Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floor Sanding - URGENT

• 18-07-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

hopefully someone here can help.

We got the keys to our house on Friday, had planned on spending this wekeend sanding the downstairs (dining, sitting room & hall) hired a sander and have seriously regretted starting it. Its not even taking the varnish off properly never mind the scratches. We have been at it since first thing yesterday and since 12 today and its a disaster. We have a crowd calling over this evening to price it but said it would cost around €18 square yard (I think). Anyone know how much we should be paying and can you recommend someone good, reasonable priced and available to start tomorrow?

We have to move in Friday!

HELP frown.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Hi All,

hopefully someone here can help.

We got the keys to our house on Friday, had planned on spending this wekeend sanding the downstairs (dining, sitting room & hall) hired a sander and have seriously regretted starting it. Its not even taking the varnish off properly never mind the scratches. We have been at it since first thing yesterday and since 12 today and its a disaster. We have a crowd calling over this evening to price it but said it would cost around €18 square yard (I think). Anyone know how much we should be paying and can you recommend someone good, reasonable priced and available to start tomorrow?

We have to move in Friday!

HELP frown.gif

What kind of sander did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    What kind of sander did you get?
    Hope he didn't get this one. Completely useless.

_1577261_westerveld300.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

€18 a sq yard is too high....even for dustless sanding where they have special gear. Try €8 a square yard or hire the proper machine in a plant hire tomorrow at 8am. Get plenty of 50 or 60 ( rough ) paper and 80 and 100 paper.

Sand at 60 then resand quicker at 80 then resand at 100 for a smooth job.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

You imply that the floors are already sanded, in which case it should be a doddle! 80 grit paper should be about as rough as you would need, then 100 or 120.
    Sounds like you got a small hand orbital type sander which would be useless for the job. Regardless of whoever does the job, as it was done before it's a lot handier to do again.
    In other words, it should be pretty cheap to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

You obviously hired the wrong sander. I did the sitting room and hall in my home house recently and it only took about 2/3 hours.
    I can't remember the exact type but it was a circular with two handles on top and all i had to do was basically push it around the floor and it took the varnish clean off.
    Hired it off Tripart on the Tuam road. They should be able to sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

You obviously hired the wrong sander. I did the sitting room and hall in my home house recently and it only took about 2/3 hours.
    I can't remember the exact type but it was a circular with two handles on top and all i had to do was basically push it around the floor and it took the varnish clean off.
    Hired it off Tripart on the Tuam road. They should be able to sort you out.

We were told that kind was too hard to manage and could take chunks out of the timber so thats why we got the other sander. The hire place should have said it wouldnt be good enough. We cant do it ourselves now have to go back to work so have the comany coming Wed/Thurs to do it. Its €18 square yard for saning, primer, varnish and sealing. No choice at this stage.

Anyone ever use Val Cunningham from Milltown (VC Flooring)?

We ended up going with VC Flooring, based in Milltown so they might come to Sligo, worth a phone call anyway. We found him great, all done in one day.

Advertisement