Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slavery at work

• 18-07-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I think my employers are taking advantage of me. Im doing the work of two people and my hours have increased but Im still on the same pay. My employers were very crafty in that they have sneaked all this on me. It started off as just a little extra work and as time passed it increased and increased. Things are just not right. Im just after doing a 7 day week. Im back at work again tomorrow and will be doing six or seven days.
    Im a childminder and being treated as if im a nanny. I was minding two kids for the family that i work for in their home. but now they have dumped three others on me without even asking me. The nieces and nephew just arrive in the morning and are just dumped on me. One of the kids for the family i work for has additional needs and requires a lot of care. I didnt sign up for this and want out. I dont know what to do. When I spoke to the parents about it i was told - sure, at least i get to have a break when i go home. dont know if i can continue on working there. its too much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I think my employers are taking advantage of me. Im doing the work of two people and my hours have increased but Im still on the same pay. My employers were very crafty in that they have sneaked all this on me. It started off as just a little extra work and as time passed it increased and increased. Things are just not right. Im just after doing a 7 day week. Im back at work again tomorrow and will be doing six or seven days.
    Im a childminder and being treated as if im a nanny. I was minding two kids for the family that i work for in their home. but now they have dumped three others on me without even asking me. The nieces and nephew just arrive in the morning and are just dumped on me. One of the kids for the family i work for has additional needs and requires a lot of care. I didnt sign up for this and want out. I dont know what to do. When I spoke to the parents about it i was told - sure, at least i get to have a break when i go home. dont know if i can continue on working there. its too much.

I can't believe they said that to you. How brazen, that has really annoyed me. You are there to do a job. Their kids are their responsibility.

When you started working, was there a set amount of pay and work hours arranged?

I think you should write down what your job entailed when you started, and what it entails now (including the extra children), present it to the parents, and tell them that the workload has obviously increased, that this is not the job you signed on for and that you should be paid accordingly. Give them their options, and tell them you'll give them a set amount of time to think about it. It up to yourself what angle you want to go for, whether you want your hours reduced or you want more pay or both?

I don't know what your personal situation is, and if you have the financial freedom to risk leaving the job if needs be, but I would be pushing this. You are not the kids' parent. I know times are tough and they are probably trying to get the most out of you, but that should not be your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Show up tomorrow, refuse to take responsibility of the three extra kids, and don't go in next Saturday or Sunday.

Do the work your payed to do, nothing more, nothing less.

If your being payed for 5 days of minding 2 kids, then show up for 5 days and mind 2 kids.

Don't be taken advantage of OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

You need to sit them down and draw up some guidelines about what is in the bounds of the service that you are providing, and what is not ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

You have to sit them down and point out these were not the terms of employment you agreed to and won't be working until a contract or mutual agreement is drawn up outlining your hours and responsibilities.

They are absolutely taking you for granted, there are plenty of families crying out for a good child-minder, don't be afraid of looking out for other work and then handing your notice in if you aren't happy with how they have treated you.

Throwing extra kids in and working 7 days a week is taking the absolute p!ss and they know it. Refuse to continue with the status quo, it sounds to me like they've signed up various other kids that require a child-minder without bothering to clear it with you or pay you accordingly. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I really am amazed as a parent that this kind of crap goes on, in my book a happy childminder is up there with a happy airline pilot or heart surgeon. The whole weekend thing sounds completely out of order. the advice seems spot on here and reasonable

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

like the above poster I am amazed that people should treat their childminder like this you are minding their most precious pocession and they treat you like this. two children is more than enough to mind when one of them has special needs surely they want the bet care possible for them? Can you afford to just walk away are you very dependant on the money you are paid, if not just walk away. if you cant just afford to leave start looking for another job. Discuss this with your employers write down what terms you took the job on and what you are now expected to do, it may take some time for you to find another job and you sound at breaking point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

silverharp wrote: »
    I really am amazed as a parent that this kind of crap goes on, in my book a happy childminder is up there with a happy airline pilot or heart surgeon. The whole weekend thing sounds completely out of order. the advice seems spot on here and reasonable

OP, if anything happens the children while they are in your care, whether it is your fault (highly unlikely) or due to extenuating circumstances such as overwork, then your employers won't think twice about firing you and making sure you never work as a childminder again.

If you were working in a creche would you be expected to take on such a workload? Bear in mind that one of the children you are minding has special needs.

It would be interesting to find out how much it would cost these people to put 5 children in a creche all day for 7 days, taking into account the special needs child. Compare the cost of this with what you are being paid. You might even present those figures to your employers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

u need to bail on them. they are taking huge advantage of you. no point in negotiating with people like this, they will continue to try it on with you.
    I would take my last payment from them and then simply not turn up anymore, they dont deserve a notice period after their actions and have no comeback on you anyway. so BAIL!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Go to them and tell them you are working what you have been paid to do. Tell them that you want weekends off. They might refuse. If so, quit. If they want a break in the evenings, tough shít, they shouldn't have had kids then.

You'll find another family who need a childminder very quickly. Loads of work out there apperently.

Advertisement