Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing now?

Options
  • 18-07-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭

So seeing as very few of you guys are on the battlefield lately, what are you playing? Is there any other multi player fun I'm missing out on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Have not been playing anything online lately. Maybe a sly game of BC2 before dinner, Been watching alot of films lately with the other half TBH.

And a little bit of GTA:Ballad of Gay Tony on Ps3 its great fun.....still I like L4D2 and have been playing a little bit of Monkey Island 2.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

COD4 and Trackmania

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

WoW at the moment, thinking about CODBO for Sept. Doubt even the Vietnam expansion would drag me back to BC2, unless that is they redo BFV, which knowing DICE I seriously doubt.

Lets face it lads the golden age of gaming is gone, wave it goodbye. Its now about **** quality and contstant wringing of the DLC mangle.

The days of BF1942 and MOH, COD, ET etc are long gone. I feel they should all be revived, but alas peeps cant see past the shiny graphics of current games.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

TheFairy wrote: »

The days of BF1942 and MOH, COD, ET etc are long gone. I feel they should all be revived, but alas peeps cant see past the shiny graphics of current games.

Myself and a buttload of others still play COD2. Thousands of servers still going strong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

WoW at the moment, thinking about CODBO for Sept. Doubt even the Vietnam expansion would drag me back to BC2, unless that is they redo BFV, which knowing DICE I seriously doubt.

Lets face it lads the golden age of gaming is gone, wave it goodbye. Its now about **** quality and contstant wringing of the DLC mangle.

Now get off my lawn.

If the golden age of gaming is over that means I've seen, lets see... 3 maybe 4 golden ages. I'm looking forward to the next one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Back into Battlefield 1 v1.0

still loads of servers + peeps playing it out there...
    ah the good old days of the jets when they was invincible :D

=JHS= clan have a few servers running.
    1 for airmaps
    1 for city maps
    1 for Karkland
    1 for Wake 2007 so plenty of choice :D

also meant to say they have the full ranking system, badges and awards etc..
    everyone starts from private again but you still have your unlocks :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Battlefield 2 here.Still keep going back to it.Cant beat a 64 player game of Karkand.

Thinking of trying Modern Warfare 2 but Ive a feeling its gonna be very similar to BC2.

Feck it Im even thinking of reinstalling Desert Combat to see if it still has the same attraction.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Back into Battlefield 1 v1.0

Anyway to downgrade to 1.0 without having to reinstall?Or even better is there a way to have both installed at the same time and switch between them as needed??

Probably too much to ask though^^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

the below, in the order of playability!

bc2 - panama canal only servers
    wow - dailies and weeklies only really
    mw2 - sh1te for the msot part
    l4d - good craic but everyone seems to have moved to l4d2

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Anyway to downgrade to 1.0 without having to reinstall?Or even better is there a way to have both installed at the same time and switch between them as needed??

Probably too much to ask though^^^^^^^

I'm working on it :) ...shouldn't be a problem I don't think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

So it looks like retro all the way then. might pick up cod for a few quick games.

I'm working on it :) ...shouldn't be a problem I don't think.

Let me know if you figure it out.

Let me know if you figure it out.

1. Install Battlefield 2 v1.0 as normal.
    2. Copy Battlefield 2 folder over to another drive or folder and create a shortcut for BF2.exe on your desktop (call it BF2 v1.0)
    3. Patch the original Battlefield upto 1.5.
    4. There'll be two shortcuts on your desktop then.
    One for BF2 1.0 and one for BF2 1.5 (both of them share your BF2 folder in your documents folder...

any probs with it and I can lay it out in more detail.

1. Install Battlefield 2 v1.0 as normal.
    2. Copy Battlefield 2 folder over to another drive or folder and create a shortcut for BF2.exe on your desktop (call it BF2 v1.0)
    3. Patch the original Battlefield upto 1.5.
    4. There'll be two shortcuts on your desktop then.
    One for BF2 1.0 and one for BF2 1.5 (both of them share your BF2 folder in your documents folder...

any probs with it and I can lay it out in more detail.

ignore the above..the v1.0 says the key is invalid :(
    Looks like you need it installed on 2 separate pcs

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

=JHS= clan have a few servers running.
    1 for airmaps
    1 for Wake 2007 so plenty of choice :D
    Nice one :D May pop back on one of the days. I got so bored with BC2 that I actually installed WoW. Anyone that knows me can safely assume that yes, thats how bad BC2 has become :( - I don't know, but something is missing from BC2 that was in '42, 'Nam, and even (but to a lesser extent) BF2. I give WoW a few months before I get bored, as they seem to like bringing out DLCs, and also this whole thing of paying to play the game is also odd. In saying that, I would have gone to Planetside a long time ago, if it didn't go crap by the time that I got a machine that could run it.
    Feck it Im even thinking of reinstalling Desert Combat to see if it still has the same attraction.
    If I go down that route, I'll look for a CTF bridge map that I played for weeks on end. You'd have 10 snipers on each side shooting each other, and a few would run to the other side to get the flag. Fun times. You'd win 3-2 after a few hours.
    I suppose it is, but at the same time, a few small games are popping up that I'm finding to be good. I also play another MMO called Crimecraft, but my interest in it is waning, as there are no serious MP side to it unless you form a clan.

