Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bearcat

Options
  • 18-07-2010 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Had a discussion last night about various pubs in Sligo.

I mentioned a pub called The Bearcat (or Bear Cat), which I think was in Bridge street back in the 90's. No one had ever heard of it.

So I got home last night questioning my sanity!

Can anyone confirm the existence of this bar?

I remember it had a Goth feeling about it. Dark, with candles on the counter with the wax spreading out along the counter.

But the main reason I remember it was because there was a pinball machine down the end.

Hope someone remembers this place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Can't say I do I'm afraid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

That's weird, I definitely don't remember that place! Did a quick google, didn't find anything about a pub, however apparently there actually is an animal called a bearcat! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sungem

Was it the Bective?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

sungem wrote: »
    Was it the Bective?

Yeah it was the old Bective Hotel before that, think it was the "Beercat" not "Bearcat".

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

where the weekender offices are now...was kelly's hotel then the bective... i may be misremembering but i thought the name was spelled with a "z" on the end like the car 'bearcatz'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Thanks for the replies.

Thought I was losing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

No, you're not losing it :D it did exist, can't quite remember whether there was a z in the name or not. Had a bit of a reputation for underage drinking, and I should remember, I was of that age back then. Wasn't a bad place at all, although as teenagers, we couldn't afford to be picky. And there was a pinball machine down the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bcalchess

Wester wrote: »
    No, you're not losing it :D it did exist, can't quite remember whether there was a z in the name or not. Had a bit of a reputation for underage drinking, and I should remember, I was of that age back then. Wasn't a bad place at all, although as teenagers, we couldn't afford to be picky. And there was a pinball machine down the back.

Not much to add except it definitely existed & I was also one of those teenagers. Was the early 90s sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

It was Bridge St in the Kelly's Hotel/Bective building the licence must have camefrom the Hotel. Mousey Cawley ran it; it opened about !933 or 1994 and was there for about 4 years. It was associated with the dance music scene but was decorated by local artist Robert Cadman who was influenced by Celtic Myth. If there was an underage element it was towards the end at the beginning it was a pretty good bar. The Bearcat name was inspired I believe by an enthusiasim for brazilian waxs and the like by its owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Thanks for the info.

I think I was in the bar twice.

Those were the days when pinball was popular.

Used to play in Beezies, Bearcat and a bar on The Mall.

Those were the days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

ha, i had a discussion about the bearcat a few months ago - yeah twas a regular haunt of the underage drinker that could pass as the proper end of 16/17. great place. ha!!! and beezies was another great place - oh man - the memories.... start in the bearcat, quick one in beezies before heading to the clarence.... man oh man.... :o

Advertisement