Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macnas Parade "What did you think"

Options
  • 18-07-2010 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭

Watched the Macnas Parade today and while I enjoyed it I would say it was the smallest parade that I ever saw in Galway.Passed by in ten minutes unlike the parades of other years when it would take over an hour to pass by.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

Yeah it was the same last year thats why i didn't bother with it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

seems that as the years go buy the arts festival diverts less and less funds to the parade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Macnas get hissier and hissier about parading every year, they even split in two a number of years back between the "will" paraders and "won't" paraders.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Very short, but good .Wish it was longer, was there at the starting point, managed to get to the town hall area before it arrived there and got a surprise, really enjoyed the music and singing there,wasn't aware that was happening, that made up for the shortness of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I took part in it myself, so hard to tell. My friend taped it though and the whole thing took 21 mins to pass them, they then went up and watched it again at town hall. Pretty much all my mates, though they thought it was shortish, really liked it, more than last year. Last year's rubbed people the wrong way as some bits started at different spots, so people missed more depending where they stood. This year the verdict was shortish but sweet from my gang. Either way I had mad craic! Any pics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Short and sharp: I appreciated less-and-better rather than drawn-out and blah.

A bit annoyed that I missed the Town Hall stuff. I can see why that bit needs to be at a fixed spot, but I kind of assumed that it would be at the Cathedral like last year. (Note to self ... next year, ask around beforehand to find out where the best spot will be.)

Have some pix (I'm a happy-snapper rather than a proper photographer, will load 'em later).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I have to say having watched last year's parade in Merchant's Rd which only lasted 6 mins, this year's parade was way better. It started on time, took a better route, and while it lasted just under 24 mins, was highly entertaining.
    The floats were well-designed, there were no large gaps between the various acts, and the performers interacted brilliantly with the audience.
    A great day.
    Having criticized last years parade on the forum, today's one was very enjoyable.
    Well-done to everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

What the parade lacks in finesse it makes up in enthusiasm. I understand that most if not all of the participants are volunteers yet they are very entertaining and focused. It's a pity that there is no fireworks but I found the whole parade very enjoyable. Well done

PS Luckily it didn't rain

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

I enjoyed it. It was short but maybe they don't have big budgets anymore. It looked like a lot of time and effort went into making up those floats. A great show. Well done to all those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Are there any fireworks associated with the Arts Festival this year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

First one I've seen in at least a couple of years and I thought it was great, especially the wolf and the boy with the blinking eyes. I had a pretty good view as I was playing outside the Town Hall Theatre. Apparently, the static musical element had to be relocated from the cathedral to the theatre a couple of days ago because of some health and safety issue over which Macnas had no control.

ErnieBert wrote: »
    It's a pity that there is no fireworks

There were a few fireworks in the Cathedral carpark, but TBH they don't really make sense at a daytime event.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Thought it was great. The boy was amazing! The amount of effort that went in was clear to see and the people interacted very very well with the audience.

A case of quality over quantity really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Some photos here, too busy to upload them individually here...

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

I thought it was excellent - as a previous poster said the sheer quality and effort that went into every float, costume and bit of make up was clear to see. Some of the props were works of art in themselves and the interaction with the audience was much better than I've seen in recent years.

If this is what Macnas can do with a severely reduced budget these days I'd love to see what they could have achieved with this level of creative direction back when money wasn't so tight. Hopefully as a company they will build on this success, and possibly get back to more theatrical works like the legendary "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner" and suchlike.

One minor complaint - it wasn't made clear in the programme or any of the publicity that there would be any sort of "finale" performance as what apparently took place at the Town Hall yesterday. A bit more information would be great next time...

dilallio wrote: »

Great stuff! Glad to see I looked as daft as I felt!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

The size of the parade is not just about money. Ya gotta remember folks, they look for volunteers every year. It's advertised in the local papers. If folk don't turn up to volunteer on the night then the numbers are going to be small.:rolleyes:

It's a great way to meet new people so I'd really advise doing one parade in your life. They don't seem to approach as many community groups as they used to (maybe I'm wrong there) but that could up the numbers of participants. I know community groups can be a bit more work what with trying to organise the workshops and artist facilitators. I always loved working with the community groups, sometimes I learnt more from them than they from me, and it was always really good craic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I know three people who are creative & wanted to volunteer with Macnas. All three ended up feeling unwanted & together with the need for Garda checks they gave up !

Discodog wrote: »
    I know three people who are creative & wanted to volunteer with Macnas. All three ended up feeling unwanted & together with the need for Garda checks they gave up !

I think the Garda check thing must be fairly recent in the last year or two. Most people seem to have great craic volunteering, wonder what happened with your pals? Did they come on a volunteer sign up night?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Guys, Garda check is mandatory with any event where kids are involved. You only gotta do it once and they are only checking for really nasty people and not someone who got pished one night and had a bit of hash on them down the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I've been working with children for 18 years and I think the Guarda check is a load of rubbish. Why?

1) I applied for Guarda clearance to work with children about 10 years ago. I still don't know if I got it. It was all so vague.

2) I still work with kids anyway and I'm known by everyone so my 'character reference' seems to do

3) I did know one guy who I wouldn't let near kids (boys) and he had Guarda clearance. If you want to work with kids, and you've no record, you can get one, and trust me, they do!!

4) The front line of defence against weirdos for your kids, it their cop-on. Molly coddling your children and not allowing them to go to school alone till they're 12 is the worst thing you can do. Teach your children to trust their instincts and communicate with you when they see weird stuff.

Well, I worked with adults with disabilities with Macnas,(no need for clearance there) and it was wonderful:D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Guys, Garda check is mandatory with any event where kids are involved. You only gotta do it once and they are only checking for really nasty people and not someone who got pished one night and had a bit of hash on them down the station.

Ahh, no.

You need to fill in the form separately for each organisation you're involved in, and some organisations have a policy that you have to re-do it every five years too.

As far as I understand, the garda check brings back details of ANY criminal record that you have: it's up to the organisation that asked for it to decide which types of offences make you unsuitable for the work they do. I've yet to see any organisation publish their criteria for this. And I can assure you, there are some tough calls to be made.

Also, some voluntary organisations believe it's not even worth applying if you've been overseas for a certain proportion time recently: in Galway at the moment, it seems to be two of the last five years.

Advertisement