Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Fees

Options
  • 18-07-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone would know off hand if I have to pay full College fees or not, I was under the impression not, but have recently recieved a letter from the college ill be attending saying they need more info about a previous course I did to see if I have to pay fees.

Basically in 2002 I started a degree course (4yrs) and had the oiption to finish after 2 years with a national certificate and not go on to do the degree course.

So I finished after the 2 years with the national cert. Now I've got a place to go back to do a degree course (4years) as a mature student. I thought i wouldnt have to pay the fees but am unsure now. I thought because id done a national cert. course I was still intittled to do a degree course without fees.
    Is this right?? :confused:

Ive checked student finance.ie and cant seem to find an answer.

Ta for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

As far as I know you might have to pay the fees for the first two years as you've a cert. already.

However, since it has been more than 5 years since you've done that you may be entitled to full fees for the 4 years.

I'm open to correction though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

You should still be entitled to free fees because you are doing a course which is of a higher level.

The college are probably just checking the details because when you first started the other course you were signed up as a full degree but only completed cert level and they have to check all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

If you did the old National Certificate you won't have to pay fees. It is only if you completed the diploma or degree course.

I did a National Cert. and didn't have to pay fees. Phew! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭delama

Larianne, can you explain why someone would have to pay fees if they already have a diploma, when its only a level 7?
    I've been accepted on a level 8 also.
    The studentfinance website doesn't say either way whether someone would be eligible for free fees, and I plan on appeal the decision if I'm told I have to pay fees.
    I'm really worried, as I don't know how I can afford 21,000 for 3 years. (I had checked with some colleges before I applied, and they seemed to think I'd be eligible for free fees, but of course I didn't check with the college I actually got into!):(

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi guys,

I have a diploma and I've checked with the college and they say I should have full free fee's. My diploma is level 7 and Im now doing a level 8.

Student finance is not very clear but does say that diploma holders are eligible and also second chance students who may have entered a degree course and not finished it, but are now 5 years out of the education system. If I am told I need to pay fee's I will be appealling as there is no way I can afford them.
    If you did the old National Certificate you won't have to pay fees. It is only if you completed the diploma or degree course.
    Larianne there is nothing to say only cert holders are eligible, so maybe you could post where you got this information as it is causing unnecessary stress to some.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

Just to back up smiler and repeat agin if you have a level 7 ie a diploma you ARE entitled to free fees if youare going on to do a level 8 honours degree!!

Taken from the citizens advice website and confirmed by the depratment of education:

If you are an undergraduate student at a publicly funded third-level educational institution, you do not, in general, have to pay fees.
    Free fees

In order to qualify for free fees:
    • You must be an EU national or have official refugee status and
    • You must have been living in the EU for at least 3 of the 5 years before starting your course and
    • You must be undertaking a full-time undergraduate course of at least 2 years' duration and
    • You must not have a previous qualification to the same level (Students who hold a National Certificate or Diploma and are progressing to degree courses may be eligible) and
    • You must not be repeating the year because of failing your exams or changing course. (This exclusion may be waived if you have to repeat a year due to certified serious illness.)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I stand corrected!! Sorry guys!

I would still check yourself with the institution you have applied to just to double check! Put your mind at ease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mellycat82

Hi there...

I have been accepted into UCD psychiatric nursing in September. I am having trouble understanding what exactly I am going to have to pay! Here's the thing. I have only been resident in Ireland for 2 of the last 5 years. Im Irish and I have completed all of my education here but I went travelling in 2006 to South Africa and came back in 2009. Does this mean I have to cough up full fees? I'm on a social welfare payment at the moment. I couldnt possibly go to college without the free fees scheme. Help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

mellycat82 wrote: »
    Hi there...

I have been accepted into UCD psychiatric nursing in September. I am having trouble understanding what exactly I am going to have to pay! Here's the thing. I have only been resident in Ireland for 2 of the last 5 years. Im Irish and I have completed all of my education here but I went travelling in 2006 to South Africa and came back in 2009. Does this mean I have to cough up full fees? I'm on a social welfare payment at the moment. I couldnt possibly go to college without the free fees scheme. Help!!

The rule for free fee's states that you must have been resident in an EU state (including Ireland) for 3 of the past 5 years so if you were inside the EU then for at least 3 and can prove it should they ask then you will be fine. Did you tell the college/CAO through any of your applications that you were outside of Ireland ?

EDIT: Look here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/fees

Hi, Yes I did say that I was out of the country. I had to mention it because part of my work experience was there. I was in South Africa..nowhere in the EU. Does that mean Im paying for full fees??? How much are full fees for UCD? I'll really be heartbroken if I cant go to college this year! :( It seems unfair.. Im just as Irish as everyone else!:o

• Advertisement

Just one more thing... Is free fees or EU fees or non EU fees something you need to apply for or does it all get worked out automatically? Sorry.. Im just very confused.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

mellycat82 wrote: »
    Hi, Yes I did say that I was out of the country. I had to mention it because part of my work experience was there. I was in South Africa..nowhere in the EU. Does that mean Im paying for full fees??? How much are full fees for UCD? I'll really be heartbroken if I cant go to college this year! :( It seems unfair.. Im just as Irish as everyone else!:o

Best thing to do is contact the college. You can rest assured that if they think you are liable to pay fee's then they will definitely advise you of this. I dont think that colleges will be contacting students offered a place already again until the start of september. Fee's are usually several thousand per year plus the €1,500 registration although others such as medical courses can be about €12,000 per year. I agree thats its unfair if you are Irish - dont see why any Irish citizen should have to meet the residency/nationality requirements.

Advertisement