Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New rangefinder and a new type of film :)

• 18-07-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭

Bought a vivitar 35ES online a few months ago of 60 euros. Its basically a copy of the Konica S3, mainly sold in the US. Took it on holidays in connemara there a few weeks ago with a new type of film for me - black and white.

4805000217_b6a03565be.jpg

4805000207_b6451bc815.jpg

I used HP5 400 for the first time - an interesting experience. They turned out more grainier then I expected. Got them developed and scanned in camera exchange, though would have got them done in Gunns but they were on holidays :)

The N59 near Letterfrack took during a cycle.

4805588718_76b2b6fca3.jpg

Omey Island on the same cycle :)

4805588708_c7afdce92d.jpg

Asleagh Falls

4805588704_c1aeaa844f.jpg

North of Lettergesh

4805588700_9318b67390.jpg

To me it seems a decent little rangefinder - far more compact then any slr. Now Im not too sure whether the meter is entirely accurate but I'm happy.

Any opinions on the above photos would be nice :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Ooooh liking the results! Only point of "critique" I think of is that the contrast could be pushed a bit more and bring out the blacks, but that's how I like B&W. Lovely images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

sNarah wrote: »
    Ooooh liking the results! Only point of "critique" I think of is that the contrast could be pushed a bit more and bring out the blacks, but that's how I like B&W. Lovely images.

Thanks sNarah :)

Didn't do too much pp except on the first shot where I decreased the brightness slider a little bit. Might have another go editing them tomorrow.

Edit: The full set is on my Flickr
    > here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

From the thread title, I thought there was some product launch I'd not heard of, and there was going to be a brand spanking new rangefinder and a new film format for us to all give out over. Disappointed :(

But, back on topic, yes, excellent! I think every photographer should have a cheap rangefinder they can stuff in their pocket when they don't want to drag around a full kit.

I really like this one too; http://www.flickr.com/photos/52047412@N03/4796346456/ - Even with the finger in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Couple of comments on your results:

You have a great little camera. The metering seems fine to me, standard for these centre weighted rangefinders.

The lack of contrast evident is probably due to the following. (Here start the assumptions in order of probability)

1: you didn’t have a colour filter. You should nearly as a rule of thumb have a medium yellow filter for Irish weather. This would give more separation in the clouds and better contrast overall.

2: Development in Rodinal, I suspect most places these days are using one shot long life developers for simple economics as there is not enough turnover for developers that age poorly or need replenishment and the time involved in same. HP5+ in my opinion doesn’t like Rodinal and gets too much grain. XTOL or Ilfosol give better results (this is subjective and eventually these preferences become fixed and part of your style)

A few other things I have noticed about HP5+. Regardless of developer, it scans very grainy anyway. When actually printing in darkroom, this does not materialise until very large sizes. So if you take these to darkroom, expect less grain unless you are printing very large.

Also, if this is like other rangefinders from this era, it should have exposure lock. I.e. when doing landscapes etc. you should be able to meter from somewhere in the foreground, like rocks. To get the shadow detail and let the highlights of skies come out where they may. This is done usually by pressing the shutter release half way to hold meter reading while you recompose your shot. What prompted this is your flickr page has waves crashing on rocks, where sky was not a major part of shot and waves are nice whites and rocks rich black.. So it seems the meter is fine.

Overall these cameras are fantastic pocket cameras and so fast to use or you can carry them in your hand and almost forget they are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Fajitas! wrote: »

I really like this one too; http://www.flickr.com/photos/52047412@N03/4796346456/ - Even with the finger in :)

It was a big rock that i was using as support when I was caught short without my tripod. Even with the framing lines its a little bit more difficult to make sure stuff is outside the frame compared to a slr :)
    Simplicius wrote:

1: you didn’t have a colour filter. You should nearly as a rule of thumb have a medium yellow filter for Irish weather. This would give more separation in the clouds and better contrast overall.

Your dead right, I didn't use a colour filter at all. Must pick one up online

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

landyman wrote: »
    Your dead right, I didn't use a colour filter at all. Must pick one up online

Stay away from the cheap filters like Jessops or china specials .. you might as well take a yellow highlighter to a milk bottle and stick that in front of your lens. If you are a nikon or canon user you will have a generic filter size. Nikon's 52mm is a catch all size for most prime lens, I think Canon is 55mm. I simply use step up rings which you can get for a song on evil bay from china. I've all varieties now from 30mm upwards all stepping up to 52 and they work like a charm. Hoya are a good middle quality brand. Also means you can use your existing UV and polarisers for colour film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Lovely shots!

Give Fuji Neopan 400 a try, I think you will like the results.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

neopan can come out very contrasty from development in rodinal too, btw.

Advertisement