Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starcraft II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Could i temp you with 1 of these bad boys?

340_20100426_1980.jpg

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

PFFT, real men use:

7-7-10-ares600guru3d1.jpg
    Endgadet wrote:
    The three slot monstrosity above is the ARES, a $1200 limited edition, fully custom board, sporting twin Radeon HD 5870 GPUs, four gigabytes of GDDR5 memory and practically enough raw copper to smelt a sword. We're not joking: the thing weighs nearly five pounds and requires a 750 watt power supply with three power connectors (two 8-pin, one 6-pin) to even run.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i was looking at something more conservative:

SAPPHIRE-VAPOR-X-ATI-Radeon-HD-5770.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I really like them Vapour X cards. Thinking about getting the 5870 version if my 4850s are fecked like i suspect they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Toms Hardware didn't convince You buy a Nvidia card :eek:

• Advertisement

A naked stripper grinding against my crotch could not convince me to buy nvidia at the present time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121363

not a vapor-x but with $20 rebate and today-only another $20 off its only $125 instead of sapphire's vapor-x reference $195 - and apparently its a little volted up. the non-reference vapor can be had for $155
    Exclusive Voltage Tweak Technology to increase extra performance!
    Exclusive 5.8oz Copper Rod (CuCore) Cooler
    judges? edit: guess its a non-reference card too and reviewers all agree the cooling sucks; the asus card games at 100c. ouch. do not want :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

hey guys, i'm gettin SC II on tuesday, have no gfx card to play it on though, my current card is a Radeon X 1550, which is useless for anything except warcraft 3, which is a year 2000 release lol.

But anyway, got a budget of 300 and will be getting the card on friday, but i'm not really sure which i need. As i see that a lot of people are divided between ATI/Nvidia it's kinda hard to choose. I had a GTX 275 for like 1 month, before i lent it to my brother, he's using it to edit a lot of sfx for films. And it's his job so i can't take it back, so just gonna buy the new card, then let him pay me for my 275 and he can keep it.

One idea i had was buying another GTX 275 and linking them, can this be done? And is it worth it? or would a GTX 460/470 do the same amount of work?
    I also see a GTX 280 for €150 on adverts.ie, not sure if that's worth the investment though as it's not dx11.

Everything else on my rig is up to date, 8gb ram, quad core 2.8ghz, windows 7 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

The best cards to get right now in terms of speed, all dx11

ATI 5750 (will play Starcraft just fine)
    ATI 5770 (most popular card at the mo)
    ATI 5830 (a little faster, always dropping in price)
    NVidia 460 (their only card worth getting at the mo)
    ATI 5850 (still the best value/performance high-end card)

All should be sub 300

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i'm using a 2 year old ATI 4870 and it defaults to everything on ultra settings so anything around that or better would be fine

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    A naked stripper grinding against my crotch
    I wish I hadnt bought a new PC because that sounds like a worthwhile purchase right now. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I've been thinking about getting a GTX460 to replace my grinding 8800GTS (which played the beta only ok-ish, a few crashes)

Komplett have a few of the 768MB versions, €202 for standard and €215 for the superclocked version.
    Only thing is I only have 420W power supply which isn't enough yeah?
    And I might bump my RAM from 2 to 4GB while I'm upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Only thing is I only have 420W power supply which isn't enough yeah?
    And I might bump my RAM from 2 to 4GB while I'm upgrading.

Depends on the PSU....

A Good qaulity psu such as corsair/seasonic, more than enough.

A bad quality PSU not a hope and is porb a fire hazard waiting to happen:pac:

post up the make of your psu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Hmm, it came with my Antec case so I presume it's Antec, yep Neo HE430, had no probs with it in 3 or so years: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article273-page1.html
    Actually had 10 more watts than I thought I was getting, woo. :p

I think it was just enough to power the 8800GTS in any case.
    I might go for a decent 500W, what's good these days? Modular cables and super quiet pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Hmm, it came with my Antec case so I presume it's Antec, yep Neo HE430, had no probs with it in 3 or so years: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article273-page1.html
    Actually had 10 more watts than I thought I was getting, woo. :p

I think it was just enough to power the 8800GTS in any case.
    I might go for a decent 500W, what's good these days? Modular cables and super quiet pls.

I had a coolermaster 500W silent pro that i sold recently - it was fairly silent, at least i never heard it above the hard drive, and it was modular. I have no idea what was available on the rails, it powered a 4870 no problem though

Edit: http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/29_PSU/01_PSU/productdetails/10020274/CoolerMaster_Silent_Pro_M500_Power_supply_(/RS500_AMBAD3_EU/default.aspx

Thats what i had, its taken a jump in price since i got it though, think it was around €60. Probably better off going for something else unless your existing one does the job

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I had a coolermaster 500W silent pro that i sold recently - it was fairly silent, at least i never heard it above the hard drive, and it was modular. I have no idea what was available on the rails, it powered a 4870 no problem though

Edit: http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/29_PSU/01_PSU/productdetails/10020274/CoolerMaster_Silent_Pro_M500_Power_supply_(/RS500_AMBAD3_EU/default.aspx

Thats what i had, its taken a jump in price since i got it though, think it was around €60. Probably better off going for something else unless your existing one does the job

Coolermaster 500W has 34Amps by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've been thinking about getting a GTX460 to replace my grinding 8800GTS (which played the beta only ok-ish, a few crashes)

Would a GTX have any hope? At 1920:rolleyes:

Other specs:
    4GB
    Core 2 Duo 6700 @2.66
    Vista HB (Dont start:p)

Also, cheapest source for it?

Advertisement