Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very high dewpoints today

Options
  • 18-07-2010 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

There are some rare high dewpoints in the southeast today as a tongue of subtropical air crosses the country, separated from the cooler airmass to the north and west. The chart below shows the strength of the Theta-E gradient, 52°C in the southeast, 31°C in the far northwest.

Temp/Dewpoints at 12pm

East of front:

Casement 20/18
    Oak Park 19/18
    Dublin Airport 20/17

West of front:
    Finner 18/11
    Knock 16/13
    Claremorris 18/13

I wonder what's the highest dewpoint ever recorded in Ireland? I'm sure low 20s have been reached.

120665.jpg

Compare these dewpoints to the rest of Europe....only the Med has higher.

120674.gif

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

If that warm air gets up here in time for about 22/23c then we might get 21c?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

owenc wrote: »
    If that warm air gets up here in time for about 22/23c then we might get 21c?

It won't. In fact, the lowest theta-e values are for Coleraine later this evening/tonight!! :P

120668.gif

Well at least we won't be stuck in that muggy air. sweating like pigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

owenc wrote: »
    Well at least we won't be stuck in that muggy air. sweating like pigs.

It is pleasant in the south east at the moment, just right, more rain later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Interesting to have such high dew points, here temp is 18.2 and DP 17.1. Its mucky outside but it doesn't feel that cool, even slightly pleasant in the mist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Dp maxed out at 17.8C
    Still 17C now but quite windy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Interesting discussion. I was just noticing on the current satellite imagery that skies over France, Benelux and Iberia are virtually clear. Quite unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rd_milltown

I recall a 19/18 at Dublin Airport also last Saturday or Sunday (I can't remember).

This evening's jog could be a clammy one ( and possibly a wet one - http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/6hr-rain.gif !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Uppper moisture content sat showing highest levels being pumped up towards Ireland inbetween drier polar air to the west and contenental air to the SE:

120684.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got a DP of 17.8c at midday in South Laois... steamin! :D

• Advertisement

Though you said i wouldn't get the muggy air its 19c with a dp of 18c and thats going to be even worse later when its 21c in the rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Just had highest dewpoint of year. 25th Jul
    18.9C

Advertisement