Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal? What the **** happened

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 inkyglide

As with many topics..be it music or whatever..not everyone is going to agree and to be honest it's really hard to do anything "original" these days when it comes to metal..however, the bands that DO come out that catches my "ear" can give their own personal touch.
    I am not a fan nor will I ever will be of bands like Bullet for my Valentine, Trivium and **** like that where they try to be a total rip-off of another bands sound. Trivium always reminded me a bad version of Metallica. Yes, they became a sucess but I don't think half the bands that come out these days will be remembered as say Mayhem, Maiden, or Megadeth...

(just my opinion which we all have a right to have :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I'll be honest, if BFMV were an Instrumental band, I'd be much happier...it's that guys vocals I can't stand...even though his guitar work isn't terrible
    +1
    They sound like a teen angst band, vocally anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm out of touch with the current metal scene but if it's anything like the rubbish that I catch on Kerrang TV as I flick through the channels, well then it's doomed.
    Kerrang = emo bullsh|t. It shows pop music mainly. F**k, Kerrang and Scuzz sometimes have the same emo bulsh|t on AT THE SAME TIME.

If I want metal, I put on 0110 (I think it is) for Classic Rock :cool: Heck, I'd rather put on 369 (classic music) than listen to Kerrang half the time.

=-=

Heck, I'm listening to Alestorm (Pirate Metal) which ye wouldn't get on Scuzz or Kerang. Forget where i found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

the_syco wrote: »
    Heck, I'm listening to Alestorm (Pirate Metal) which ye wouldn't get on Scuzz or Kerang. Forget where i found it.

Do you know Swashbuckle? They don't do the folky-music kind of pirate thing that Alestorm do, they just dress as pirates and play awesome death metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Ahhh BFMV the band to whom I owe my current taste in Music, even if I don't listen to them that much anymore.

I saw an interview where Matt Tuck pretty much said that they don't consider themsleves a metal band, just a metal influenced rock band or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I hate that overprocessed guitar sound they have, they're all clones of each other, like avenged sevenfold, they're ****

They are a terrible band, and I wish the likes of Metal Hammer would stop going on about them. There are far better bands out there.
    sentient_6 wrote: »
    I have to say as well one of my favourite bands has to be Primordial. I got into them simply by picking up The Gathering Wilderness randomly one day a few years ago. Their only getting attention from the likes of metal hammer now on their 6th studio album. Think of all the people out there who might only be consisdering to look at them now cos metal hammer says so? & for years they went unnoticed to them.

All i'm trying to say is there great music out there if one is willing to look.

I heard the 'The Gathering Wilderness' myself back in 2006, and I was blown away by it. I thought that the 'Nameless Dead' was somewhat of a dissapointment though. I much prefer the metal of the 80's and 90's with bands like Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Katatonia, Old Man's Child, Tiamat, Immortal, Megadeth, Gehenna, Cradle, Type O Negative etc, releasing some of their best albums that they would never better.

On the plus side there are some amazing albums of recently like 'The Voice of Steel' by Nokturnal Mortum, 'Skyforger' by Amorphis, 'A Taste of of Extreme Divinity' by Hypocrisy, 'Circle The Wagons' by Darkthrone and of course 'Night Eternal' by Moonspell and anything by Agalloch. Unfortunatley magazines like Metal Hammer and Kerrang will never really give these bands that much credit and or praise. Another thing I hate about todays metal, is that most of these more popular bands have an awful watered down guitar sound, terrible drumming and just couldn't make a stunning song even if they tried. Thankfully Terrorizer is a much better magazine than those two, and they will give all those bands the credit they deserve.:D

I tend to ignore new metal bands nowadays, and instead I love hearing albums from the past like most people here. I recently discovered 'Seen Through The Veils of Darkness and First Spell' by Gehenna, and they are truly fantastic. I also heard 'On a Storyteller's Night' by Magnum, and that is another stunning album. Also as regards new metal bands, I truly can't stand Airbourne, Mastodon, Lamb of God, Avenged Sevenfold etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I do like some "new" metal, but a lot of the newer bands I'd listen to would be more underground usually, and not likely to get huge press like BFMV, A7X etc. (though I don't mind A7X too much)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

I much prefer the metal of the 80's and 90's with bands like Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Katatonia, Old Man's Child, Tiamat, Immortal, Megadeth, Gehenna, Cradle, Type O Negative etc, releasing some of their best albums that they would never better.

