Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is SPARTA!

Options
  • 18-07-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone! Thread title inspired from a friend who has an unhealthy obsession with the film 300. In particular the actors' bodies. Just wanted to set up this log to keep track of my hopeful:

(a) fat loss
    (b) strength gain
    (c) muscle gain

in that order.

Anyway, vital stats:

Male
    5'11/180cm
    13.5 stone/86kg

Bit of background info:

Was at 65kg/10.5 stone by the end of October, and the fittest I've ever been. Needed to be as I ran the Dublin City Marathon. At that stage my body fat levels were at the lowest they'd ever been, but I still had a bit to lose. I didn't get them measured, I'm just judging by looks, the fit of clothes etc. My muscle mass was pretty low, what with all the long distance running, so after the marathon I gave up all the running, went from eating 1,800 calories a day to roughly 3,000-3,500 and took up Starting Strength. Between November and December I gained nearly 13kg/2 stone. Obviously some of it was fat, some of it was muscle. Anyway, I left the country in January for a round the world trip, and only arrived back last week, fat as a fool! So I have to sort out my diet, take up lifting weights again and start a bit of HIIT cardio. Gonna put everything I eat in a separate thread on the Nutrition forum and every bit of cardio or weight lifting goes here.

So far I started Starting Strenth again last night, as below I'll only include the work sets:

Squat - 3x5x60kg
    Bench - 3x5x40kg
    Deadlift - 1x5x60kg

Hoping to add a few pull-ups, chin-ups and dips in a few weeks (yes I know I'm messing with the program and that it's not SS then). Gonna start the HIIT on alternative days from next week, once the pain from the first few days back in the gym subsides. Will be focusing mainly on running, with a little bit of rowing thrown in there also.

Ok, here goes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

Best of luck frogdog

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Today:

Squat - 3x5x60kg
    Press - 3x5x25kg
    Power Clean - 5x3x40kg

Squat - 3x5x60kg
    Bench - 3x5x40kg
    Deadlift - 1x5x60kg

Today:

Squat - 3x5x60kg
    Press - 3x5x25kg
    Power Clean - 5x3x40kg

Squat - 3x5x65kg
    Bench - 3x5x42.5kg
    Deadlift - 1x5x65kg

• Advertisement

Squat - 3x5x65kg
    Press - 3x5x27.5kg
    Power Clean - 5x3x42.5kg

Squat 3x5x65
    Bench 3x5x45
    Deadlift 1x5x70

Squat - 3x5x65kg
    Press - 2x5x30kg, 1x3x30kg
    Power Clean - 5x3x50kg

Right I think the strictness of SS is out the window at this stage. I'm trying to lose fat so I'm not eating enough calories to see sustained progress. Hence the failure in the Press today. I guess I was going against everything I've ever learnt on here in trying to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Serves me right, the failure today. :rolleyes: So a change is needed.

First off, I'll definitely continue lifting weights, and I think I'm going to stick to the SS layout as I find it enjoyable. I won't be able to make the weight increases every week. I'll try and push myself for increasing weight every 2 weeks if possible, by smaller increments than Rippetoe suggests.

Secondly, HIIT starts tomorrow, as well as counting my calories. :pac:

Right well definitely there's been a big drop in fitness since I ran the DCM last October! :o

Started the HIIT this morning, could only keep running for about 5 minutes. Haven't done a jot of cardio in 9 months - what could I expect I suppose. :pac:

At least it's a start, and after a while should be able to crank it up to a maximum time of 20 minutes.

Will do 5 minutes HIIT on the rower tonight before I go to bed as well. Hopefully!

Squat 3x5x65
    Bench 3x5x45
    Deadlift 1x5x70

• Advertisement
Advertisement