Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 15 - Monday, July 19 2010, Pamiers - Bagnères-de-Luchon, 187 km

• 18-07-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭

Pyrenean celebration

The Tour's Pyrenean centenary is very much in mind today on a stage that features the Portet d'Aspet and Ares passes 100 years on from their appearance in the race's first ever high mountains day.

Complementing these Tour stalwarts is the Port de Balès, a pass first opened up primarily for the race’s use in 2007. Sections of 11 per cent are certain to thin out the yellow jersey group and some of those riders dropped might find it hard to get back up to the contenders on the high-speed descent into Bagnères-de-Luchon.
    Stage map

gr215983_600.jpg

gr214613_600.jpg

Fair play? 36 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Just tuning in now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pimp my peloton probikekit blog
    When a rider gains the yellow jersey for the day, come podium time he somehow miraculously manages to become bathed in yellow clothing, with a yellow jersey, helmet and shoes. What is more impressive though, is that the next day his trusty steed has also been given a make over and he gains a yellow bike overnight. This is not just some off the shelf piece either, but it is exactly suited for him, his size, his stem and bar combo and often a special saddle. Just how does this happen? When we try and order a custom colour from our suppliers, we can often wait up to 10 weeks!

http://www.pbkblog.com/?p=6959

just saw this

16. Thomas Lovkvist (Swe/ Sky) +09'46"
    18. Bradley Wiggins (GB / Sky) +11'30

thats gotta hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Hard to call this one. Massive climb but an deadly decent too. Sanchez may be the man but will Contador put the boot in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

110 kph "hairy" descent according to Phil Liggett.

Once again I wish this were a mountain top finish, would I be right in saying we won't see too much GC action? Could Roche try and get away and claw back some more time? Team motivation should be high after yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,312 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Could Roche try and get away and claw back some more time?

Can't see it on a HC climb.

Sanchez and is the man if it comes to a mad descent. Can see that 20k climb sorting them out though. Will Contador jut mark Shleck again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

Anyone got a working link for todays stage, the usual suspects aren't working for me?

What about Leipheimer? Do you think Radioshack might try and help him do something today?

Liamo08 wrote: »
    Anyone got a working link for todays stage, the usual suspects aren't working for me?
    this one's working for me - http://www.fromsport.com/v-0/0/148/v-14923.html

Strange start to the day. Husovd and Petacchi sprinting for a cat 4 climb. Then not sprinting for the green points Intermediate sprint. Took 100k for a group to get away, and then they get 7 minutes up on half a climb

weird, almost as if the Sprinters teams got it wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

joker77 wrote: »

Thanks, can't get that one to work for me today though, I'll have to stick to the commentary.

• Advertisement

Do you guys think the time trials take away from the stage races? Listening to Sanchez and it seems most of the GC guys don't want to take too many risks on the stages because the tour is won or lost in the TT.

As much as I admire the TT-ing, it's not the most exciting racing to watch. I wonder if a tour without time trials could be a more exciting race overall.

Just a thought, I'm still hopeful there will be some excitement today from some of the big guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Do you guys think the time trials take away from the stage races? ........
    As much as I admire the TT-ing, it's not the most exciting racing to watch. I wonder if a tour without time trials could be a more exciting race overall..

Its pretty much always* been a part of stage racing, it would be like saying taking the cobbles out of the cobbled classics like roubaix or flanders :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

anyone think the peleton can claw back the breakaway? Saxobank have been driving strongly... They have taken 2 and a half mins out of them in last 3k, down to 7.30 from 10.... 33 k to go, and a good bit of the climb to go still...

Do you guys think the time trials take away from the stage races? Listening to Sanchez and it seems most of the GC guys don't want to take too many risks on the stages because the tour is won or lost in the TT

Well the tour is a timed race, and you can't get any purer than the TT.

The only stage I hate (and I mean despise) is the Team Time Trial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Nico just had to take a wheel from neutral service. It looked to be an R-sys. Careful Nico!

