Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to eat herbs?

Options
  • 18-07-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a very, very, very poor gardener but I still really enjoy it. I also know next to nothing about growing and eating your out herbs and vegetables :o.

I have little groups of herbs growing along my window sill in my kitchen (chives, coriander, basil and parsley) and they seems to be growing well. I'm just wondering how long before I can eat them?
    They've all sprouted and are about 5 inches in height, very robust looking and the leaves look healthy.

Can I just start picking at them when needs be or are there certain signs to look out for that will show when they're ready to eat?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can eat them any time, but of course if there is only one sprig and you cut it off it might not grow again, so you should only take a few leaves off the top until they are vigorous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

No there's loads of sprigs actually so that shouldn't be a problem!

I have another quick question; I have them all in individual containers at the moment, is it advisable to take them out of these and plant them all together in one big plant pot, or should I just leave it. If they start getting much bigger I'd imagine they would be getting a bit squashed..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If they are in tiny pots then they need to be planted up into 3" pots individually or about 3 into a bigger pot.

Advertisement