Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent: Issue with TV

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Regardless of whether or not they legally would have to offer redress, I'm pretty sure if you asked for a manager, and with the witnessing family members in tow, explained that the staff member in question sold you a set based on utter lies/total misinformation, they would work something out for you.

As for not noticing whether the tv was plasma or LCD - hardly a criminal mistake, some people really don't know the difference and do rely on salespeople to provide them with those fundamentals - hardly an unreasonable expectation. TVs wouldn't be one of them but there are many areas in which I could make a purchase that I would be completely 100% clueless about and thus make the assumption that the staff member I'm asking in store does know.

Honestly, a staff member not being able to distinguish between plasma and LCD in Currys is simply criminal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

gpf101 wrote: »
    You thought it was a plasma from 5 meters, fair enough. But did you still think it when you looked at it?

I just can't inderstand how you could spend that much on a tv and not be sure yourself what technology it is based on. I might come across a bit sh1tty with my replies but it just doesn't sound right. Does it not say it anywhere on the box or user manual? When I got my TV (in Currys too) it had Samsung LED plastered all over the box and manual.

I think it is amazing you could but a tv, take it home, unpack it and have a look at the manual and not have any idea it is an LCD.

Another thing that surprises me is the fact the salesman didn't know what tv technology he was selling. I have no interest in Currys but the one thing I did notice in the two Currys stores I looked in is that the staff at least knew if the TV they were selling was LCD / Plasma. One of the main reasons I say this is because they are trained to be sure when they sell a plasma that it is either delivered or collected by a customer in a van etc.

As I'm sure you know plasmas have to be kept upright at all times. It is extremely unlikely they would allow you to put one flat in a car.

There was absolutely no place where it said LCD or Plasma instore. Both I and 2 other members of my family asked him 'was it a plasma' and he said yes, this whole section has plasma tvs.

I had my research done, the info looked good on the sticker but it didnt include the Hz or whether it was a plasma/lcd.

Tbh, you need to grow up. I have been helped by Spongebob who actually READ my post and responded with superb help.

I think it's best if you dont respond to this thread if you have nothing more constructive to say about my Opost.

PaulieBoy wrote: »
    Have you actually read this thread ???
    He did NOT bring the TV home, it was delivered.
    If you actually read the thread you will see that your post is completely irrelevant.
    To the OP glad your getting some actual help, but being lied to is wrong, and you have the delivery guy who also persuaded you to take what you knew you did not buy. That would be enough for me to take a small claims court action.
    Some people here think it's fine for shops to pull the wool over your eyes and it's all "buyer beware" but that is totally wrong and any right minded person would agree.
    I would go back to Currys anyway and give them hell for treating people like idiots.

Thank you so much! Some people on this thread have real unhealthy attitudes, so thanks for actually reading my posts:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Mayoegian wrote: »
    Thank you so much! Some people on this thread have real unhealthy attitudes, so thanks for actually reading my posts:)

Just because people don't tell you what you want to hear doesn't mean they're not trying to help you. You can try the "give Curry's hell" approach if you like but I can't see you getting anywhere with a confrontational approach, more likely you'll be asked to leave.

You have a decent model TV, perhaps changing from the default settings may give you a better picture. Many large screen TVs will suffer with fast-moving standard definition sources, my Samsung is poor with the football on RTE.

My only issue would be that you were sold an extended warranty when, as far as I'm aware, Panasonic offer a 5 year guarantee anyway.

Good luck with it,

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

My god. Some people get very worked up over a tv.
    It may not be relevant but just so people know Curry's don't pay their staff commision.
    I actually read every post myself and felt that when the OP didn't like what he/she was hearing it didn't go down well imo.
    Anyway it seems to have been sorted.

• Advertisement

Just because people don't tell you what you want to hear doesn't mean they're not trying to help you. You can try the "give Curry's hell" approach if you like but I can't see you getting anywhere with a confrontational approach, more likely you'll be asked to leave.

You have a decent model TV, perhaps changing from the default settings may give you a better picture. Many large screen TVs will suffer with fast-moving standard definition sources, my Samsung is poor with the football on RTE.

My only issue would be that you were sold an extended warranty when, as far as I'm aware, Panasonic offer a 5 year guarantee anyway.

Good luck with it,

SSE

The thing is, the first person who responded wasn't helping me.

Thanks for your help though-I appreciate it!:)

The thing is, the first person who responded wasn't helping me.

Thanks for your help though-I appreciate it!:)

I think the first person gave you genuine advice but it wasn't what you wanted to hear imo

amiable wrote: »
    I think the first person gave you genuine advice but it wasn't what you wanted to hear imo

She had an attitude that I didn't appreciate, and was more intent on lamblasting me than giving any constructive help.

