Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best lost/bootleg albums?

Options
  • 18-07-2010 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Just listening to Love's unreleased album "Black Beauty" and thinking about the best bootlegs or lost albums. Bob Dylan has "Blood on the Tapes" and "A Tree with Roots", the Beach Boys have "Smile", Neil Young has "Time Fades Away" and "Chrome Dreams", what do people think the best unreleased studio albums are? I'm not really talking about live gigs like Stevie Wonder's "Funkified Rainbow" (great though it is) that have been copied and circulated but rather albums that bands have recorded, nearly released, or in some cases, released and then pulled from further pressings.

I was reading that one of the session musicians on Dylan's Self Portrait reckons there's up to 70% of the stuff they recorded still unreleased in any format (bootleg or official), considering Dylan is his own bootlegger, he could be busy for ages yet. The official Brian Wilson presents Smile album was great but just made me wish I could hear what he had in mind back in the 1960's with the original voices an unmodified lyrics, even at his best, Brian wasn't the best singer in the Beach Boys.

What would you consider the best lost, or bootlegged, albums? In what cases do you think the band were stone crazy to not release the album (or song, in Dylan's "Blind Willie McTell" case). The Love album is verging on a Hendrix pastiche, but Arthur Lee has just enough genius to carry it off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭dasdog

Above mentioned Hendrix, The KPFA Tapes. Search and you will find it but if not here's a taster. Better than any official studio album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Oddly enough, one of the songs on the Hendrix bootleg (My Diary) is also on the bootleg of Love's I've mentioned above (though it's not part of Black Beauty), Arthur Lee, genius. Just listening to the rest of Hendrix stuff it seems mostly instrumentals? It's good stuff but i don't know if I have it ahead of Blood on the Tapes or Time Fades Away, Blood on the Tapes is an incredible album, imo, an even more personal version of Blood on the Tracks. Would love (and am waiting for) an official release of it a la the Beatles Let It Be... Naked (does that count as a bootleg of sorts?)

Advertisement