Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting yourself in the foot...

• 18-07-2010 10:55pm

Dx
    Don't you hate it when you mess things up for yourself?
    I don't know what the female equivalent of a cockblock is, but I just did it to myself. This South American guy from work kept asking me out, and I kept refusing him because I didn't want the whole drama of dating a guy from my workplace (it's a part-time job, I'm a student, so going out with him wouldn't have been professional suicide). Then he just up and quit a couple of weeks ago and disappeared, only to return today to pick up his final payslip. He had let his hair grow out and even had a bit of a beard... imagine a Guatemalan Zachary Quinto. With a smaller nose and a slightly shorter face.
    Yep, I'm kicking myself right now.

Discuss; moments like this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭MsHolloway

oh no! you should have asked him out, now that he's left!!
    Is there any way you could get in touch with him?

Not sure if its the same, but I had a chance of going to Canada last year and decided not to go - mostly due to financial reasons. I'm thinking now I could have scrapped by and it would have been worth it to try.

So yes, kicking myself over that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

The guy has been shot down a load of times and has probably "gotten over" the OP at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Went to lunch yesterday with a girl from work about whom I'm slightly mad. We flirt a bit but I'm never quite sure if she's actually into me. So she asks how come I'm single and I say that I haven't really found anyone I have a connection with lately and she looks at me with kinda puppy-dog eyes and says "So... you don't like anyone at the moment then...?" and I pause, think about it and go "Nah!"

/kicks self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

Went to lunch yesterday with a girl from work about whom I'm slightly mad. We flirt a bit but I'm never quite sure if she's actually into me. So she asks how come I'm single and I say that I haven't really found anyone I have a connection with lately and she looks at me with kinda puppy-dog eyes and says "So... you don't like anyone at the moment then...?" and I pause, think about it and go "Nah!"

/kicks self.

You go straight up to her today and tell her straight out you lied and there is someone!!! HER! It will melt her... Go now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

/kicks self.
    You have to tell her man...really you have to! DO IT!!:D:D

Personally...I've messed up so many chances with women at this stage I'm quite surprised I havent gone mad yet!:(

Curse my failure to read signals when needed:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Nervous you HAVE to tell her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

You go straight up to her today and tell her straight out you lied and there is someone!!! HER! It will melt her... Go now...

+1, you have been given the green light in female terms, go for it, you'll regret it if you don't!

Haha, you guys! :o:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Tell her!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Seriously dude, Grow a pair and tell her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

You have to do it today so you can reasonably reference yesterday's conversation and you can say you were thinking about it since you had lunch.

C'mon, we're all living vicariously through your potential romantic situation, don't disappoint ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yay. Now this thread is just about us all getting Nervous Wreck to tell her...BUT TELL HER!

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Yay. Now this thread is just about us all getting Nervous Wreck to tell her...BUT TELL HER!

Agreed, can we get a mod in here to give out and get things back on topic please!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Agreed, can we get a mod in here to give out and get things back on topic please!?

*cough* Back on topic please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I once told a guy I was crazy about that he was like a big brother

mood killer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Ive done this heaps of times!! no need for a mate to cock block me, i could do it all by myself. I could never read the signals, a woman would have to practically jump on me before i got the message :rolleyes:

Thankfully im in a relationship now, god knows how that happened

Mackman wrote: »
    Ive done this heaps of times!! no need for a mate to cock block me, i could do it all by myself. I could never read the signals, a woman would have to practically jump on me before i got the message :rolleyes:

Thankfully im in a relationship now, god knows how that happened
    I get that, you are always the last to realize that a girl likes you when it has been obvious to the world and its dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

/kicks self.

Oh. My. God.

Even *I* wouldn't do that ! :pac:

Seriously man, ask her out !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭George Orwell 1982

Ever read the book The Remains of the Day? Where the guy never takes the opportunity to ask the women out because of some stupid class rule. Its so sad. If you like some tell them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Nervous Wreck, you seem like a sound guy, just ask her out.

It's better knowing.

• Advertisement

Guys, honestly I appreciate the advice n'all but really, I'm good! I feel like I'm dragging the thread off-topic though so let's move on.... Thanks though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I've literally shot myself in the foot. With a pellet gun :o

On topic: I'm always nearly entirely oblivious to when someone is taking an interest in me on nights out or wherever. I just chat to everyone and I'm very careful not to let on if I'm interested in someone for fear of rejection *sigh* Then when I look back on how they acted or what they said I always think I've missed out, but if you know them and they're genuinely interested then they'll come back. What's for you, won't pass you and all that.

Does make it all the more awesome when the other person just says it out straight to your face though - really is a surprise, and who doesn't like surprises!? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I do this kind of stuff all the time.

