Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9.5 times the price for a different colour

Options
  • 18-07-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Not a major quibble but still I've never come across an incident where you're being charged 9.5 times the price simply for a different colour.

Tesco in Rathmines, their 4 way adapters are selling at €1 for a white one, and €9.50 for a black one :eek:

I asked the attendant to check the prices thinking it has to be a mistake, he did so and confirmed both prices.

The black one says it's a "graphite effect"...it was just painted black. Everything else was the same, same length cable, same packaging etc etc.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I sent a mail to Tesco to register my dissatisfaction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Buy the white one and get on with something more important/significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

gpf101 wrote: »

Thanks for the input. As I said, it's not a major issue but I've never seen anywhere else where you're charged so much more for a different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Sounds ridiculous, though they can charge 2 grand for it if they wanted. It's a bit like a shop putting the red top on sale because it's not selling well, but keeping the exact same top in black at full price, because it IS selling. People go mad over it, even if they're nowhere near each other. Don't see how it's a consumer issue, it's not as if you were hoodwinked into buying the black one, or overcharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

True, and I know they can sell it for €10,000 if they wanted to, but just thought it was a little observation worth sharing just for the big jump in price for two almost identical products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Go to your local hardware and get a price for a bucket of white paint and a bucket of colour paint. Now you have two examples, also a new car in red may be a few hundred euro dearer than other colours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Also its not 9.65 times the price but 9.65% more the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Also its not 9.65 times the price but 9.65% more the price.

It's neither :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

@Lando Griffin - Actually, he said it was 9.5 times the price and he's right.

(9.65% more the price would be €1.0965)

The price of the black item is €8.50 more than the price of the white item.

If you want to express it in percentages, the black item is 950% of the cost of the white item, and the white item is about 10.5% of the cost of the black item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Yahooaccount

gpf101 wrote: »

Seriously, is this your best advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Seriously, is this your best advice?

Well he has a limited number of options, buy the white one for €1, buy the black one for €9.50 or buy neither.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Cianos wrote: »
    Hey,
    Not a major quibble but still I've never come across an incident where you're being charged 9.5 times the price simply for a different colour.

Tesco in Rathmines, their 4 way adapters are selling at €1 for a white one, and €9.50 for a black one :eek:

I asked the attendant to check the prices thinking it has to be a mistake, he did so and confirmed both prices.

The black one says it's a "graphite effect"...it was just painted black. Everything else was the same, same length cable, same packaging etc etc.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I sent a mail to Tesco to register my dissatisfaction.

Right so we'll take the white ones off sale and just leave the black ones on sale.

I have to fork out an extra €60 to buy my dishwasher in silver rather than white, Who will I complain to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Buy the white one and paint it black. :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Buy the white one and paint it black. :p

That was my first reaction too :D

Mad price difference, but I BET there are people who will pay that price. I have no advice to give, it's fairly obvious...buy the white one and save a comparative bundle of yoyo's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Cianos wrote: »
    Hey,

considering that a standard 3 pin plug is €1 - €1.50 in most places and the white extension lead has 2m of wire, a 4way socket base & a 3 pin plug, would you not think of this as an amazing bargain compared to a normal price in many stores of €8 - €10.

The post should be in bargain alerts about the €1 lead rather than yet another excuse to moan about tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

91011 wrote: »
    considering that a standard 3 pin plug is €1 - €1.50 in most places and the white extension lead has 2m of wire, a 4way socket base & a 3 pin plug, would you not think of this as an amazing bargain compared to a normal price in many stores of €8 - €10.

The post should be in bargain alerts about the €1 lead rather than yet another excuse to moan about tesco!

My sentiments exactly. The black one is correctly priced and the white one is a possible misprice or clearance item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

dell charges an extra 40 or 50 quid for painting the lid of ur laptop any other colour except black

i think it looks better in black anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There are loads of situations where they sell 'Market value', Tesco, Finest, and 'other brands', and you can have a choice of a wide range of prices. Its not a scam or even an issue, if you don't want to pay the top price, buy a white one.

Advertisement