Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Band playing in McHugh's on Friday night

Options
  • 18-07-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Does anyone know the name of the band that were playing in McHugh's bar in Sligo town on Friday night 16th July 2010.

I just went in for a pint and heard them playing and was blown away. Kind of Rory Gallagher style blues/rock. They were fantastic. Are they a local band?

I've been living abroad for the last 5 years so forgive me if they are well known.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hey!

I was there aswell. The bands name are "Oddsocks Revival". They're a local band but have made quite a name for themselves across the country in the last few years. They play very frequently and have recently released their first EP.

Myspace page is here - lists all their upcoming shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thezapper

Thanks for the info. Will definitely get that EP. I was massively impressed.

thezapper wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Will definitely get that EP. I was massively impressed.

They're fantastic entertainers alright :D

Yeah. I've been living in the States for the last few years and when I come back home what is there to greet me but Jedward and Crystal Swing!!! Jaysus...we used to produce REAL musicians like Rory Gallagher and Thin Lizzy...what happened? Then I randomly come across "Oddsocks Revival". Thank God all hope is not lost. I really hope those lads make it big. They're fantastic.

I know exactly how you feel. They're incredibly talented boys and deserve to make it big but there just doesn't seem to be the commercial market for them these days (it's full of Jedward & Crystal Swing types as you say! :p). They've got a slot at Electric Picnic this year which is quite an achievement anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Oddsocks are class,forgot they were playing otherwise I would have gone :(

greetings wrote: »
    Oddsocks are class,forgot they were playing otherwise I would have gone :(

Playing in Furey's on the 12th August!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hotaru wrote: »
    Playing in Furey's on the 12th August!

Hope to see you there :D

Just saw on facebook that Oddsocks are playing in Fureys tomorrow night. Great stuff. I'd say it'll be packed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

These guys are indeed awesome and are part of some sort of rock 'n roll revival happening around the place.

Check out the Hot Sprockets also, buddies of these guys, played just before them recently at the Sea Sessions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-vyKtbVOM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Also keep an eye out for Test For Echo. It's a local band that plays an occasional gig featuring the brilliant Dean Mahon on vocals and Rory, son of the incomparable Seamie O'Dowd. on guitar. They do it as a hobby rather than a job and have a great set with stuff by Thin Lizzie, Pink Floyd, Rory Gallagher, Oasis, AC/DC etc. Played in Furey's a few weeks ago. Well worth checking out if you like proper rock live in the pub.

Advertisement