All the time.

When I was younger, I worked for the Summer in a certain large company.
    The woman supervising me was a lovely, gorgeous blonde girl, about nine or ten years older than me (I was about 16/17).

I had a massive crush on her, but being young and very, very shy, I said nothing, even though we kind of half-flirted over lunch a bit (was too young to have any idea what I was doing:p)

When it came time for me to leave, she presented me with a box of Roses and a card, while everyone said goodbye.

I shared out the Roses and left.

A few months back I was cleaning my room and dug out the card.

I won't give the full contents, but part of it said "Call me, XXXX".

Still kicking myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tommiejoie

I once told a guy I was crazy about that he was like a big brother

mood killer

Been on the receiving end. Definate mood killer, except she wasn't into me so FYI it's the perfect way to get rid of a guy and kick him in the nads while youre at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tommiejoie

I do this kind of stuff all the time.

A few months back I was cleaning my room and dug out the card.

I won't give the full contents, but part of it said "Call me, XXXX".

Still kicking myself.

Did you not open the card at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

tommiejoie wrote: »
    Did you not open the card at the time?

I did, but I was very shy around girls when I was younger.

It would never have occurred to me that a girl that pretty would like me...

It's only looking back when older that I realised what was on offer..:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've literally shot myself in the foot. With a pellet gun :o

On topic: I'm always nearly entirely oblivious to when someone is taking an interest in me on nights out or wherever. I just chat to everyone and I'm very careful not to let on if I'm interested in someone for fear of rejection *sigh* Then when I look back on how they acted or what they said I always think I've missed out, but if you know them and they're genuinely interested then they'll come back. What's for you, won't pass you and all that.

Does make it all the more awesome when the other person just says it out straight to your face though - really is a surprise, and who doesn't like surprises!? :)

I'm like you. I often tend to get shy around guys I like because I'm afraid of the rejection. So if I'm talking to someone and failing to make eye contact, it's because I'm afraid I'll start blushing and they'll know. But when I have a few drinks, I'm great at approaching guys - it depends on my mood how forward I'll be. Or if the ball's already rolling, I'm happy to be forward.

I nearly shot myself in the foot with my ex, but luckily he was persistent enough that it all worked out. Other than that, I can't really think of any other times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Faith wrote: »
    I'm like you. I often tend to get shy around guys I like because I'm afraid of the rejection. So if I'm talking to someone and failing to make eye contact, it's because I'm afraid I'll start blushing and they'll know. But when I have a few drinks, I'm great at approaching guys - it depends on my mood how forward I'll be. Or if the ball's already rolling, I'm happy to be forward

I was the same, was always very shy and then a friends brother drowned at the age of 21 and I just kinda thought "why think what if" and I was out a month later and saw a cute guy and we got chatting and before he went to a differenct night club I asked could I kiss him (I ended up going out with him for over 4 years)!!!

I no longer shoot myself in the foot, life is too short, just go for it :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

I told my male best friend that I saw him as "one of the girls". About a few weeks before we drunkenly got together, which has led to an amazing relationship. Apparently it completely crushed him and any hope he had of something happening with me. Looking back on it, I can see the pain in his face when I said it....don't know how I was so oblivious :o Wouldn't mind, but I had already began to fancy him a bit so don't know why I said it. Good thing alcohol reduces inhibitions, because he said he'd never have tried it on with me in normal circumstances after I said that!! Phew!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Absolutely. At the weekend was out with a guy friend who I have a total thing for, possibly reciprocated and possibly not. We were driving along and he was like "so, got anyone that you're interested in at the moment?". Just like Nervous Wreck I was just like "no, not really". Pretty much wanted to throw myself from the car and under the wheels after that. WHY do we do these things??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Guys, honestly I appreciate the advice n'all but really, I'm good! I feel like I'm dragging the thread off-topic though so let's move on.... Thanks though!

Yeah, come on guys, leave him alone. Cant you see he's a ........nervous wreck......:o

yeah, i did it, someone was going to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ive ruined so many things with girls just because i dont think theyd like im a clown like that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Did this last week. I'm terrible at reading signals. This guy came over to me while I was sitting at the bar in Whelans and my friend was gone to the bathroom. He was chatting to us for about 45mins and then I was in the middle of a story to them and we were walking out to the dancefloor and my friend kept muttering to me but I couldn't hear her. She pulled me aside and was like "Why are you walking with me".
    Then we were leaving (stupid work in the morning) and he just said "Bye", no exchange of numbers. I thought my friend would shoot me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 forest gunner

'Shoot yourself in the foot' World Champion signing in!