I has €5.53 left in my paypal account, and gonna look for somewhere to sell me CoD2, or I'll wait until my next payday (found a way to directly put money into my paypal account without having to use a sh|tty 3V card). I remember playing it in FÁS, and also in one of my past jobs :D and enjoying it once I got half decent at it. Lack of any perks was nice.
    ignore the above..the v1.0 says the key is invalid :(
    Looks like you need it installed on 2 separate pcs
    I could be wrong, but didn't they encrypt the cd-key in some patch, as people were going into net-café's and stealing the keys using programs, or just looking in the registry? Could be related to this. Maybe configuring it so that there are two folders in the reg, one for 1.5, and one for 1.0 ?

the_syco wrote: »
    Nice one :D May pop back on one of the days. I got so bored with BC2 that I actually installed WoW.

Likewise--and honestly Im still not sure its for me...Ive never been a MMO fan.
    Anyone that knows me can safely assume that yes, thats how bad BC2 has become
    Ah Gerry cmon I was always more of a WoW hater than you :)

If I go down that route, I'll look for a CTF bridge map that I played for weeks on end. You'd have 10 snipers on each side shooting each other, and a few would run to the other side to get the flag. Fun times. You'd win 3-2 after a few hours.

Cant beat Lost Village tbh.
    I suppose it is, but at the same time, a few small games are popping up that I'm finding to be good. I also play another MMO called Crimecraft, but my interest in it is waning, as there are no serious MP side to it unless you form a clan.

You tried Alien Swarm yet--good game but Ive only played it in SP.We need 4 peeps to play it together and see what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

still on bc2.
    its a good game.

tried out the beta for MOH,
    and have to say i think its gona end up really ****.

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    still on bc2.
    its a good game.

Its too....consoley or something.Its like Dice gave up on the whole PC community that was the bread and butter of the Battlefield series in order to become more console focused.

Ive totally given up on it at this stage--dont think Ive logged on in nearly a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

its not as good as bf2 or 2142 if you look at them as the same game.

i just think its good in its own light.
    im just still liking it.

i been mainly playing as sniper lately,
    just kinda sitting back and havin a laugh taking people out ya know.

although i know what ya mean.
    it would be much better if there was clan matches brought in for it.
    id be playing it non stop if that was to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

I'm having fun playing agressive but sneaky recon at the moment. Using the G3 assualt rifle & C4. But I reckon I'll be bored again soon. Be interesting to see how many servers will be left in September when the server leases start running out.

Alien Storm is good fun. Requires 4 people at the higher levels. And don't run off on your own.

• Advertisement

You can already see a huge drop off in numbers for BC2 and servers..
    Craggy/S18 are both practically empty all week around.
    We're even set up our server (S18) so we can flip it back to BF2 on the fly if need be..and I reckon pretty soon we will be ;)

Hopefully DICE learn from this and make BF3 a game deserving of the title..otherwise it'll be just a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have been real busy lately and have no been playing anything lately. But I will be back to BC2 soon enuff.

But Alien Swarm is a good laugh for a free game....but L4D2 is still an UBER game....but you need 8 regular mates to get the COMEDY GOLD award. :D

Any1 play armed assault 2? I haven't but I hear good things on the games forum. Anyways there's a new addon coming for it.
    I've heard that originally it was bugged up to the hilt but there have been multiple patches out since.
    If it's anything like the original operation flahpoint that spawned it, those coop missions will be awe inspiring, the special ops missions were and still are the best coop missions I've ever played. The mod community actually remade the whole game as coop and by god it was some experience.
    I actually made some maps myself in the editor, it was so easy to do.
    I'm seriously considering buying arma2 and the addon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Any1 play armed assault 2? I haven't but I hear good things on the games forum. Anyways there's a new addon coming for it.
    I've heard that originally it was bugged up to the hilt but there have been multiple patches out since.
    If it's anything like the original operation flahpoint that spawned it, those coop missions will be awe inspiring, the special ops missions were and still are the best coop missions I've ever played. The mod community actually remade the whole game as coop and by god it was some experience.
    I actually made some maps myself in the editor, it was so easy to do.
    I'm seriously considering buying arma2 and the addon.

Operation Arrowhead was out a few weeks ago. You can get both together as a Combined Arms pack, but OA is standalone.

So Spear, what do you think? Will you be making a purchase?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So Spear, what do you think? Will you be making a purchase?

Already bought it, haven't tried it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

There's a boards crew for arma 2, OA is where it's at atm

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=141

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

seyeM wrote: »
    There's a boards crew for arma 2, OA is where it's at atm

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=141
    My one memory of OA was that when playing, forward would make you go prone. I joined a server. Those walking about only spoke French. And whilst here, 5 people joined. All 5 people had the same problem as me. There was already 3 people there standing up, and going prone, and then people started leaving, and I left. It does look like a nice shiney game, though. May get the full demo, to see if they've fixed it, and buy it if it's any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

COD4 and Trackmania

Fired up Trackmania Nations as I've barely played it since launch. Found there to be nothing but poorly designed tracks in the playlists of any server I joined. I came 4th in a race without completing a lap. :confused:

Is there a way to find decent tracks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Havent played an fps game since i got starcraft2, epic game, pity im so crap at it online

Advertisement