This thread was set up to provide me help concerning a consumer issue. It has derailed so much and gone completely off-topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

. It has derailed so much and gone completely off-topic.

I suppose the general problem is that:

1. You view the TVs in a shop with low quality UPC standard def cable feeds, in the main.
    2. There is now a huge choice of 42" between €600 and €800 both LCD and Plasma.
    3. There is a reasonable choice of 42" LED between €900 and €1200 and you need to see one against an LCD and Plasma to understand the difference.
    4. Yer average punter relies on the salesman to explain the difference. LCD has improved to the point where it is quite difficult to tell in many cases especially with the sources used in shops.
    4. The only clearly different ones are the 3D TVs. These start above €1200 and nobody should buy one unless they have performed an extended test on it, lots of people get severe headaches or queasiness with 3D so you need to make sure it works very well as a 2D TV too. I think the 3D fad will be over by the end of next year myself.

Given that Irish Digital TV is coming up for launch in October ( I have had the tests running for over a year) one should ensure that the TV will work with it.

Lots of TVs for sale here that are dumped over from the UK, particularly via Argos Tesco Lidl and Aldi cannot work with Digital TV in Ireland.

Currys are not as bad as that lot but they do sell TVs that will not work with Digital in Ireland. Be warned !!!

Now is not the time to buy the wrong TV
    because if you do the tuner will stop working at the end of 2012 and you will need a new tuner unit. There is a long thread HERE on Boards where you should check the model number...every letter and number of it.... for compliance before you buy it.

She had an attitude that I didn't appreciate, and was more intent on lamblasting me than giving any constructive help.

This thread was set up to provide me help concerning a consumer issue. It has derailed so much and gone completely off-topic.

Fair enough. Have it your way but thats several people you've not listened to. I see a trend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Yahooaccount

Fair enough. Have it your way but thats several people you've not listened to. I see a trend

The only trend I see is that several people such as you are not offering proper advice and are only here to create trouble for the OP, while most posters here are here to help.

The only trend I see is that several people such as you are not offering proper advice and are only here to create trouble for the OP, while most posters here are here to help.
    And when people did try and help and it wasn't what OP wanted to hear it wan't appreciated.
    Sometimes imo people want to be told you are entitled to a full refund and you were wronged. And if someone disagrees with them they don't like it and declare it unhelpful. Sometimes the truth is not what people want to hear. I'm still amazed someone forked out on a guarantee like that.
    It is allowed to express my opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

just a couple of comments, that may or may not add to discussion...

1.) I've found the staff at Currys Galway to be extremely lacking in anything but very basic knowledge regarding TV's..
    Was in there a few months ago and asked about freeview/Mpeg4 support and I may as well have been asking about 16th century Polish Romantic poetry

2.) Not at all sure - but if the extended warranty is a financial agreement, is it covered by a cooling off period - ie, there is a possibility that you can get out of it

3.) Sponge Bob does indeed appear to be an all knowing deity !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

There is also a Curry's Talk to forum on Boards
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1333

Just something to note for future reference maybe, you can talk to them direct yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 louisolouis

when he called it a plasma when it was actually a LCD- it is misrepresentation of fact.

it would be like describing a cars seats as leather when they are cloth.
    just blatantly false.

it is a contract law term and a relevant point to be raised if discussing the issue with the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The OP was looking for advice, not abuse. If you can't give any constructive help then keep your opinions to yourself.

On another note, I really don't think you should be giving advice as you clearly don't know your stuff. The salesperson has clearly mislead the above poster and family so as long as more than one person was told lies then they have a case.

Yahooaccount - please leave the moderating of the forum to the moderators.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Yahooaccount

And when people did try and help and it wasn't what OP wanted to hear it wan't appreciated.
    Sometimes imo people want to be told you are entitled to a full refund and you were wronged. And if someone disagrees with them they don't like it and declare it unhelpful. Sometimes the truth is not what people want to hear. I'm still amazed someone forked out on a guarantee like that.
    It is allowed to express my opinion?

The first poster to this thread answered in a pompous fashion, and having taken the liberty of checking over their previous posts, it seems they use that attitude in their daily lives also. The fact that you are sticking up for this person suggests you share a similar attitude.

Several people have tried to help the OP, and the only issue here is that the sales person in Curry's allegedly informed the buyer that a particular model TV was a plasma, when in fact it is an LCD. Whether by deliberate act or not, we'll never know, and the most basic of research on the internet would have revealed the error and the full spec. of the TV. The OP then had the chance to reject the TV on delivery, but chose to accept, open and use the TV. Subsequently a potential issue with SD sport sources was identified, and I and others have tried to point out that this is a common issue across large screen TVs - plasma, LCD, LED from all manufacturers - with some dealing with it better than others - and that changing from the default picture settings may help. The OP has a reasonable TV at a reasonable price, but I would say they were possibly sold an unnecessary extended warranty and should take this up with Curry's.