Ill save you the details of the numerous times Ive bottled it except for the biggest one of all....
    In college back in 2000, started to notice an absolutely GORGEOUS girl around the place but we werent in the same course.
    Eventually, and it wasnt the biggest college, she noticed me - probably from the slightly scary staring at her every time I passed her by. It got to the stage where I was convinced she liked me too and I had to go in for the kill - but OHHH NOOOO, good ole Forest hadnt the nuts to approach and even say 'Hi'.
    In fairness to the girl, she gave me ample opportunities over the 3 years (yes, 3 years) to just maybe, on just one of those occasions, to stop and strike a conversation on anything, anything at all. There was usually 'flirty' eye contact between us every time we passed in the hall.
    Let me give you some examples of how NOT to flirt with a girl:
    There were a couple times I was in the library and Id spot her in the distance. Shed spot me and shed drag her friend over to make a definite effort to sit right in front of me or on the same row as me, giving me the perfect opportunity to maybe ask for a pen or something.
    There was also one time we were using the computers in the college but there was a bit of a que. Anyway, I cant remember why but there was a bit of confusion over an available computer and we went for the same computer at the same time.
    Both of us got over generous and said 'you have it, no you have' etc. LOL.
    That was the only time we spoke to eachother. :o
    Christ, when I think back it just haunts me now. She probably got sick of waiting and wondering what a fool I was, but even to the end she gave me opportunities to just talk to her...
    At the end of it all, the Graduation, she gave me one last chance.
    We were getting fitted out for the gowns and everything and I was just chatting in a group of friends. I turned around and there she was by herself looking at me!! God, a final chance to just say Hi and true to form I bottled it again. You might say 'she was there waiting for you, noone else?' but there was no doubt she was waiting for me to turn around and talk to her as it was pretty much similar to the chances she gave me for the three years previously. In fact, I was just plain rude to her as much as anything else.I remember she brought a date the next night to the dinner and they seemed to be pretty close, as in maybe long term relationship close and I have to say a part of me was crushed seeing them have a good time,
    thinking maybe it could have been me.
    That was the last time I seen her (over 5 years ago) and to be honest, Im as insecure as ever and have limited success with girls.
    Im even cursing myself as I write this. Id actually put it to the back of my mind until I seen this thread tonight.
    THREE YEARS OF CONSTANT FAILURE is what it felt like.
    At the end of the day, the longer I left it, the harder it got with her, to the point where it was near impossible. So hard in fact that I just turned to a bowl of jelly when I seen her when all those insecurities rose to the surface.
    I hope I dont come across as delusional on this and that maybe I was imagining her attempts to talk to me, but with 3 years of constantly analysing the whole thing with her, I dont believe I was.
    Its crazy that I can remember these instances 5 years later but there you go!
    Hope shes happy now whatever shes doing. Id love to have maybe searched on Facebook for her to freak her out, but I dont even know her name lol.

Anyway, I guess the bottom line is: strike while the iron is hot and DONT think about it. There is so much to be said about not sweating the small stuff!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

I was in a hospital getting my blood checked and I was evaluated by this pretty pharmacist . When I walked I got nervous and went red and she was the same ,she couldn't really put two words together and she was blinking rapidly,That was fine ,the next week I ended up with her again ,this time she was done up to the nines she absolutely looked stunning it was a little easier and we were chatting etc. When I was leaving she gave me her pager number . I have found out since that pager numbers aren't given too patients. BTW that is only one of my many FU's .

note to NW: btw if any girl says I cant believe your single what she's really telling you is that youre a catch and she more than likely is into you.Its the highest compliment you can get from a woman really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but the term that my friends and I have settled on for a female cock blocker is a poon preventer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I've had an on and off thing with a girl for the passed 4 or 5 years at this stage, the girl is stunning and dead on, she's gone to germany for the summer, rang me up last week puring her heart out asking if we could make a proper go of it when she got back if I was single at that stage, I told her no and it was unfair of her to ask that as she knew I was in a relationship and that I couldn't talk to her as it was unfair on the girlfriend and it would be better for her aswell to get over me. Woke up this morning to a break up text. /Facepalm

Dx
    Don't you hate it when you mess things up for yourself?
    I don't know what the female equivalent of a cockblock is, but I just did it to myself. This South American guy from work kept asking me out, and I kept refusing him because I didn't want the whole drama of dating a guy from my workplace (it's a part-time job, I'm a student, so going out with him wouldn't have been professional suicide). Then he just up and quit a couple of weeks ago and disappeared, only to return today to pick up his final payslip. He had let his hair grow out and even had a bit of a beard... imagine a Guatemalan Zachary Quinto. With a smaller nose and a slightly shorter face.
    Yep, I'm kicking myself right now.

Discuss; moments like this

This isnt a personal attack but you epitomise whats wrong with some Irish women.A quote from a previous post of mine.

