Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does any one go away collage very late in life like 30s and 40s is it a good idea i

• 18-07-2010 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

1st off what is part-time course in collage mean?

i started collage very late in life but i passed 1st year and failed 2nd year i repeated and failed 2nd year but i passed 2 subjected out of 5.the lectures were not so nice they told me to go away do fas course the stuck up pricks.they more said i was too stupid to learn.i feel embarrassed in class with 18 years old and 19 years old.who look me in the way of old.

i feel embarrassed asking advice what best to do.

so will i back to collage at my age and get embarrassed by younger and smarter even though money is very tight or keeping hoping for a job i might not get.living on the dole is no privilege

so any advice to help me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ChristopherUno

Part-time courses in college mean you do the course part-time, which is normally in or abouts half the modules of the full-time course I think, then you then spend the extra time working to finance the course, raising your family or whatever reason you had for choosing part-time study. And then of course it takes longer to finish.

To be honest if you've failed second year twice and money is tight I would advise against trying another college course. In the case that you do start another one and fail again it's three years wasted in the last course (first year and second year twice) plus however many years of the new course you complete, not to mention the financial side of things.

If it were me I'd look at trying to get a job, any job, though I realise the economy is still cat so that's easier said than done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gavitron22

i agree with that guy, and while i would consider a lot before commiting to anything again, one thing i would say is don't be embarrassed about going back to college, there are a lot of mature students in most colleges, and while people today might take going to college at 18 as a given, it was sure as hell not always like that, before a few years ago, the majority of people didn't get the chance, that's nothing to be ashamed about in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

Hi Louise,
    I am just finishing a part time degree, and I am 42. It took me 8 years to do. it is good for your own personal development-self esteem etc. but may not result in you being able to get a job from it.

If you are failing in the first parts of a course, then I believe you will find the later parts of the course, (which will probably be set at a much higher standard)very difficult.

I would guess from your message that English is not your first language? If so, I really would advise that you study a course set in your native language. The English that they used in the final parts of my course was very very complicated, and a lot of Native English speakers needed to use dictionaries just to understand the assignment questions correctly, and were complaining :mad: about how difficult it was to understand the questions.I believe that it would have been extremely difficult for a non-native student to get a good mark.

Advertisement