SSE

The only pomposity here is you acting like the mod you aren't. Please give it a rest.

Several people have tried to help the OP, and the only issue here is that the sales person in Curry's allegedly informed the buyer that a particular model TV was a plasma, when in fact it is an LCD. Whether by deliberate act or not, we'll never know, and the most basic of research on the internet would have revealed the error and the full spec. of the TV. The OP then had the chance to reject the TV on delivery, but chose to accept, open and use the TV. Subsequently a potential issue with SD sport sources was identified, and I and others have tried to point out that this is a common issue across large screen TVs - plasma, LCD, LED from all manufacturers - with some dealing with it better than others - and that changing from the default picture settings may help. The OP has a reasonable TV at a reasonable price, but I would say they were possibly sold an unnecessary extended warranty and should take this up with Curry's.

SSE

Hold on, I was told it was a 200hz TV. Seriously did you actually bother readin my post?

There are some serious hot-heads on here, and people who jump in the deep end when not bothering to read my posts-absolutely crazy.

Hold on, I was told it was a 200hz TV. Seriously did you actually bother readin my post?

There are some serious hot-heads on here, and people who jump in the deep end when not bothering to read my posts-absolutely crazy.

Yes of course I have read your posts - was anything written down or was it all verbal? If the latter then you're going to find it very difficult to prove anything - especially in court, which is what some people on here have been talking about.

I'm honestly trying to help you but I research these things exhaustively, check model numbers, read reviews etc. before handing over anything, plus I check the delivery and don't accept it if it's wrong or damaged. I also ignore anything said by salespeople in shops. From the seller's point of view they sold you a Panasonic xxxx, delivered a Panasonic xxxx and you've opened and used a Panasonic xxxx. That's all.

SSE

• Advertisement

I have been offered a refund or an exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭M00lers

Are you sure?:)

Are you sure?:)

Yep:)
    I think we'll go with an exchange for a Plasma, but we still have to decide:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The first poster to this thread answered in a pompous fashion, and having taken the liberty of checking over their previous posts, it seems they use that attitude in their daily lives also. The fact that you are sticking up for this person suggests you share a similar attitude.

That's a shocking allegation to be fair.

I have little time for people coming on here whinging about things they really should have picked up on themselves. The OP didn't even attempt to contact Currys about a replacement before they came on here calling them liars. When they did contact them they exchanged the tv so really the thread is pointless. If you read my post history properely I have spent many hours replying in a helpful fashion to many many threads on here. I have spent almost an hour on certain threads giving advice and doing buyers guides etc.

How dare you cast aspersions about my life based on a post about a tv. Right out of order. If you actually knew me or in fact anything about my life then you might have a right to make comments like that but you don't and I don't appreciate you commenting on it. Thats the end of my "pompous" contribution to this thread.

That's a shocking allegation to be fair.

I have little time for people coming on here whinging about things they really should have picked up on themselves. The OP didn't even attempt to contact Currys about a replacement before they came on here calling them liars. When they did contact them they exchanged the tv so really the thread is pointless. If you read my post history properely I have spent many hours replying in a helpful fashion to many many threads on here. I have spent almost an hour on certain threads giving advice and doing buyers guides etc.

How dare you cast aspersions about my life based on a post about a tv. Right out of order. If you actually knew me or in fact anything about my life then you might have a right to make comments like that but you don't and I don't appreciate you commenting on it. Thats the end of my "pompous" contribution to this thread.

Ok, but a little bit of manners wouldn't go astray when you're dealing with people. I really find it hard to understand people like you who have such a negative attitude with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Just blundered into this thread by chance, but Sponge Bob deserves much kudos here. Useful responses on boards.ie! Wonders will never cease.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's a message board, I say things like I see it and it being an Internet medium it alloys people to be more direct. Maybe I was too direct but anyway the thread has been clogged with enough bickering. Glad you got your money back.

Back on topic a little, as many people did say SD sports will look poor on most big tvs. Higher refresh rate lcds are no super improvement, so if it is mainly for sport then your probably right in getting a plasma.

It's a message board, I say things like I see it and it being an Internet medium it alloys people to be more direct. Maybe I was too direct but anyway the thread has been clogged with enough bickering. Glad you got your money back.

Back on topic a little, as many people did say SD sports will look poor on most big tvs. Higher refresh rate lcds are no super improvement, so if it is mainly for sport then your probably right in getting a plasma.

Thanks!:)

Advertisement