Totally agree.....a lot of it is down to age I think, but still there was a sense of excitment and inventiveness in the 80s/90s that I am really just not seeing anymore. At least not to any great extent.

. Also as regards new metal bands, I truly can't stand Airbourne, Mastodon, Lamb of God, Avenged Sevenfold etc.
    Wow - I cant say I agree.. Mastodon and LOG are two of the few modern metal bands worth listening to.

Airbourne, take or leave, its like a clone of ACDC, and Avenged Sevenfold - well they really are a polar division amongst R&M fans, its either like or hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

I heard the 'The Gathering Wilderness' myself back in 2006, and I was blown away by it. I thought that the 'Nameless Dead' was somewhat of a dissapointment though. I much prefer the metal of the 80's and 90's with bands like Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Katatonia, Old Man's Child, Tiamat, Immortal, Megadeth, Gehenna, Cradle, Type O Negative etc, releasing some of their best albums that they would never better.

I truly can't stand Airbourne, Mastodon, Lamb of God, Avenged Sevenfold etc.

Couldnt agree more the likes of Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Katatonia, Old Man's Child, along with 1000's of other unreal bands, that arent that well known.

Also your comment on these bands "Airbourne, Mastodon, Lamb of God, Avenged Sevenfold" ....is 100% accurate i could add to it but the list would be too long!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the 70s/80s were the peak of the genre, its been downhill since then, does anyone really think any of todays bands will still be able to attract 80k in 30 years time like ac/dc can today :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Listening to a band called "Texas Hippie Coalition" last night. Check them out. The internet allows us to see a lot of bands that we otherwise wouldn't know about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

I might get crucified for this, but who cares?

Rammstein are good, Cannibal Corpse are OK if you're into that sort of thing.

Also Nargaroth and Forest Silence, all of those are fairly recent bands, and they're pratty darn good IMO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

cypharius wrote: »
    Cannibal Corpse are OK if you're into that sort of thing.

I am, and I love them :D not gonna crucify you though for an opinion :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I might get crucified for this, but who cares?

Rammstein are good, Cannibal Corpse are OK if you're into that sort of thing.

Also Nargaroth and Forest Silence, all of those are fairly recent bands, and they're pratty darn good IMO.
    Why do you think you'd get crucified for posting that?

Malice_ wrote: »
    Why do you think you'd get crucified for posting that?

Most people don't like Canibal Corpse, and most people hate Black Metal so Nargaroth and Forest Silence would be mocked?

Most people don't like Canibal Corpse, and most people hate Black Metal so Nargaroth and Forest Silence would be mocked?

I can't stand Canibal Corpse. I did try to get into them at one stage, but I found them to be boring, predictable and not that adventurous. I love black metal but not the brutal stuff though. I might check out those bands you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Have you guys heard of Kalmah? I'm not a huge fan of "screaming" Metal, but these guys are the only ones that I've heard that come close to Iron maiden level of guitar music. Some of their older albums are genius.

A couple of songs to get you started.

Heroes to us (actually has great lyrics if you can understand them lol)
    The Black Waltz (the album rocks)
    They will Return

Also, check out Ensiferum, they are a bit different in that they like to mix in some viking folk instruments with the metal, but it sounds awesome.

LAI LAI HEI is a legendary song of theirs.

Album to listen to is Iron

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Fair point I suppose but most people don't post on the Rock & Metal forum and those that do are more likely to be fans of those bands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

As a rock dinosaur whos been there and is still around i point to the early 90s when the great metal scene went into permanent decline from which it has never recovered properly -its in a coma in human terms :eek:the only ones keeping it alive are the big bands like maiden acdc megadeth slayer etc the bands that were around in the heydays-without the big bands theres nothing major i repeat MAJOR metal band that has come through in years.
    put that in your pipe and smoke it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

As a fellow dino I'd respectfully differ with you on this Lemmy.
    I think that metal as a genre has waxed and waned in popularity over the years for various reasons, many of them sociological, etc but I still think that some of the music that's around now is pretty good and is right up there with the best.

