Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair cancelled my flight with no advance warning

Options
  • 18-07-2010 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

I was in munich 2 weeks ago and i had booked in advance a ryanair ticket out of munich. Out of the blue the flight was canceled for some unknown reason leaving myself and about 300 other people stranded in munich airport. So i had to stay there all night standing in the airport (no hotel provided) and i had to book myself a seperate outgoing flight with my own money with air lingus. Am i entitled to a refund?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

did they have your mobile number ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

According to this, you are only entitled to your money back for the flight that was cancelled.

Did you have travel insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

http://www.aviationreg.ie/Cancellation/Default.209.html
    Ryanair will say anything to avoid paying any kind of compensation, but that doesn't mean they are allowed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

jor el wrote: »
    http://www.aviationreg.ie/Cancellation/Default.209.html
    Ryanair will say anything to avoid paying any kind of compensation, but that doesn't mean they are allowed to.

Eh im in bit of a rut then. The flight that was cancelled cost 75euro and it was due to a thunderstorm. Had it landed i would had been home that sunday night. Ryanair did offer me a flight back home but it was on thursday morning. I had work all that week from monday onwards so i had to get home on sunday. I find it odd that despite their being a thunderstorm i was still able to get a air lingus plane to dublin that exact same night....for 200 euro!! and according to that site you linked because it was a 'meteorological event' ryanair dont have to pay me back for 75euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

No, there is a difference between compensation for a cancelled flight and reimbursement for a cancelled ticket.

From the site:

t is very important to note that compensation is distinct from and separate to the notion of reimbursement of expenses and/ or the refund of the cost of an unused flight ticket.

• Advertisement

Improbable wrote: »
    No, there is a difference between compensation for a cancelled flight and reimbursement for a cancelled ticket.

From the site:

t is very important to note that compensation is distinct from and separate to the notion of reimbursement of expenses and/ or the refund of the cost of an unused flight ticket.

I dont understand that quote....will i get the 75 euro back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

yes, you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

hello932 wrote: »
    I dont understand that quote....will i get the 75 euro back?

http://schchng.ryanair.com/refweb.asp

Fill in the form and you'll get the refund !

http://schchng.ryanair.com/refweb.asp

Fill in the form and you'll get the refund !

Ok i filled in the form...but the extra 200 euro i paid for a last minute ticket home from air lingus...i wont be refunded that according to that link from the irish aviation authority...that really pisses me off...obviously a booked ticket to home done in advance would be way cheaper than a emergency spur of the moment purchase...god i hate ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

it sucks but its ryanair unfortunately. suck it up and forget it. Personally I don't ryanair anywhere unless it is seriously worth it and usually aer lingus etc are charging only marginally more anyways.
    You were lucky 200 euro isn't expensive compared to other routes last minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Ok i filled in the form...but the extra 200 euro i paid for a last minute ticket home from air lingus...i wont be refunded that according to that link from the irish aviation authority...that really pisses me off...obviously a booked ticket to home done in advance would be way cheaper than a emergency spur of the moment purchase...god i hate ryanair.

To be fair if you did the same thing with aer lingus you'd be in same situation.

You can't just go and book another flight for an indeterminate amount of money and expect them to pay for it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I was in munich 2 weeks ago and i had booked in advance a ryanair ticket out of munich. Out of the blue the flight was canceled for some unknown reason leaving myself and about 300 other people stranded in munich airport. So i had to stay there all night standing in the airport (no hotel provided) and i had to book myself a seperate outgoing flight with my own money with air lingus. Am i entitled to a refund?

Must have been a very large B737 to take c.300 pax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I think RyanAir stack two people to a seat now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

a 747 could hold more than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I think RyanAir stack two people to a seat now...

and standing in the aisles too :D

300 people easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

delllat wrote: »
    a 747 could hold more than that

But RyanAir do not have any, only 737's

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They must have installed the standing "seats":D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Ryanair fly to Munich? News to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Memmingen, which is Munich MOL style!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

kelle wrote: »
    Memmingen, which is Munich MOL style!

Funny they said they got an Aer Lingus flight from the airport... ;) Clearly this poster is just a troll. This didn't really happen.
    • 300 pax
    • Ryanair and "Air Lingus" using the same magic "Munich airport"
    • No warning of the cancellation.

Ballocks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Eh im in bit of a rut then. The flight that was cancelled cost 75euro and it was due to a thunderstorm. Had it landed i would had been home that sunday night. Ryanair did offer me a flight back home but it was on thursday morning. I had work all that week from monday onwards so i had to get home on sunday. I find it odd that despite their being a thunderstorm i was still able to get a air lingus plane to dublin that exact same night....for 200 euro!! and according to that site you linked because it was a 'meteorological event' ryanair dont have to pay me back for 75euro?
    this is what you were entitled to claim at the airport
    Cancellation upon arrival at the airport.

In the event of a cancellation without prior notification the Regulation provides the following:

* The air carrier shall provide a written notice setting out the rules for assistance in line with Article 14(2) of the Regulation. In addition, a sign must be displayed at the check-in area with the following text:

"If you are denied boarding or if your flight is cancelled or delayed for at least two hours, ask a the check-in counter or boarding gate for the text stating your rights, particularly with regard to compensation and assistance"

Passengers must also be offered care and assistance free of charge while waiting for their rerouted flight– specifically, meals and refreshments in reasonable relation to the waiting time, hotel accommodation in cases where an overnight stay becomes necessary, transport between the airport and place of accommodation and two telephone calls, emails, faxes or telexes.
    An alternative flight at the earliest opportunity or by comparable transport to the final destination.
    A full refund of the ticket for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose to the passenger’s original travel plan or when relevant a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity.
    When a city, town or region is served by several airports, a carrier may offer a flight to an alternative airport to that originally booked. The carrier is then obliged to bear the cost of transferring the passenger to the airport to that which the booking was made or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Yeah it seems a bit strange what the OP says, or maybe they have not given all the facts to the story:

Ryanair do fly to Munich, the Airport is Memmingen which is 1 hour 30 minutes away from Munich City Center

Aer Lingus fly into Franz Josef Strauss Airport which is a lot closer to Munich, 20 minutes on the S-Bhan

OP what exactly did you do? Stay standing in Memmingen airport all night, and then travel to Munich to get to Franz Josef Airport to get your Aer Ligus flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Funny they said they got an Aer Lingus flight from the airport... ;) Clearly this poster is just a troll. This didn't really happen.
    • 300 pax
    • Ryanair and "Air Lingus" using the same magic "Munich airport"
    • No warning of the cancellation.

Ballocks

And "So i had to stay there all night standing in the airport " / "got a flight the same night"

Advertisement