Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Would I Go About Getting A Psychiatric Evaluation for Myself?

• 18-07-2010 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I've been having mental issues for as far back as I can remember, things which stem far beyond simple depression. I've seen my GP, and she suggested visiting a therapist. I arranged an appointment last week and have had my first session, but for some reason I don't see it working out. It may seem as though I'm jumping the gun here, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I don't feel comfortable sitting there discussing my life story while someone stares at me offering no feedback.

I'm wondering if I would be able to arrange to be seen by a psychologist or psychiatrist as opposed to a therapist, someone who might be more capable of giving me an actual diagnosis. I'm not looking for medication or special treatment or anything like that, I'm simply looking to find a professional capable of helping me to pinpoint what's wrong, and who can help me to find a way to treat what's wrong with me. It's all well and good paying someone to allow you to talk at them for an hour, but I want someone to actually help me find a diagnosis.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
    Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Sounds like your looking for a psychiatrist, back to your GP for a psych referral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

A referral to your local mental health services would get you an assessment by a psychiatrist, who would then refer you to whatever facility they think is best for you: medication, art therapy, CBT, psychoanalysis, counselling, day hospital, anxiety group, psychologist, etc etc depending on what they have available in the area. All public mental health services are free of charge.

Or you can ask your GP to refer you to a psychologist. Some services have joint assessments by psychologist/psychiatrist.

Advertisement