Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mournes Route Advice

• 18-07-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭

A few of us are staying around the border next weekend and planning on doing a hilly 120k or so.

We're definitely going to include the Black Mountain/RTE mast above Omeath at the beginning or end, so that leaves about a 80 or 90km circular route from Newry into the Mournes.

I know the coastal stretch to Greencastle, but not the heart of the Mournes. A scenic route that includes some of the tough climbs and a stopping place for lunch would be ideal.

All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

We're definitely going to include the Black Mountain/RTE mast above Omeath .

:eek:

I remember driving up to that mast on Clermont Carn in the mid 90's. It was very tough in a car, never mind doing it on a bike!!

I can't recommend anywhere in the Mournes from a cycling perspective as I've only ever driven it. You could try going over Clermont from Ravensdale side, dropping down to where the customs post used to be on the Old N1. Then through Newry and out the Rathfriland Rd to Mayobridge. Then follow the signs for Silent Valley or Spelga dam and go over the Mournes that way into either Newcastle or Kilkeel, and head back to Newry along the coast through Rostrevor and Warrenpoint.

From memory, the roads over the Mournes themselves are poor in places. Main roads are usually excellent throughout.

PS: If you fancy a reasonably tough climb, just cycle through Castlewellan village heading east towards Clogh / Downpatrick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Go from Newry through Mayobridge then Hiltown and take the Kilkeel rd B27 up around the s bend to Spelga resivoir.Nice climb.At the top of that rd you could turn left and head for Bryansford and Newcastle then up the coast to kilkeel or you could turn right and head for Kilkeel. Plenty of hills either rd. Dont know the distance but use to do them routes few years back when i lived in county Down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

All beautiful countryside however, Kilkeel is not the ideal spot for a rest. My advice is to cycle through it as quickly as possible;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Thanks for the advice so far lads.

They don't like cyclists in Kilkeel?
    Should we leave the An Post jerseys at home?

The B27 from Hilltown - is that a fairly quiet road traffic-wise?
    Just don't want to be on busy roads all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

El tel is from up round that direction and may be able to give you some nice routes if you drop him a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

setanta159 wrote: »
    All beautiful countryside however, Kilkeel is not the ideal spot for a rest. My advice is to cycle through it as quickly as possible;)
    Get a Sky jersey and you will be ok.They like British things up in Kilkeel:D. Oh and dont speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

RO 06 wrote: »
    Get a Sky jersey and you will be ok.They like British things up in Kilkeel:D. Oh and dont speak
    They're also of 'boy-racer' types. The coast road from NewCastle to Warrenpoint can be very busy with SUVs etc at weekends. Silent Valley connecting to Spelga and then Hilltown is good, but hilly. From Mayobridge, try and find the 'Grianan Road' route into the back of Newry. It's a bit quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

Kilkeel is primarly Orange, the rest off the route is GAA country so An Post Jersey is good. Rostrevor or Warrenpoint for a stop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

RO 06 wrote: »

+1 on that....
    I've friends there who would be of the greener persuasion and stay there from time to time. Beautiful countryside but no SKT or Ireland jerseys in Kilkeel and don't open your gob..

The route from Hilltown up past spelga dam is probably the best climb there. nice hard kick at the start but steady after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

The route is coming together:

http://www.mapmyride.com/view_route?r=200127966343412218

We have Spelga dam, Silent valley (a steep 4km cul de sac above it, that I don't know anything about). a ferry trip to avoid busy tedious flat section and a long hilltop finish, with obligatory Le Tour 2010 descent to actually finish line.

There's a bit too much on the main road to Warrenpoint for my liking, but I'm not sure how to avoid it. We go through Newry at the start, but it'll be early, so no traffic.

Thoughts, modifications, points of interest are welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The route is coming together:

http://www.mapmyride.com/view_route?r=200127966343412218

We have Spelga dam, Silent valley (a steep 4km cul de sac above it, that I don't know anything about). a ferry trip to avoid busy tedious flat section and a long hilltop finish, with obligatory Le Tour 2010 descent to actually finish line.

There's a bit too much on the main road to Warrenpoint for my liking, but I'm not sure how to avoid it. We go through Newry at the start, but it'll be early, so no traffic.

Thoughts, modifications, points of interest are welcome.

Nice route , well thought out. Hope you enjoy it

Advertisement