Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle Development

Options
  • 18-07-2010 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I would like to get into oracle development-any ideas of where to start from?

On oracle sites, seems like i have to pay for most basic tutorials, just found this though http://www.oracle.com/technology/getting-started/sqldev.html

Any advice, tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

First question, are you a programmer? If so, what have you programmed (as in what type of apps, what languages)?

Second question, what experience do you have with Oracle?

In my experience (Oracle Certified Professional in DB Administration, as opposed to developer), a lot of people start off as programmers in various languages and migrate to Oracle development either by luck, or via a project that uses Oracle.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't and actual Oracle certification in development, but there are plenty of development classes. These classes typically cost around 2,500 Euro in Oracle HQ in Eastpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I am not a programmer but I studied Computer Science in college.
    I test oracle applications; a colleague of mine suggested oracle development to me yesterday as she thinks I can do well in it.
    The plan is to talk to my manager and inform him of my interest, but I want to learn as much as I can on my own before approaching the boss as it could be a career change.

I know about the classes, but i cannot afford them now

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I am not a programmer but I studied Computer Science in college.
    I test oracle applications; a colleague of mine suggested oracle development to me yesterday as she thinks I can do well in it.
    The plan is to talk to my manager and inform him of my interest, but I want to learn as much as I can on my own before approaching the boss as it could be a career change.

What kind of testing do you do?

To take it a little further, just how much access to the database do you have?

Also (sorry about all the questions :D) what software do you use to test?

Do you use anything like SQL Developer or PL/SQL Devloper or any such similar software?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Answer all those questions and you'll get a detailed answer!

But I would suggest downloading and installing Oracle XE and SQL developer/TOAD/equivalent.

Then you should just play around with being a DBA, create users, tables, put in some sample data. Use Toad (or whatever) to view data, interrogate it and run SQL queries. There are plenty of resources online, from handy walkthroughs of certain aspects e.g. using imp.exe to import a dump file to a more structured approach: http://dbis.ucdavis.edu/courses/sqltutorial/tutorial.pdf

good luck (and also consider having a look at MS SQL server databases as an alternative)

Lol... I'll answer all the questions

Sofware Testing
    SQL+
    Web applications

I found this: http://www.oracle.com/technology/getting-started/sqldev.html

It's quite helpful, downloaded Sqldeveloper and I just created my first application, going to work on some of the tutorials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If you're going that direction and want to do the training then ask you boss would the company pay for it.

I doubt they will, i'm only new... Maybe in a few months but would like to get as many tutorials and exposure as possible.

MIN2511 wrote: »
    It's quite helpful, downloaded Sqldeveloper and I just created my first application, going to work on some of the tutorials

Ah.

This is why I asked you if you had any prior programming experience. :)

Not meaning to get all pedantic on you, but it sounds like what you created was an SQL statement rather than an application. Can you paste it up here?

An application would typically consist of two, maybe three layers - the front end (i.e. what the user sees) possibly a middle layer, and the backend (i.e. the database). Of course, it all depends on your definition of an application.

To be honest, using PL/SQL to learn programming is probably not the best way to go. I would suggest learning another language first, then applying what you know to PL/SQL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

This is a good book and is a study guide for certification in the exam Tom mentioned, Oracle Database Administrator (DBA) and also Oracle Forms Developer.

Oracle 10g: SQL
    Oracle 10g: SQL prepares students for the first exam in both the Oracle Database Administrator (DBA) and Oracle Forms Developer certification tracks and offers them a solid understanding of Oracle10g and how to use it effectively. This textbook is not simply a study guide; it is written for individuals who have just a basic knowledge of databases and can be utilized in a course on this latest implementation of SQL from Oracle. Students begin with a solid foundation for creating databases (7 chapters) then strengthen their knowledge in creating queries (7 chapters). To assist students in bridging SQL topics to further studies, the last two chapters introduce students to SQL tuning, compare Oracle?s SQL syntax to other databases (MS SQL Server and MySQL) and describe how SQL can be embedded in applications (ASP.net). This textbook also covers SQL*Plus and iSQL*Plus so students can identify and distinguish the differences between these interfaces.

Also there is a newer version, Oracle 11G: SQL.

Advertisement