Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner Photography Course suggestions

• 18-07-2010 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

the girlfriend is looking to start a Photography Course, shes no knowlege of cameras what so ever so is looking for one that would teach you the ins and outs of a camera, shutters, how to pull focus for those nice 'deph of field' photos, all that kind of stuff. The technical stuff.

Also any suggestions of a type of camera she would need for something like this would be great also! Bare in mind she is an absolute novice so nothing highend would really be needed. Just something that could get some decent shots and has the necessary bells and whistles.
    Digital would be the best as shes not looking to get into the developing side of things.

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

You could try the Institute of Photography for short or longer term directed courses.

They are actually running a free "Dusk Shooting" session next Saturday
    http://www.instituteofphotography.ie/freesessions/

Also, Peter Cox comes highly recommended for training / workshops on landscape photography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I found the beginners class at Dublin Camera Club very good, really explains the basics. But there are two sessions about film development and printing. Found them interesting anyway as anything you do digital is basically the same what you can do with film.

You don't need a camera for that course. So she can even decide during or after the course, what kind of camera she wants/needs. Only at the end there's an outing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    You could try the Institute of Photography for short or longer term directed courses.

+1, i did this one a few months ago and found it very good. picked it on the recommendation of others on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buckz

Don't start by spending- go to the library and get two or more books on Photography - I'd suggest something by Michael Freeman and something by Lee Frost or a Dummies guide. keep an eye on Magazine stands too- my beginners guide was a small booklet that came free with Photo Answers- I learnt everything you listed and lots more besides from Photo Answers and Practical Photography. I've had pictures published in some of the camera magazines I learnt from.Above all when you do buy a camera Read the ****Manual. then use it for a while- then read the manual again. repeat until the manual tells you nothing new. some courses spend longer showing you which button to push on 43 different cameras than they spend showing you new and better ways to use your camera. Shoot plenty and be a ruthless critic of your own pictures- learn learn learn.and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Steve Reddin

xia wrote: »
    I found the beginners class at Dublin Camera Club very good, really explains the basics. But there are two sessions about film development and printing. Found them interesting anyway as anything you do digital is basically the same what you can do with film.

You don't need a camera for that course. So she can even decide during or after the course, what kind of camera she wants/needs. Only at the end there's an outing.

I'd have to go with this suggestion, have a look at a camera club and wander along to see what they're up to, they are always very open to new photographers, whether experienced or not and generally have a professional or two there as well. As well as being around a load of other photographers, it's usually a cheaper option to a course.

On the camera front, I'd recommend a Canon (not over Nikon or anything, I just happen to use Canon myself) such as as 350D to start with, you can get them relatively cheaply second hand and they have all the usual stuff you need to start learning.

And....total blatant self promotion here :D...have a look at my blog...www.captureit.ie/blog...there are some lessons on basic camera operation there and I'll be sticking up more shortly.

Steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

AnCatDubh wrote: »

They are actually running a free "Dusk Shooting" session next Saturday
    http://www.instituteofphotography.ie/freesessions/

Also, Peter Cox comes highly recommended for training / workshops on landscape photography.

I too have been interested in a short Photography Course so had a look at the institute's one.

175Euro for a 1 day course is, IMO , a total rip off.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

For anyone down Meath direction, Navan Camera Club runs a beginners digital course starting early September. It's run over 6 or 8 weeks, one night a week (Tuesday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gollywogsuper

Hey, not sure if this is Spam but ...
    I just started up D1Studio in Parnell Sq in town, and offering half price courses in beginner, intermediate and advanced until Aug 31st. 6 wk course, 2.5hrs per week for €125! First one almost done and everyone happy. Next one Aug 10th. Drop me an email if you're interested.

Again, sorry for spam if it bends the rule, but we're new and need business, and Dublin needs more good photography courses :) Don't be mad!

Garvan

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

scudzilla wrote: »
    I too have been interested in a short Photography Course so had a look at the institute's one.

175Euro for a 1 day course is, IMO , a total rip off.

I did the half-day wedding course with the institute and thought i was going to get ripped off as it was around that price but I have to say the Guy is excellent, really excellent at what he does and as hard as it is to admit - he is worth the money. We even had a Bride & Groom (professional Models), wedding Car, Driver, Father of the Bride, Flower Girl and the church to ourselves.I just went cos a friend wanted to go but I learned loads but this course is not for total beginners.
    I'm not a friend of the institute leaving fake info.
    By the way - my Friend did his first wedding last weekend.
    You get what you pay for there.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭YeGods

Hey, not sure if this is Spam but ...
    I just started up D1Studio in Parnell Sq in town, and offering half price courses in beginner, intermediate and advanced until Aug 31st. 6 wk course, 2.5hrs per week for €125! First one almost done and everyone happy. Next one Aug 10th. Drop me an email if you're interested.

Again, sorry for spam if it bends the rule, but we're new and need business, and Dublin needs more good photography courses :) Don't be mad!

Garvan
    Best of Luck Gollywogsuper - The institute is good but he need comptition, he can't be the only good one around. I hope your business is a success -i mean that. I live in county cork - not much down here that i know of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gollywogsuper

It takes a while to get off the ground, but we're good and we'll get there. I started photography in night-classes so I know exactly what's good and what's practical for beginners to learn.

Appreciate your words YeGods. Thanks
    Garvan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Thinking of joining the photoghraphy club in UCD as a complete novice-does anyone know what they're like for beginners???? Thought I may as well post here rather than start a new one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭PMC83

Thanks guys for the replys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vinsuala

Hey,
    I did a 4 week digital beginners photgraphy course at the gallery of photography in meeting house square and it was great! In just the first class I went from knowing nothing and always shooting in automatic to switching to manual, understanding ISO, shutter speed, aperture and depth of field as well as metering through the lense. They cover loads in the 4 weeks aswell as teaching the basics of photoshop. It's a bit expensive at 210euro I think it was but for me it was totally worth it, I just wished it lasted longer. As for camera, my tutor said to always buy a second hand body and spend your money on good lenses. Canon seems to be the stock-standard and easiest for most teachers to teach you on as it's the most common.

Advertisement