Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Resi Games-which format?

Options
  • 18-07-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I recently completed Resident Evil 4+5 and am looking to crack into the older title in the series. As far as I know the older titles are available on the gamecube and Resi 0+1 are ported to the Wii.Are any of these versions any good or would it be better to complete them on their original format?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'll spend less money collecting them in their original format. The GC ports are quite rare. They are hard to find and expensive. It is nice to have them all on one formate. You'll need a GC or Wii to play Resi Remake and Resi Zero. Resi Remake is an absolute must. The original Resident Evil wasn't ported to the GC but it's such a different experience from Remake that it's well worth getting as well. You can get it for the PS1 or get it off PSN I think for the PS3 or PSP. Wii also has the best version of Resi 4 although the GC version is really good as well. Both the GC and Wii version of Resi 4 make a mockery of the PS2 version. Code Veronica is available on the Dreamcast and PS2 or GC. The best version is on the GC. Of the other 2 versions the Dreamcast looks better graphically while the PS2 has new scenes added in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Resident Evil 1 for the GC is a beautiful looking game, I'd definitely recommend that over the PS1 original!
    Can't comment on the Wii conversions though...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mr.Shabby

I just read on IGN that the Resi 0 remake on the WII isnt too good. I might have a look on ebay for the first three and play them on the PS1 and get 0 on my gamecube if the Wii version is so bad.Should I get the Resi 1 remake on the gamecube or Wii?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Resi Zero got bad reviews for the Wii because it wasn't the best game to begin with. It's good but it's nowhere near the quality of the rest of the series. The Wii version is exactly the same as the GC version so go for either.

As for Remake get which ever version is easier to find, again the game is a direct port of the Gamecube game so the Wii version is the same other than some new control schemes.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Wii also have the 2 on the rail shooters.

The Umbrella Chronicles and The Dark Side Chronicles both of which are good if abit unspectacular.

Wii should cover for the 2 above games as well ast he remake of Resident Evil, Resident Evil 0, Gamecube Port of Resident Evil Code Veronica X and Resident Evil 4.

As for the orginal 3 games, they appeared on numerous formats, like PS1, Saturn and PC but I'm not sure where you would find them now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Azza wrote: »
    As for the orginal 3 games, they appeared on numerous formats, like PS1, Saturn and PC but I'm not sure where you would find them now.
    PSN is the place for the PS1 originals... Just set up an American PSN account and buy a US$20 psn card and you're all set! (Unless you have your heart set on a physical copy)
    I haven't played the GC versions of RE2/3, but as far as I know they're not really worth spending cash on when they can be found for much less elsewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

The resident evil 1 remake for the gamecube is an amazing game. If you cant get hold of it (as said above it could be expensive)
    Just get the Wii ports. Resident evil 0 is also ported.

As for getting resident evil 2 and 3. They are also on the gamecube. Might be rare tho. They are dreamcast ports. Nothing like the resident evil remake.
    I have both resident evil 2 for the ps1 and gamecube. Not alot of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

The easiest way is to get the Wii ports of Zero and Remake, get 2 and 3 on PSN, then the PS2 or GC version of CV.

Also, to be completionist about it, the original version of the first game is on DS, it's called Deadly Silence. The original is worth playing for the voice acting alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Just finished Resident evil 5 on pc. Having enjoyed that i'm interested in giving 4 another chance.
    Which version would be better, the pc version or a GC emulator version on pc?
    I used to own it for the gamecube but never really gave it a chance/didn't click right away.

I dont own a 360 or ps3, so as usual the remakes will be unavailable to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Recently got res 4 on Gamecube, looks better than the PS2 version, The Remake port of 1 looks fantastic, nemesis looks crap though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm really tempted to get Resi 4 HD for PS3. Such a great game and it has the add on Seperate Ways like PS2. I would pay a tenner for it but 15 might be to steep. Anyone know thee pricing yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Wait, so both Remake (via Wii) and the original (via PSN) should be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have Resi 4 for PS2 and Wii. As cool as the wii remote was, I much preferred it on PS2 as I like old fasioned joypads compared to waving sticks around.

Found the trophies/achievements as well.

http://survivalhorroronline.com/2011/07/17/resident-evil-4-hd-achievementstrophies-revealed/

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

gizmo wrote: »
    Wait, so both Remake (via Wii) and the original (via PSN) should be played?
    I haven't played REmake but I've heard that it's pretty different to the original. I certainly recommend playing any Resi game you can get your hands on, especially 2. Now I'm hungry so I'm going to go make a Jill Sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm keeping REmake until I find the nerve to face Crimson Heads...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Op, you should know that re1 2 3 play way different from re4 and re5.

I personally prefer old re games, as they were more about survival.

Advertisement