was ever indicative of what was going on...and Scuzz, is literally a joke of a channel that should be ignored as much as Channel U

Do you remember when Kerrang used to have censored videos that you could only request after 10pm...and they'd always be Limp Bizkit 'Break Stuff' and Metallica's 'Whiskey In The Jar' lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

*Prequel to the Sequel*

I think I love you.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jemser

inkyglide wrote: »
    Well, I have to say that metal that is usually on TV these days DOES blow! I mean back in the day...you could turn on MTV et.c and actually see bands like Maiden to Megadeth but now it's filled with screamo bands and reality shows! I mean..last I knew MTV (for example) meant music telly not crap telly lol.

Man if they invented a time machine id travel back to 1982 and watch Maiden and Megadeth on MTV all day........:)
    Well said Uncle Ricco(Napolean Dynamite)
    3e8785767ddd953c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Murts-Rig

shampon wrote: »

Agreed!

Apart from Daninator "return of the Klauss!" of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I have to say as well one of my favourite bands has to be Primordial.
    yep. Primordial are the kings of Irish metal and without a doubt one of the most innovative metal bands out at the moment
    Agreed if you are on this forum (an Irish-based board about rock/metal) and not heard or heard of Primordial then you need to log off now and listen to The Nameless Dead or The Gathering Wilderness (all their stuff is great but start there). This is should be mandatory as an Irish person who listens to metal.

Everyone who agrees with the OP seems to take their cues from Kerrang (really?) and MetalHammer (again really?) or similar. These outlets are not in anyway shape or form indicative of modern metal, indicative of what the big labels are trying to sell as Rock/Metal but nothing to do with actual metal.

Even just look at the bands from these shores alone, the aforementioned Primordial, Stand Up Guy, Residual Effect, I'll Eat Your Face (last album a free download on Bandcamp), Hexxed, Scald, Mourning Beloveth, Abaddon Incarnate, People Of The Monolith and many more.

Contemporary metal is neither **** nor dead just look beyond the latest Roadrunner P.O.S. and what Kerrang et al are pushing on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Primordial suck

Advertisement