I have a portugese friend who is also a good looking bloke ,he also cannot understand Irish women ,he wanted to go out with an Irish woman but he could get nowhere . Now the mind really boggles because this guy has a physique to die for tanned ,and an extremely good job in FB .He's also very articulate ,a pure gentleman ,well read ,well travelled not at all sleazy. He's opted to see a french lady as she obvously doesn't need specsavers.

^^Well it's about more than just looks, isn't it? I didn't want to go out with him, break up and then have things awkward at work. It's happened to me before and it is NOT pleasant. Though I do admit that's because the previous guy took it very badly... glad I'm not working there any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I've had an on and off thing with a girl for the passed 4 or 5 years at this stage, the girl is stunning and dead on, she's gone to germany for the summer, rang me up last week puring her heart out asking if we could make a proper go of it when she got back if I was single at that stage, I told her no and it was unfair of her to ask that as she knew I was in a relationship and that I couldn't talk to her as it was unfair on the girlfriend and it would be better for her aswell to get over me. Woke up this morning to a break up text. /Facepalm

Ouch... I have to admit though, I still laughed !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

About 10 years ago I was living in one of the Youth Hostels in Galway while trying to find somewhere to live. I had one or two chances to meet nice vacationing ladies as a result.

Met this amazing girl while there and we got on really well I thought, she even showed me her geko tattoo which was in a "need to pull my trousers down a bit to show you this" place. So I figured we have a connection here, something might happen. We went for a meal one night and are wandering around Galway, y'know, one of those really tense prolonged nights when you're trying to decide and whether either of you are going to do something etc. So eventually I go in for a bit of a kiss and to my horror I'm completely blown off. Totally thrown by this I get a little angry wondering what the hell is going on here?

So, almost stomping back to hostel, we're still talking, get in the lift, get to her floor and she asks "Do you want to go into my room for awhile?" Smiling really, really nicely at me, looking gorgeous...

"No" says I still in mid tantrum and storm back to the room I was sharing with 8 drunken Germans.

Moron

something etc. So eventually I go in for a bit of a kiss and to my horror I'm completely blown off. Totally thrown by this I get a little angry wondering what the hell is going on here?

So, almost stomping back to hostel, we're still talking, get in the lift, get to her floor and she asks "Do you want to go into my room for awhile?" Smiling really, really nicely at me, looking gorgeous...

"No" says I still in mid tantrum and storm back to the room I was sharing with 8 drunken Germans.

Moron

You probably know now, that timing is everything and no doesn't always mean no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Was in fibbers last night and at the bar. Saw a gorgeous girl, was gonna go up and ask her out or for her number or something (I would have figured that out when I did it), and I bottled it. Freaked! I was talking to her for about a minute and she seemed real nice. Ah well. Not really anything like the stories here, but it'll do.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Fago! wrote: »
    Was in fibbers last night and at the bar. Saw a gorgeous girl, was gonna go up and ask her out or for her number or something (I would have figured that out when I did it), and I bottled it. Freaked! I was talking to her for about a minute and she seemed real nice. Ah well. Not really anything like the stories here, but it'll do.

/smacks Fago in the head

Seriously boy, WHAT are we going with you?

/writes "pair of balls" against Fago's name on Christmas list :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

maple wrote: »
    /smacks Fago in the head

Seriously boy, WHAT are we going with you?

/writes "pair of balls" against Fago's name on Christmas list :p

Ok, I need to have you in my life to kick some courage into me.

And after the whole debacle with me before, ya'd think I'd have grown a pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HereNorThere

Last month, due to health issues, I asked for a slight decrease in my work schedule so I could take it a bit easier. I got it. Well, this month I got a pay raise! I SOOOO could have used that extra money right now. Now I'm making the same amount of money I did last month, despite the raise in pay.

Forget foot. I shot myself in the head point-blank. :mad:

Last month, due to health issues, I asked for a slight decrease in my work schedule so I could take it a bit easier. I got it. Well, this month I got a pay raise! I SOOOO could have used that extra money right now. Now I'm making the same amount of money I did last month, despite the raise in pay.

Forget foot. I shot myself in the head point-blank. :mad:
    Your boss rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HereNorThere

When he wants to. When he's not, he's just throwing rocks at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

I'm up there with the best of ye.....I'm totally oblivious when a girl is trying to get my attention, hell even when they spell it out to me I still don't get it...! Had a gorgeous girl come up to me at the bar and ask "did it hurt when you fell from heaven?" etc.........still didn't cop on! Realised after I sat back down with my friends, turned around and she was gone :mad: If a girl compliments me I usually laugh, say cheers and go on my merry way! :cool: Hence the reason why I'm going to die alone!

Advertisement