Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where did we come from?

• 18-07-2010 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I was watching the Documentry on The Discovery Channel and they said life most likey started from minerals on an asteroid which crashed into Earth

Religous people will say Adam and Eve

So how did life end up on earth

That is the Question

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I know the answer definitively but have decided to keep it quiet. For the craic.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A combination of abiogenesis and evolution.

Alternately, your ma.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

As a rational thinker, I know it was not God.

It was the Stork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Its all a VERY BAD DREAM !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Im sure the guys over on the conspiracy theories forum know the answer to this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

A combination of abiogenesis and evolution.

Alternately, your ma.

WIKI

I dont speak science

I have to click on every blue word to find out what it means which leads to more Blue Words :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

42?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

evolution, that's how

or maybe some supernatural being of which there is no evidence of made up by man put us here

yeah i think i'll go with evolution

evolution, that's how

or maybe some supernatural being of which there is no evidence of made up by man put us here

Did we evolve from a rock ?

I mean how did anything alive get here including Trees plants bacteria and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Let's write our own version of how life started. I'll begin:

The Flying Spaghetti monster was flying through space. When he passed over the earth, his period started. It splodged onto the earth.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

How did whatever evolved form in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

evolution, that's how

Evolution is where life comes from? Way to show how much smarter you are than those nutty religious folks, you have an excellent grasp on science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

From some birds box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    How did whatever evolved form in the first place?

Without a time machine it would be impossible to know this, all we can do is theorize or alternatively say a magical man in the sky did it.

token56 wrote: »
    Without a time machine it would be impossible to know this, all we can do is theorize or alternatively say a magical man in the sky did it.
    So is a higher being not a good theory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

WIZE wrote: »
    So how did like end up on earth

That is the Question

its a simple answer, we all came in a spaceship built by Xenu

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

This video explains everything in some detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Evolution is where life comes from? Way to show how much smarter you are than those nutty religious folks, you have an excellent grasp on science.

I never claimed to have a grasp on science at all

it's just that's what there is evidence of therefore i believe that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Caprica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Where did we come from

This may be one of the only times it is actually appropriate to yell Yore Ma ! :)

You mean thats what someone told you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jd83 wrote: »
    Im sure the guys over on the conspiracy theories forum know at least 3000 different answers to this

fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

WIKI

I dont speak science

I have to click on every blue word to find out what it means which leads to more Blue Words :confused:

Opportunity to educate yourself. Take a few minutes to understand something about your world. Alternatively you can go look at pictures of cats.

So is a higher being not a good theory?

Depends on what you define as higher being and as good. Is this higher being super natural or natural? It's a valid theory as no one can say for certain that didn't happen because we cant prove it didn't happen. No one will be able to ever prove what "started life". We can come up with theory's and maybe even possibly demonstrated them some day, for example create life in a lab in accordance to some hypothesis, however there will always be questions and no definitive answer.

So is it a good theory? Well any theory is possible but I wouldn't call it a logical one if it involves a super natural being, but that's just my opinion.

Do you think it's a good one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Depends on what you define as higher being and as good. Is this higher being super natural or natural? It's a valid theory as no one can say for certain that didn't happen because we cant prove it didn't happen. No one will be able to ever prove what "started life". We can come up with theory's and maybe even possibly demonstrated them some day, for example create life in a lab in accordance to some hypothesis, however there will always be questions and no definitive answer.

So is it a good theory? Well any theory is possible but I wouldn't call it a logical one if it involves a super natural being, but that's just my opinion.

Better than the atheist one IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

We came from the same place as everything else we see in the universe came from. Our bits are just assembled differently

I dont want you people burning too many Brain Cells over this issue . I just want your simple Ideas

Well its the one I believe personally.

• Advertisement

We came from the same place as everything else we see in the universe came from. Our bits are just assembled differently

yeah but should life not exsist on other planets in our Solar System then and assemble differently to suit other planets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

jd83 wrote: »
    Im sure the guys over on the conspiracy theories forum know the answer to this

Well they may have a theory on it, which is more than you offered

What is it lately with people referring to the CT forum? Is this the best you can come up with, really?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

When meteorites crashed into not so dead Mars, it blew people all the way to earth. Thus humans on earth.

The problem with the "higher being" hypothesis is that it doesn't explain anything. There's no further predictions you can make from such a model, it doesn't give any new info, etc. Whereas if there are genuine scientific theories, they will be testable and so on.
    Saying "I don't know so it must be...", well, refer to my sig for that ;)

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    When meteorites crashed into not so dead Mars, it blew people all the way to earth. Thus humans on earth.

Id say that was some craic.

One minute on Mars then Next thing you know your on earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

I don't think you understand what evolution means. It's the process that leads to the diversification of organisms on earth through natural selection, gene drift ecetera. It is not a theory on the origin of life.

IMO life prob started by the chance formation of R.N.A or something along those lines near high energy thermal vents.

• Advertisement

karlog wrote: »
    Better than the atheist one IMO.
    Well its the one I believe personally.

Fair enough, my own motto is each to their own really.

I personally think each person is natural disposed to either believe or not believe in a god, with you're environment and upbringing obviously having an influence. I mean I think some people just naturally cant or dont want to believe in a god, and that opposite is true, and another group in the middle somewhere.

What is it lately with people referring to the CT forum?

A combination of morbid fancination and schadenfreude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Life is a big elaborate cause and effect chain reaction that has its foundations with simple chemical reactions.

But where did those chemicals come from?

If people are interested in one side they should check Stephen Hawkings lastest series, in particular this episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8fI8wdvteU

its the first of 9 parts just to warn, so its pretty long. But even if you dont agree with it, its pretty interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

The Chemical Brothers obviously. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

Darwin, Dawkins et al have proven, beyond reasonable doubt and with concrete evidence, the whole God creating earth thing to be a load of bollix..

Evolution has been proven, creationism is just some fairytale dreamt up by organised religious groups to explain what could not be explained many years ago!

yogy wrote: »
    Darwin, Dawkins et al have proven, beyond reasonable doubt and with concrete evidence, the whole God creating earth thing to be a load of bollix..

Evolution has been proven, creationism is just some fairytale dreamt up by organised religious groups to explain what could not be explained many years ago!
    So what did we evolve from?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Gamma Ray Burst, exploding stars etc.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

yeah but should life not exsist on other planets in our Solar System then and assemble differently to suit other planets?

Well, earth is nicely placed in the so-called 'habitable zone' in the solar system although there is still theories that suggest microbial life could have existed on Mars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Origin of Life: Shit happens.

yogy wrote: »

Just to point out, evolution or so called micro evolution is an observable effect in biology, its a process that happens, there can be no doubt about that. However the theory of evolution or macro evolution, i.e. Darwin's theory etc has not been proven. If it had why would it still be called a theory? For most people the majority of the evidence points to it being correct I agree. However its incorrect to say its been proven.

Stars fusing heavier elemensts which are then released in a supernova which then condenses to form a solar system. The elements react to form chemicals. High energy areas on earth increase odds of complex organic molecules forming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Evolution is a fact. The way we think it happened (via natural selection) is indeed, in the strictest scientific sense, a theory.

. If it had why would it still be called a theory? .
    A theory is a substantiated explanation of facts and observations.
    A theory is never, ever going to "graduate" into a fact or a law. A theory is as good as it gets.
    This is a scientific theory. It is not to be confused with "I had an idea..."

Evolution is both a fact and a theory. This is a good thing, not a "just".

• Advertisement
Advertisement