Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth?

Options
  • 18-07-2010 2:08pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

While rambling around Dublin yesterday myself and my son had a nosey in a gaming cafe near Abbey street and saw a couple of guys playing what looked like League of Legends or Heroes of Newerth, i didnt ask them what it was as i didnt wish to disturb their game :)
    Anyways it looked a fun game so im thinking of trying one or both out.
    I realise this could be a hot topic but its a genuine query from someone who really doesnt know anything about either of these games.
    Which is the better title? both seem remarkably similar to me a total noob.
    Can someone that played both maybe comment please?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Here we go again :pac:

Heroes of Newerth is totally awesome. It's already huge and it'll only get bigger. League of Legends tries the same formula but gameplay wise isnt as deep and immersive.

Both games have huge community support and regular competitions are always happening.

And I said only a few days ago, HoN > LoL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

beware the communities though. if you thought there was a lot of annoying prats on the internet before, one of those games will open your eyes to what really lurks beneath

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Jazzy lurks beneath :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Try LoL first if you enjoy it and want a bigger challenge try HoN. Your probably going to get high blood pressure from playing both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I never got around to playing either but know people who do. They said there is a lot of tards and fanboys on both. They did say LoL seems to have more tards lately due to patch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

If you haven't played DOTA id say go for League of Legends, its free anyway so no loss.

Personally i prefer HoN but i only played LoL for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

In my opinion, they are both as "deep and interesting" as the next. LoL has cutsey graphics, but that just adds to its charm, and keeps the technical requirements down.

LoL is also from the creators of DotA allstars, whereas HoN is a cash-in by another studio. Can't say that I blame them though. :p

The only point that matters though is: LoL is F2P and HoN is purchased. Try LoL if you like it and want a faster version, or get sick of the F2p; then play HoN.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ivan wrote: »
    Try LoL if you like it and want a faster version, or get sick of the F2p; then play HoN.

Sounds like a plan, thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dereko

IMHO LoL is just as immersive a game and in fact has better playablity. HoN suffers from trying to be to pretty and you can hardly tell what is going on in a big team battle with all the special effects going on. Less is more

The HoN Community has to be the worst I've ever played in. So much giving out its unnatural and really not enjoyable to play in. LoL has some of that too don't get me wrong but I find not a bad.

Basically if your not a Dota Zealot and want better game play and enjoyability try LoL. Don't take my word for it try both and see what you think. both games require a bit of effort though to get to learn and really enjoy it.

Love the genre though.

Well i had a quick go of LoL, pretty decent alright.
    My 7 year old son is loving it and is already racking up the kills :)

• Advertisement

oh if the kid is playing it i wouldnt let him near HoN with a bargepole. just too many a$sholes on it for anyone without a neck made of brass to enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Jazzy wrote: »
    oh if the kid is playing it i wouldnt let him near HoN with a bargepole. just too many a$sholes on it for anyone without a neck made of brass to enjoy

Indeed, about 95% of HoN players are compete degenerates, such a shame since the game is so good, and has a great modding community on the go as well. I've been making use of the 'Report a Player' function a few times recently, just hope something comes of it.

Note sure if theres voice comms ? If so we havent heard any and in fairness the young doesnt read and text onscreen, far too busy playing :)
    Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Dcully wrote: »
    Note sure if theres voice comms ? If so we havent heard any and in fairness the young doesnt read and text onscreen, far too busy playing :)
    Thanks guys.
    Don't think there's voice comms in LoL (truth be told I just started playing the other day because of this post), but there is in HoN. I'm just trying to figure out if HoN is worth buying, really enjoying League at the moment...the loading times before games is killing me, there always somebody with either a crap connection or crap computer going up by 1% a minute :(

Kazuma wrote: »
    Don't think there's voice comms in LoL (truth be told I just started playing the other day because of this post), but there is in HoN. I'm just trying to figure out if HoN is worth buying, really enjoying League at the moment...the loading times before games is killing me, there always somebody with either a crap connection or crap computer going up by 1% a minute :(

Yeah the load times are ridiculously long.

I finally got around to playing LoL. Got called a noob but people were joking about it. I was feeding by mistake though :S

Loading times are insanely long. I don't know if this pvp.net is any good of a server system. I hope valve put out their own version of dota as rumoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Oh if you're into LoL, HotshotGG does nice streaming, he's #2 in the US or something and it's amazing to watch him play and hear the commentary. He's a bit big headed, but you probably have to be:

http://clgaming.net/livestream.php

Drakar wrote: »
    Oh if you're into LoL, HotshotGG does nice streaming, he's #2 in the US or something and it's amazing to watch him play and hear the commentary. He's a bit big headed, but you probably have to be:

http://clgaming.net/livestream.php

Will do but I'm a complete noob. I think I'll go Sivir as i hard she is an easy to play champion and pushing isn't that hard.

Well i had played some Sivir and I really like Leagues of Legends. I told my team mates at the start I was a noob and there was no moaning about it even when i stole a champion kill.

Really nice game.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Well i had played some Sivir and I really like Leagues of Legends. I told my team mates at the start I was a noob and there was no moaning about it even when i stole a champion kill.

Really nice game.

FEEDER KS NOOB! :mad:

=p

• Advertisement

i really have to write a guide for dota/hon type games. been on my mind to do so for a while

Jazzy wrote: »
    i really have to write a guide for dota/hon type games. been on my mind to do so for a while

Could be handy, Jazzy.

There is more than likely more dota clones/moba games coming. We have at the moment dota then LoL, HoN and now Avanlon Heroes. Its turning into a popular genre.

Bloodline: Champions as well, tho thats a bit different to what ive heard. going on hols on friday so ill do it after :p

Valve are working on one too with some of the dota devs. That will have huge potential given the steam marketing,userbase etc Valve brings to the party.

Also http://leaguecraft.com/ is good for guides (LoL only).

What I think could be great would be a dota FPS hybrid. Imagine something like a dota tf2 map with minions, upgrades (ala skills for kills if anyone remembers that) etc.

A lot of people must be playing LoL on poor PCs as the load time is crazy. Leavers is also annoying but I haven't loss any matches due to it.

A lot of people must be playing LoL on poor PCs as the load time is crazy. Leavers is also annoying but I haven't loss any matches due to it.

Exactly why i stopped playing days after starting.

Dcully wrote: »
    Exactly why i stopped playing days after starting.

Did you try HoN afterwards?

Yeah i tried the 7 day free play but tbh i didnt play more than 2-3 matches as starcraft had my attention.
    Seemed very good though with slightly better gfx but similar gameplay to LOL
    Maps etc loaded so much faster too, the whole launcher application seemed more refined and polished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I played HoN and thought it was a good game, but the community killed it tbh.Couldn't stand playing the game with a bunch of inbreds.There are some nice people there, but it seems like the vast majority are assh0les.

Advertisement