Personally, I loved early 70s metal as a kid, hated 80s hair metal and had very little time for most of the 90s stuff but am loving so much metal of recent years. Long may it last.

As a rock dinosaur whos been there and is still around i point to the early 90s when the great metal scene went into permanent decline from which it has never recovered properly -its in a coma in human terms :eek:the only ones keeping it alive are the big bands like maiden acdc megadeth slayer etc the bands that were around in the heydays-without the big bands theres nothing major i repeat MAJOR metal band that has come through in years.
    put that in your pipe and smoke it :p

Thats true about Maiden keeping it alive. I think the other albums by Megadeth, Slayer and Metallica were very very dissapointing, to me anyway. I'd have to add that also Moonspell, Amon Amarth, Amorphis, Nokturnal Mortum, Paradise Lost, Hypocrisy and Darkthrone are keeping the flame of metal very much alive.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

old gregg wrote: »
    As a fellow dino I'd respectfully differ with you on this Lemmy.
    I think that metal as a genre has waxed and waned in popularity over the years for various reasons, many of them sociological, etc but I still think that some of the music that's around now is pretty good and is right up there with the best.

Personally, I loved early 70s metal as a kid, hated 80s hair metal and had very little time for most of the 90s stuff but am loving so much metal of recent years. Long may it last.

what sociological reasons are there for the decline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 JazzPotato

I have no interest in metal releases of the past 4 to 5 years bar a few...

Is this due to a decline in the state of metal or because of my addiction to electro? Both probably :p

The last truly great metal album I can think of was The Blackening by Machine Head.

JazzPotato wrote: »
    I have no interest in metal releases of the past 4 to 5 years bar a few...

Is this due to a decline in the state of metal or because of my addiction to electro? Both probably :p

The last truly great metal album I can think of was The Blackening by Machine Head.
    Electro? :confused:. Theres the door ->

:P

But, with the exception of mastodon's Crack the Skye, The Blackening is probably the best metal album released in the past 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I agree with the general consensus about metal on TV being rubbish these days. I remember a few years ago, you could turn on Scuzz or even Kerrang and have Rammstein, Dimmu Borgir, Slipknot, Slayer etc. being prominent in the rotation.

Now all you'd get is (IMO) crap like Paramore, bullet for my valentine and all these kind of bands. Yes, there is a lot of people who are into that kind of stuff but I'm posting with regard to what I'm into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Anyone who says metal is crap nowadays is just looking in the wrong places.

I agree with the general consensus about metal on TV being rubbish these days. I remember a few years ago, you could turn on Scuzz or even Kerrang and have Rammstein, Dimmu Borgir, Slipknot, Slayer etc. being prominent in the rotation.

Now all you'd get is (IMO) crap like Paramore, bullet for my valentine and all these kind of bands. Yes, there is a lot of people who are into that kind of stuff but I'm posting with regard to what I'm into.

I think Slipknot is a prime example of why people think all metal today is crap. Also(And this time I really WILL get crucified for this) most of Slayers stuff sounds the same to me, I listened to World Painted Blood, it sounds the same as God Hates Us All. Slayer are quite boring IMO.

I think Slipknot is a prime example of why people think all metal today is crap. Also(And this time I really WILL get crucified for this) most of Slayers stuff sounds the same to me, I listened to World Painted Blood, it sounds the same as God Hates Us All. Slayer are quite boring IMO.

+1

Theres one of the lyrics from the new song Playing with dolls "Die in front of me" where it actually sounds exactly the same as the line "god hates us all" from the song of the same name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

This is why music is so subjective. Many will say they love Slayer(for example) for that very reason. You know what you're getting with them. On the other hand a band like Metallica(for example) decide to try something different(eg.Load/Re-Load) and get slated for changing their sound.

Tbh i don't listen to much new stuff myself these days. I tend to listen to stuff from the 80's and early 90's. No recent bands have grabbed my attention,i've given some of them a go but they just don't cut it for me at all.

Advertisement