Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BSOD and XP Boot Disc

• 18-07-2010 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My computer recently started BSODing about 15 seconds after I log onto any profile, I tried to go into Safe mode but the same thing happened.

I decided to use the repair function on the XP disc (If I'm right in assuming there is one) but whenever I get to the install windows screen, the 'numpad' light on my keyboard goes of (Logitech USB keyboard) and it won't respond;

Here are the details of the crash,

Stop:0X0000001a (0x00041284,0x5AD70001,0X00000000, 0XC0883006

I'm running service pack 3.

I'd really like to retrieve my college stuff from the computer, hope it's not lost, thanks,
    Dan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    Hey guys,

My computer recently started BSODing about 15 seconds after I log onto any profile, I tried to go into Safe mode but the same thing happened.

I decided to use the repair function on the XP disc (If I'm right in assuming there is one) but whenever I get to the install windows screen, the 'numpad' light on my keyboard goes of (Logitech USB keyboard) and it won't respond;

Here are the details of the crash,

Stop:0X0000001a (0x00041284,0x5AD70001,0X00000000, 0XC0883006

I'm running service pack 3.

I'd really like to retrieve my college stuff from the computer, hope it's not lost, thanks,
    Dan
    Sounds like you have faulty memory.

Try running memtest86 - from http://www.memtest.org/#downiso (Bootable ISO).

I wouldn't worry about your college stuff. That's probably safe out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

You could use this http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html to get the info back, or try safe mode ,directory services restore,use arrows,enter key to select it.if the windows install is damaged all the info,data is still on the drive,or use a linux live cd mint ,boot from a cdr disk.you wont lose data by doing a new windows install,as LONG AS , you use do not format harddrive , install, use existing partition option.
    or see here www.ntfs.com windows live cd,active bootdisk demo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

It may be faulty mem, remove and reseat mem, and if you have two memory dimms, remove one, boot up with one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

If the USB keyboad is giving you trouble, you could try a P/S2 keyboard (borrow one) and see if it will work with this.

On a quick google of the error there seems to be a software issue that causes that stop error. So while it is worth checking the memory, I wouldnt rule out issues with the Windows installation itself... Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration from the menu where you choose safe mode... Do you have the option of a System Restore?

If the data on the drive is VERY important, I would take the hard drive out and take the information from it (whether by attaching it to another PC as a slave, or by using a USB hard disk enclosure)... Only then would I begin troubleshooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Sounds like you have faulty memory.

Try running memtest86 - from http://www.memtest.org/#downiso (Bootable ISO).

I wouldn't worry about your college stuff. That's probably safe out.
    I plan to try this, but now the monitor won't connect up to the PC, it's just in test mode :rolleyes:
    If the USB keyboad is giving you trouble, you could try a P/S2 keyboard (borrow one) and see if it will work with this.

On a quick google of the error there seems to be a software issue that causes that stop error. So while it is worth checking the memory, I wouldnt rule out issues with the Windows installation itself... Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration from the menu where you choose safe mode... Do you have the option of a System Restore?

If the data on the drive is VERY important, I would take the hard drive out and take the information from it (whether by attaching it to another PC as a slave, or by using a USB hard disk enclosure)... Only then would I begin troubleshooting.

I have tried both system restore and last good config, neither of which worked, how would I go about getting the data of the HDD, all I have available is my laptop

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

GO TO friend or netcafe, with 1 cdr , dl ultimatebootdisk,use imgburn, burn image ,burn iso file,or use a linux live cd ,set bios boot=cd=0=1st boot device ,
    or try take out the second ram simm,chip, 1st is simm o.could be a loose ram simm chip.pc will boot from 1 ram chip.can you acess safe mode,reboot hold f8 for ten seconds.
    use imgburn or similar program.
    or google how to make linux livecd,or try press del,f2,or f12, bios menu, reset to default mode bios ,save ,y, exit.

with no boot cdr,live cd or cd bootdisk ,it may not be possible to boot, you could try winxp,install, use existing partition,DO NOT FORMAT DRIVE,option,install to c:\windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

as mentioned try one dimm at a time in each of the slots and see if this helps.. if not you may need to repair - the issue where the KB stops responding is common when using kvm switches or USB hubs to connect the KB - if this doesnt apply make sure you have your KB plugged directly into a USB slot on the PC, failing that try a different KB.

you could also try booting with all USB devices except KB + mouse disconnected. i've seen a similar bsod error due to faulty usb device (well first set of codes were the same)

try removing simm2 , or else go to bios, switch off usb,pcima,wireless card etc
    wear a glove,or use paper or something,do not touch any simm chip,with your hand,touch metal watertap,to release static from your hand first.
    as long as the hd is working your data should still be recoverable,using a livecd,
    can you ask a friend,techie to make you a linux,or UBCD CDR DISK.

go to bios ,boot options,set to slow boot,it should test the pc memory simms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

ricman wrote: »
    go to bios ,boot options,set to slow boot,it should test the pc memory simms.
    Will you please slow down and give the OP a chance to respond.

Not only that, but your posts are impossible to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Will you please slow down and give the OP a chance to respond.

Not only that, but your posts are impossible to read.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

Hey guys, sorry for taking so long, I couldn't get the monitor to connect, I have now, however I can't wake the keyboard isn't working, it might actuall be the keyboard.

As for the RAM, I had 4 slots with 2X1gb Kingston and 2X512 Samsung I think, one of them wasn't seated properly so I reseated them, but seeing as I can't wake the monitor I can't try any of your advice.

I'm going to try to head out to PCworld or Tesco to try a get a PS2 keyboard, if not I see if I can borrow one.

I'll make a memtest ISO in the meantime, is that just a matter of downloading, unzipping and burning the file?

Thanks

You download the iso, use imgburn or cdburnerxp to burn the iso.Load the cdburn app ,click burn image, browse to image file,click mouse on it ,and then click burn image command on the menu.Burn at 2x or 4x max speed in burn ,options,or burn settings ,before you click burn image command.
    Most iso,s just come as an iso file 1 file,no need to unzip.
    See here http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm iso burn how-to.Try unplugging the usb keyboard, does the pc still crash.
    DO NOT plug in a ps2 keyboard while pc is on, knock off pc.Switch off esb power to pc, unplug pc power plug,plug in the ps2 keyboard,gently,the pins have to lined up perfectly.
    Download this http://www.imgburn.com/ imgburn if you dont have an app that has an imageburn command.File will be called something like memtest.iso or pctest.iso for example.
    Windows has an onscreen keyboard you can use with a mouse, ie its possible to use a pc with no keyboard.See start,programs,acessorys, acessibility, onscreen keyboard.
    TRY loading pc, with just 500meg ram, ie use first 1 or 2 ram simms, from slot0.The first ram slot cannot be left empty, slot 0 ,otherwise pc motherboard could be damaged.
    Remove the last 2 simms,in slot 2,3.DO not burn at 10x ,use 4x speed for iso or livecd burns.

Some pcs require 2 simms in first 2 slots, slot 0,slot1 to boot up properly.TRY just using the 1st two simm ram chips.ie 1st 2 ram chip slots need to be full in certain pc,s.

Advertisement