Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Linksys wusb54gr

Options
  • 18-07-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I recently moved from Eircom to UPC in the house for our broadband needs. This required a small bit of reshuffling with the old setup.

As it stands, there are 2 PCs in the house: A study PC and my own Games PC. Before, the Netopia modem was connected by ethernet to the Games PC and a wireless dongle from linksys was enabling the study PC to connect to the internet. All gravy!

With the UPC, the study PC is now connected to the Cisco modem and I moved the Linksys dongle upstairs to the Games PC.

The Games PC runs a Windows XP/Ubuntu 9.10 dual boot setup. In Ubuntu, being as great as it is, all I have to do is enter the WPA code and it connects. Simples.

In windows, either with the windows wireless utility or the linksys one, the dongle is stuck acquiring a network address. Using the "connection information" from Ubuntu for IP address, Subnet mask, DNS addresses and gateway address I disabled DHCP and entered all the information manually. The status changes to "connected" and the modem is able to see the PC (verified from the Cisco diagnostics page).

When I go to use the internet though (proxy settings set to "auto") in either Internet Explorer or Firefox, it just times out. It's frustrating, if I'm doing anything in XP and need internet I either have to reboot into Ubuntu or use my laptop.

Any ideas?

The fact is works in Ubuntu makes me think it's just a TCP/IP issue with Windows, all the services are enabled though and that's about the extent of my expertise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would try to figure out what level the failure is at.

- Try pinging the modem from your games PC
    - Try pinging a known external IP- for example 89.234.66.107 is boards.ie
    - Try pinging a domain. If this fails but the previous step worked, for example, it is a DNS issue
    - Try telnet to a known IP on port 80 (e.g. telnet 89.234.66.107 80) - if the screen goes blank you have a successful HTTP connection

Have you tried a different browser? I had an issue with Chrome stopping working in work for some reason although other browsers still worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Have you tried cycling the power?

Advertisement