That parachute of a wheel is not ideal for a fast down hill finish either, It probably scrubs 5km of his terminal velocity.
    Do you guys think the time trials take away from the stage races? Listening to Sanchez and it seems most of the GC guys don't want to take too many risks on the stages because the tour is won or lost in the TT.

As much as I admire the TT-ing, it's not the most exciting racing to watch. I wonder if a tour without time trials could be a more exciting race overall.

Just a thought, I'm still hopeful there will be some excitement today from some of the big guns.

TT is, to me anyway, a necessary balance to mountaintop finishes. A tour needs both, but very few men can do both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Has Nico caught back up to the main bunch after the puncture??

havent seen him yet but it has been said that he is working his way back...

Saxo are drilling it and the group is getting smaller. Getting back on at all is not a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭corkandproud

What are the time gaps now

• Advertisement

All over the place. Shleck powered on and only about 5 stazyed with him (inc AC, Menchov etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Does Contador thinks he can just beat Andy at the TT? Seems that he's just not bothered attacking...

Does Contador thinks he can just beat Andy at the TT?

Yes, and in fairness. He should beat him by a couple of minutes

Ta, giving blood and watching it but can't see the graphics or hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

What's Gadret at? His team leader is behind him and probably needs a hand....

niceonetom wrote: »
    TT is, to me anyway, a necessary balance to mountaintop finishes. A tour needs both, but very few men can do both.

Yeah I guess. As usual you are right :)

Do you fancy Menchov and Sastre to try and get some more time from Schleck/Contador today or do you think they are just going to fight it out for 3rd place? I really want to see someone try and attack, come on Vino, go mad!

Does Contador thinks he can just beat Andy at the TT? Seems that he's just not bothered attacking...

Basically, yeah, he does.

What I find harder to understand is why Andy stops everytime Al is in his wheel. Yes, there is a danger of getting jumped that way, but he has to be more aggressive in the montainns to get some time.

voeckler leading ballan by over a min
    main group 5 min 30s down

Spoke too soon.

Oh no, chain drop!!!

• Advertisement

Basically, yeah, he does.

What I find harder to understand is why Andy stops everytime Al is in his wheel. Yes, there is a danger of getting jumped that way, but he has to be more aggressive in the montainns to get some time.

^^^

worst timed post ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Oh my feckin god......this will be talked about for a long time to come I think!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on Andy! Use that adrenaline, go go go!

f***pping specializeds

schleck attacks followed by vino schleck dropped chain contador attacked him

anyone doing any work now >

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

According to letour.fr he is in group with basso evans , vino, kloden , kreuziger

• Advertisement

Schleck working very hard now to get back, prob will as well, AC sitting up

nope, spoke to soon, AC going for it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Hmmmmm, dubious ethics by Contador.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

joker77 wrote: »
    Schleck working very hard now to get back, prob will as well, AC sitting up

standing pumping the pedals !!

What's the gap to Conta now

• Advertisement

If Alberto takes time today, and that time proves decisive at the end this move will taint the victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

should be some descent !! hairy to say the least

gap is 12 sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

If Alberto takes time today, and that time proves decisive at the end this move will taint the victory.

Sure it will....

Gutted for Andy *yawn* Schelck

why?? it was shleck attacking him, its not as if it was on a flat stage in the middle of peleton... shleck will make it back anyway

Really? Mechanical doping because his chain stayed on :)

Surely if the yellow jersey attacks and suffers a mechanical it's fair game? He didn't attack him after he dropped the chain, he was responding to the initial attack.

I admire Andy though, great fight. But Alberto is my man!

EDIT: what glanman said, jeez this is a busy thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

12 seconds at the summit.

Sh!t, I love cycling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

this is what wet days are made for .go schleck .

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, dubious ethics by Contador.

Me balls. Any high ground was lost by Saxobank when Cancellera (effectively) cancelled the stage in Belgium

Crashes and mechanical issues happen all the time. Deal with it and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Sh!t, I love cycling!

Best tour in a long while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement