Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent: Issue with TV

Options
  • 18-07-2010 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I purchased a TV for €700, along with a table for it and a 5 year warranty, which all came to over €1000 last week. The man in Currys who sold me the TV said it was a Plasma, he also said it was a 200hz tv as well. Upon delivery, we found out the TV was an LCD. The delivery man said well LCDs are better energy-wise than Plasmas so he recommended for us to keep it. We were content although displeased that the salesman had inaccurately told us that it was a plasma, having asked him several times whether it was or not.

Over the weekend, I noticed that for football matches, the motion picture wasn't what you'd expect for a 200hz tv. I did some research into it, and the TV is a 50 hz, and watching the Connaught final today the picture was less than satisfactory.

I am extremely annoyed about this salesman's techniques and how he lied to us. I'm looking to get a full refund tomorrow-but will I get all my money back? He lied to us, but I'm still worried. Will we get the warranty back as well?

Please help:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Impossible to prove the salesman lied and you should have done a bit of research into it anyway. No obligation to give you your money back.

On a side note, RTE on a big lcd/plasma can look crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If you're with UPC, most sports in SD look poor on large sized TVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

gpf101 wrote: »
    Impossible to prove the salesman lied and you should have done a bit of research into it anyway. No obligation to give you your money back.

On a side note, RTE on a big lcd/plasma can look crap.

It was TV3.

I got some advice and the Consumer Information Act 1978 can be applied can it not? I was with my family-four of us there-and he told us all the same thing. I had my research done, it was simply that he mislead us.

If you're with UPC, most sports in SD look poor on large sized TVs.

No I have sky...

Mayoegian wrote: »
    It was TV3.

I got some advice and the Consumer Information Act 1978 can be applied can it not? I was with my family-four of us there-and he told us all the same thing. I had my research done, it was simply that he mislead us.

TV3 / RTE same thing. If you can prove the salesman lied you might get somewhere but there is no way you can do that.

How could you apply the consumer information act if you can't prove he lied? It's pretty hard to believe you couldn't tell the difference between an lcd and plasma tv. Was there not a sticker with the details/price next to it? Currys staff arn't the greatest but they would at least know if the tv was lcv / led / plasma.

Start by contacting the shop and explaining your situation, they might let you bring it back for something else but I doubt they will give you your money back.

What tv is it?

• Advertisement

TV3 / RTE same thing. If you can prove the salesman lied you might get somewhere but there is no way you can do that.

How could you apply the consumer information act if you can't prove he lied? It's pretty hard to believe you couldn't tell the difference between an lcd and plasma tv. Was there not a sticker with the details/price next to it?

Start by contacting the shop and explaining your situation, they might let you bring it back for something else but I doubt they will give you your money back.

What tv is it?

There was no sticker saying it was/was not a plasma or it was/was not an LCD. TV3 and RTE are not the same think btw.

I think I'll seek advice from a more reliable source but thanks for your help anyway.

Obviosuly they are not the same station but they both broadcast in standard definition and can look poorly on a large HD TV.

Grand job go and get your advise anywhere you like, you need plenty of it by the sounds of it. I still can't believe someone would be so out of touch that they wouldn't know what type of TV they were shelling out €700 on.

To be honest your story about the salesman "lying" sounds like nonsense, and if it is true then he must have seen you coming. Do your homework in future and you won't get caught out again. Goodluck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Yahooaccount

Obviosuly they are not the same station but they both broadcast in standard definition and can look poorly on a large HD TV.

Grand job go and get your advise anywhere you like, you need plenty of it by the sounds of it. I still can't believe someone would be so out of touch that they wouldn't know what type of TV they were shelling out €700 on.

To be honest your story about the salesman "lying" sounds like nonsense, and if it is true then he must have seen you coming. Do your homework in future and you won't get caught out again. Goodluck.

The OP was looking for advice, not abuse. If you can't give any constructive help then keep your opinions to yourself.

On another note, I really don't think you should be giving advice as you clearly don't know your stuff. The salesperson has clearly mislead the above poster and family so as long as more than one person was told lies then they have a case.

Your responses since I opened this thread have been nothing but ignorant and unhelpful. I saw another thread where you responded and you were just as dismissive and ignorant. I don't need your 'help' anymore, because quite frankly, you haven't the first clue. You seem like a very irate person, and you should improve on that-ok?:) Thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Why do I think this was a Panasonic ??? What model number was written on the receipt ??? ....usually TXA42XXMM or similar.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Why do I think this was a Panasonic ??? What model number was written on the receipt ??? ....usually TXA42XXMM or similar.

It was a TXL42U2LL. I was advised that Panasonic a had good TV range?

Thank you for replying with a bit of manners!:)

OK. Now was this displayed in the middle of the end wall of Currys in Galway to the left of a Panasonic LED TV by any chance ???

OK. Now was this displayed in the middle of the end wall of Currys in Galway to the left of a Panasonic LED TV by any chance ???

Yes!!

Finally can I put it to you that you watched the Connacht final on TV3 and specifically using a SKY box today.

Finally can I put it to you that you watched the Connacht final on TV3 and specifically using a SKY box today.

Were you spying on me?:eek::p Yes, but I also had trouble watching other matches too on other channels!:)

As soon as you admit that Sponge Bob is ****ing amazing I will advise you of the implications of your answers to my questions.

As soon as you admit that Sponge Bob is ****ing amazing I will advise you of the implications of your answers to my questions.

You're incredibly 100% amazing-the tension is killing me!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

You're incredibly 100% amazing-the tension is killing me!!:p

I'm actually looking forward to hearing this now too :)

1. I saw that telly a few weeks ago myself, hence my helpful description of its location.

a) I thought it was a plasma, the telly to the left of it is an LG plasma which looks sh1te compared to it. It is in fact the LCD model on the receipt if you go into Currys and look at it :)
    b) I got the salesman down to €670 from €700 for my dear Ma, I eschewed the guarantee because I don't actually need it, Panasonic will cover it for 5 years or so under consumer legislation irrespective of whether they only give you a 1 year guarantee or not. You bought a worthless guarantee so try to get that back and pocket €200 you should not have spent because you were misled. I would keep the telly though :)
    c) I chose not to buy a table. Too expensive in Currys
    d) TV3 reduced their Astra bitrate last year so any sport faster than Darts on TV3 on SKY always looks absolutely crap. Their analogue picture is better. TG4 adn RTE broadcast at a much higher bitrate on Sky, especially when showing fast sport.
    e) The RTE picture is excellent on Digital especially RTE2. However if you choose Ireland when setting up it does not turn the Digital tuner on by default, you need to check the settings and turn it on and rescan for a signal.
    f) Over its lifetime it will use half the lekky of a plasma.
    g) You may fiddle with the settings, putting it in eco mode will save more lekky and I also fiddled with the settings to find a bette rpicture with some mode or other.
    h) Finally it is a 42 inch TV and should be viewed from around 4m away or it will block a tad when upscaling a standard def picture....they all do at that size :)

But I consider the TV itself is well worth €700 or so by Irish standards.

HTH

1. I saw that telly a few weeks ago myself, hence my helpful description of its location.

a) I thought it was a plasma, the telly to the left of it is an LG plasma which looks sh1te compared to it. It is in fact the LCD model on the receipt if you go into Currys and look at it :)
    b) I got the salesman down to €670 from €700 for my dear Ma, I eschewed the guarantee because I don't actually need it, Panasonic will cover it for 5 years or so under consumer legislation irrespective of whether they only give you a 1 year guarantee or not. You bought a worthless guarantee so try to get that back and pocket €200 you should not have spent because you were misled. I would keep the telly though :)
    c) I chose not to buy a table. Too expensive in Currys
    d) TV3 reduced their Astra bitrate last year so any sport faster than Darts on TV3 on SKY always looks absolutely crap. Their analogue picture is better. TG4 adn RTE broadcast at a much higher bitrate on Sky, especially when showing fast sport.
    e) The RTE picture is excellent on Digital especially RTE2. However if you choose Ireland when setting up it does not turn the Digital tuner on by default, you need to check the settings and turn it on and rescan for a signal.
    f) Over its lifetime it will use half the lekky of a plasma.
    g) You may fiddle with the settings, putting it in eco mode will save more lekky and I also fiddled with the settings to find a bette rpicture with some mode or other.
    h) Finally it is a 42 inch TV and should be viewed from around 4m away or it will block a tad when upscaling a standard def picture....they all do at that size :)

But I consider the TV itself is well worth €700 or so by Irish standards.

HTH

Is there such a thing as a virtual hug, because I'm sending you a huge one now!!:) Your knowledge of this TV is astounding, you have eased my mind so much, you are amazing!! Thank you soooo much!:D;)

One tiny question, how do I get the analogue picture on TV3?:o

• Advertisement

One tiny question, how do I get the analogue picture on TV3?:o

You must tune it, I take it you have an aerial and are not 100% reliant on SKY . Then you select TV3 by pressing the program guide button on the remote when in TV mode not AV mode ( for the SKY box input)

You must tune it, I take it you have an aerial and are not 100% reliant on SKY . Then you select TV3 by pressing the program guide button on the remote when in TV mode not AV mode ( for the SKY box input)

Thank you so much:D I'm so happy!!:)

Oh and when faffing about with settings I think I permanently put it into something like Cinema mode and with some Eco settings or other and was happy with the results.

Also ensure the SKY box output settings are 16:9 not 4:3 , in settings button on remote , picture.

Next time ask before you buy willya, €1000 is a lot of money . Remember that while the lord giveth the Currys Terms and Conditions verily taketh away :D

I am not waking my mam to annoy her about the precise settings.

Oh and when faffing about with settings I think I permanently put it into something like Cinema mode and with some Eco settings or other and was happy with the results.

Also ensure the SKY box output settings are 16:9 not 4:3 , in settings button on remote , picture.

Next time ask before you buy willya, €1000 is a lot of money . Remember that while the lord giveth the Currys terms and Conditions verily taketh away D

I am not waking my mam to annoy her about the precise settings.

Thank you for all your help-I'll tackle the TV tomorrow:p

SPONGEBOB IS AMAZING!:D

Your responses since I opened this thread have been nothing but ignorant and unhelpful. I saw another thread where you responded and you were just as dismissive and ignorant. I don't need your 'help' anymore, because quite frankly, you haven't the first clue. You seem like a very irate person, and you should improve on that-ok?:) Thanks again.

Ha thank you for your pointers. As for not having a clue, well I amn't the one that spent €700 on a tv and didn't even know what sort of tv it was. I actually have a bit of an interest in home cinema and know a bit about tv's but that's beside the point.

Good luck with your new tv, if you need someone to tune in TV3 give me a shout.

Ha thank you for your pointers. As for not having a clue, well I amn't the one that spent €700 on a tv and didn't even know what sort of tv it was.

Actually if you read the early part of the thread carefully the OP was TOLD what it was, to wit 1 x plasma. It wasn't. Are you a Currys salesman or something ????

When I SAW the same TV I assumed from a distance that it was a plasma too. Even close up at 5 meters it was quite hard to tell it was not.

Unusually it completely outperformed a nearby LED Panny, maybe Panasonic haven't cracked that technology yet. Unsurprisingly it outperformed a nearby LG plasma as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Actually if you read the early part of the thread carefully the OP was TOLD what it was, to wit 1 x plasma. It wasn't. Are you a Currys salesman or something ????

While it came across as a bit sarky gpf101 does have a bit of a point about research. The OP did say "I had my research done, it was simply that he mislead us" . Surely any sort of basic research, if it was done, would have given the OP the info on the set. TBH from reading the posts, the "research" doesnt seem to go beyond believing what the salesman says, which is no sort of research at all.

When I SAW the same TV I assumed from a distance that it was a plasma too. Even close up at 5 meters it was quite hard to tell it was not.

Unusually it completely outperformed a nearby LED Panny, maybe Panasonic haven't cracked that technology yet. Unsurprisingly it outperformed a nearby LG plasma as well.

You thought it was a plasma from 5 meters, fair enough. But did you still think it when you looked at it?

I just can't inderstand how you could spend that much on a tv and not be sure yourself what technology it is based on. I might come across a bit sh1tty with my replies but it just doesn't sound right. Does it not say it anywhere on the box or user manual? When I got my TV (in Currys too) it had Samsung LED plastered all over the box and manual.

I think it is amazing you could but a tv, take it home, unpack it and have a look at the manual and not have any idea it is an LCD.

Another thing that surprises me is the fact the salesman didn't know what tv technology he was selling. I have no interest in Currys but the one thing I did notice in the two Currys stores I looked in is that the staff at least knew if the TV they were selling was LCD / Plasma. One of the main reasons I say this is because they are trained to be sure when they sell a plasma that it is either delivered or collected by a customer in a van etc.

As I'm sure you know plasmas have to be kept upright at all times. It is extremely unlikely they would allow you to put one flat in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

You thought it was a plasma from 5 meters, fair enough. But did you still think it when you looked at it?

I just can't inderstand how you could spend that much on a tv and not be sure yourself what technology it is based on. I might come across a bit sh1tty with my replies but it just doesn't sound right. Does it not say it anywhere on the box or user manual? When I got my TV (in Currys too) it had Samsung LED plastered all over the box and manual.

I think it is amazing you could but a tv, take it home, unpack it and have a look at the manual and not have any idea it is an LCD.

Another thing that surprises me is the fact the salesman didn't know what tv technology he was selling. I have no interest in Currys but the one thing I did notice in the two Currys stores I looked in is that the staff at least knew if the TV they were selling was LCD / Plasma. One of the main reasons I say this is because they are trained to be sure when they sell a plasma that it is either delivered or collected by a customer in a van etc.

As I'm sure you know plasmas have to be kept upright at all times. It is extremely unlikely they would allow you to put one flat in a car.
    Have you actually read this thread ???
    He did NOT bring the TV home, it was delivered.
    If you actually read the thread you will see that your post is completely irrelevant.
    To the OP glad your getting some actual help, but being lied to is wrong, and you have the delivery guy who also persuaded you to take what you knew you did not buy. That would be enough for me to take a small claims court action.
    Some people here think it's fine for shops to pull the wool over your eyes and it's all "buyer beware" but that is totally wrong and any right minded person would agree.
    I would go back to Currys anyway and give them hell for treating people like idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Have you actually read this thread ???
    He did NOT bring the TV home, it was delivered.
    If you actually read the thread you will see that your post is completely irrelevant.
    To the OP glad your getting some actual help, but being lied to is wrong, and you have the delivery guy who also persuaded you to take what you knew you did not buy. That would be enough for me to take a small claims court action.
    Some people here think it's fine for shops to pull the wool over your eyes and it's all "buyer beware" but that is totally wrong and any right minded person would agree.
    I would go back to Currys anyway and give them hell for treating people like idiots.

What would be the grounds for a small claims court action? The TV is working fine, and assuming the model delivered was the model that was ordered then Curry's have delivered on their side of the contract. The OP had the chance to reject the delivery once it was apparent that the TV wasn't a plasma rather than installing and using the TV.

I think the OP is having issues with picture quality on SD sources, but that problem is not confined to LCD TVs and is not a fault with the TV. Also you have to be careful comparing TV pictures in a well-lit busy shop as many TVs will be set to a high-contrast high-colour settings on display.

The extended warranty is a waste of money IMHO.

SSE

PS I'd have bought a Philips!

Advertisement