Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to wear

• 18-07-2010 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭

Out cycling yesterday the weather varied from warm to cold to torrential rain.

Just wondering what more experienced cyclists wear these days? I have a good rain jacket which keeps me dry, which is fine in the heavy rain when it tends to get a bit colder but its too bulky to fit into jersey pockets with any comfort and its too warm a lot of the time.

I was thinking I could get a camelback or something along those lines with a small storage compartment but I dont really want to have to carry a bag?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lightweight waterproof which fits in the pocket
    arm warmers knee warmers (if its cold enough)

mind i didnt need a waterproof today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Cheers, Any recommendations for a lightweight waterproof? Are they expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I actually have one of those and its great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have one of them too, they are good but the waterproofing disappears if you wash it.

Also watch out with Montane with the sizing. They are fecking enormous. I am generally medium on top but small in Montane and even that is generous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/eng/Products/Apparel/Mens/Details/263-9M323-Morphis-Shell

Have an older version of this.
    Removeable sleeves to convert from cycling jacket to gillet. Sleeves held to jacket by magnets so very easy to take sleeves on and off.

A jacket with removeable sleeves or pit zips are a must.

i have and older version of this
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41943

again waterproof till you wash it, wash and spray with tx direct normally sorts it for a bit

i also have a descente velom gilet which is great for cold mornings when you know its going to warm up

(btw way i bought all this stuff in sales for at least half price buy summer gear in winter and winter gear in summer )

having mtb'ed for many years i realised staying dry was almost impossible on a bike and the best you can do is stay warm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

On a general note- I always avoid washing waterproofs if at all possible.

If they do get road grime or mud on them I hang em in the shower while they are still wet and rinse em down with plenty of cold water.Let them drip dry well before packing them.
    I would never put them in the washing machine/tumble dryer even on cold settings.

papac wrote: »

If they do get road grime or mud on them I hang em in the shower while they are still wet and rinse em down with plenty of cold water.Let them drip dry well before packing them.
    I would never put them in the washing machine/tumble dryer even on cold settings.

sorry should have said that - hand wash in nikwax tech wash never in washer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've washed a couple of items in a cool wash with non-bio liquid and they've still maintained the beading effect as if they were new. Having said that, I try to do it as little as possible and have been looking at the various nikwax products with the view to doing all my waterproofs with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

This is usually a very simple way to wash the gear and much easier than hand washing stuff. I do my Goretex gear this way.

Advertisement