Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick - Fair Trade City ????

Options
  • 18-07-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

As you go into town, just before sarsfield bridge there are big signs/flags hanging down stating limerick is a Fair Trade City (or town, cant remember) they even have the fair trade logo on them

they've been there a good long time, but what I want to know is, does anybody know in what respect Limerick is meant to be a fair trade city??

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

They were awarded the Fairtrade City status a good few years back, Are those flags up year round? Have never noticed them! :o

Theres a good few restaurants and cafes serving fairtrade products here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

fairtrade is a system designed to allow people to identify products that meet agreed environmental, labour and developmental standards.

The FLO International Fairtrade certification system covers a growing range of products, including bananas, honey, oranges, cocoa, coffee, shortbread, cotton, dried and fresh fruits and vegetables, juices, nuts and oil seeds, quinoa, rice, spices, sugar, tea and wine.

Fairtrade standards for hired labour situations ensure that employees (who manufacture said products) receive what supporters describe as "decent wages".

its basically so the farmer in brazil growing the coffee beans is paid properly and not screwed by employers who manipulate.

most of the cafe's and resturaunts in limerick sell fairtrade products hense limerick has fairtrade status.

more info here if your interested
    http://www.fairtrade.ie/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairtrade_certification

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭zing zong

I know what fair trade is, I just wanted to know what exactly made Limerick a "fair trade city", thats great that we have cafés and restaurants that sell fair trade products, but I cant think of ever seeing any around that made a point of informing whether their products are fair trade? how can you tell?

either way, its a great thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

in fairness its a good thing. alot of cafes dont say that they sell fairtrade but sell it without customer knowledge. i think it should be advertised as it would sell more but i guess these places "know better"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Most of the places that sell fair trade items are the ones that charge you ridiculous prices for simple things as sandwiches and coffee, but you can rest easy at night knowing your money went to a single Guatemalan farmer who picked those exact beans that went into your cup with his bare hands, and that few quid you spent has single handedly bought a new donkey for the village.

or something..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

There are banners up across from The Strand I'm sure, at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The first result I got on google in a search for <limerick fair trade city> links to this page. As the result is a .doc, I've reproduced its contents below. It doesn't list which outlets are "Fairtrade outlets" but it should give a good idea of what is asked by the actual question in the OP. While it makes reference to a page 4, the document doesn't have a page 4. Contents:

Six Goals for a Fairtrade Town, City or Zone

The purpose of a Fairtrade Town is to contribute to Fairtrade Mark Ireland’s aim of tackling poverty by enabling disadvantaged producers from poor countries to receive a better deal, through encouraging support for the FAIRTRADE Mark. In order to further this aim by becoming a Fairtrade Town, the following six goals must be realised. When they are, a signed and dated certificate will be presented by Fairtrade Mark Ireland.
    The goals are in bold. Optional extras, recommended but not required, are in italics.

*Criteria according to population size, please see page four for population ratios and targets.

1. A local Fairtrade steering group is convened to ensure continued commitment to its Fairtrade Town status. This should ideally include a council representative, campaigners, and people representing the areas schools, churches and local businesses. The group is responsible for an annual assessment to monitor whether the area is continuing to meet the six goals.

The group organise special events during Fairtrade Fortnight

2. The Town council passes a resolution supporting Fairtrade, and agrees to serve Fairtrade coffee and tea at its meetings, in its offices and canteens.

Town council commits to promoting Fairtrade to its constituency on a regular basis, through its free publication and other outlets.
    Town council allocates Fairtrade Town responsibilities to a member of staff or committee [possibly its environmental or Agenda 21 officer, working in partnership with a local Fairtrade steering group] to ensure continued commitment to its Fairtrade Town status.
    Street signs are erected declaring it as a Fairtrade Town.

3. A range of FAIRTRADE Mark products [at least two] are available in the Town’s shops, and served in local cafes/ catering outlets. Catering outlets should serve 100% Fairtrade Mark coffee. Tea, cocoa and sugar are welcome additions. Retail stockists should include supermarkets, as well as health and whole food shops. [*See targets according to population size]

These should display literature or posters advertising the fact that they sell or serve Fairtrade Mark products.
    A local Fairtrade directory could be produced advising people where they can buy or find FAIRTRADE Mark products – both on paper, and on-line.

4. FAIRTRADE Mark products are used by a flagship business as well as other local businesses and organisations. This should include schools, churches, large offices and local voluntary groups.

Venues should display stickers, posters advising that they use Fairtrade and support the local Fairtrade Town campaign.

5. The group attract media coverage and popular support for the campaign. For the press the story can be revived as each goal is achieved, organising a big splash for the Fairtrade endorsement ceremony, and developing a strategy to keep it in the news long after.

6. A significant number of schools become Fairtrade Schools. They use the Civil, Social, and Political Education pack (cspe) and video or use The Alive-0 8 programme for primary schools.

Where possible change the school canteen over to Fairtrade coffee/tea and sell Fair-trade snacks in your tuck-shop.
    Organise an event during Fairtrade Fortnight

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I sell Coffee and it is all 100% Fairtrade, 100% Organic and over 90% is Rainforest Alliance.

My prospective customers in Limerick don't really care as long as it is 100% Arabica. Fairtrade is of little interest to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Berty wrote: »
    I sell Coffee and it is all 100% Fairtrade, 100% Organic and over 90% is Rainforest Alliance.

Berty - Personally responsible for 10% of all Rainforest Depletion since Mid-2010.

08667_Chainsaw_RE130.jpg
    My prospective customers in Limerick don't really care as long as it is 100% Arabica. Fairtrade is of little interest to them.

This is the Limerick we know and love :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

They're not picky about the variety of Arabica then? Fecking Philistines...

• Advertisement
Advertisement