Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rodent - Tail Degloving

Options
  • 18-07-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

Ok, I really dont know how it happened all I know is my Shaw's Jird (over-sized gerbil) was out of his cage for a while yesterday and when he was back in it I noticed the end of his tail was skinned. There was nothing he could have tore it on and the epidermis of the tail was in his cage. My housemate and I (he is a vet student) washed the tail is saline solution and used Sudocrem on it, We changed his bedding and everything. He didnt seem in shock though the tail seemed to have lost nearly 2 inches of skin, this morning he is back to his usual self only he has bitten off the exposed tail.

Is this ok?

He seems very content, is eating, drinking and taking dust baths happily and is even after letting my son try and rub him as usual (try being the word, he doesnt usually succeed but I think it is a game they play)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure but keep a close eye and if there's any sign of infection have an experienced rodent vet look at it. Saline solution is great but it can also irritate and make them nibble at their tail as well so I guess just keep it clean perhas a very weak solution of water with a drop of lavender oil may help the healing. Not sure is Sudocreme is safe or not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

never heard of a jird doing this! I have had this happen with both chipmunks & with my degus - what the animal did after the skin was lost was to chew the naked piece of tail off! Scary to see & makes you feel horrid! In both of the species I have had this happen to it is a natural defense mechanism. In the wild if grabbed they drop the tails & run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

If he has removed the exposed portion of tail himself and the remaining wound is not too large, I'd keep it clean as you are doing. Because the tail is muscular however, you may find as it heals it 'shrinks' back a little (I don't know how to explain it well, but I know what it looks like), so there'll be a little nub of almost-exposed bone at the very end. If the wound is very fresh you may want to have a vet stitch the skin together at the end for this reason.

If it's already started to seal over and heal, probably keep it clean with saline and watch for any signs of infection at the wound site (discharge, redness, swelling, heat) as rodents go downhill very fast when sick.
    Otherwise they'll be ok. I had a rat needed to get half her tail amputated before. She was grand afterwards, but the poor pet couldn't jump like she used to.

Advertisement