Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversion.

Options
  • 18-07-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Even a rough estimate will do for now here's the details I have so far.

Floor is 16ft long
    Width is 21ft

Roof pitch/height

6ft 6” but you have beams running across which are about 5ft 5".

Height from the joist to the ridge?
    (Is this the floor to the beam that goes across the top if so it's 5ft 5"

Trussed roof.

There's already a foldable attic stairs (timber similar to a staire cheaper version I guess) but I guess a small stairs or spiral staircase would have to be put in? If so there might not be room for one in which case there is a small WC that could be knocked out to make room.

Attic would be a bedroom with en suite ie Whb and loo.

I guess velux windows.

It's an empty attic so no elec. except for a light that doesn't work and no water up there. There is an adjoining attic belonging to the older part of the house that has the tanks etc. So there are no chimneys or tanks in the attic to be converted. Yhere's a bit of floor insualtion atm but nothing else.
    There's also no heating in it, would you get away with an oil fired rad. and then a fan heater in the bathroom if the attic was insulated well?

Not sure what else to add even a rough guestimate would do because we just want to check if it's even on the cards or so expensive it's impossible.
    Hope I got the measurements right it's very confusing. Not even sure how possible it is to convert it in to a reasonably sized space.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭rebecca 30

If I were you I would get 10 different builders in and get quotes from all of them , I did mine this year for 5,500 , I got quotes from 5,500 to 10,000 !!!!!!! I got quotes a couple of years ago which were up on 15,000 ,
    Builders are not so busy now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Guess you're right I can't make head nor tail of the measurements so probably better just to get a few diff. builders to quote me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭rebecca 30

and asked them for pictures of there other work , don't just go with the cheapest , ask them there time line !!!! take your time picking one !!!!! lots of builders out there and also make sure they have insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am going to put my neck on the line and say that no one will get an attic conversion done for less than 10k and expect to pay 15 unless the structural timbers are already rated to take the load.

Additionally there is extra unforseen needs which i wish to make you aware off.

Its not just a case of putting a bathroom up in the attic.

You will need to fit a negative head pump to run the bathroom and if you plan for an electic shower a T80 will be required which will also require a T450I pump. This is 700 cost for the 2 items alone.

I am not to fam with planning laws but I think the rules have become very strict on conversions...ie for it to be declared a room you will need it certified by an architect(1k) and some building society.banks will not give loans if you sell without this cert.

additionally I imagine this will have a serious effect on your ber rateing if not done right.

I know a lad in Ashbourne that does conversions and follows all the rules( The last time i delt with him anyway)

I will pm his details if you need them

Advertisement