Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU Stability Test

Options
  • 18-07-2010 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I lent a friend of mine a HD4670, i installed it for him at home, and it was working fine. Couple of days later (after he had brought his PC to limerick) he turned on the computer and there was nothing on the display. I told him to take it out and put it back in, but he said it didn't work so he put his old one back in.

That was grand, i thought i would have to RMA it, but low and behold today, after picking it back up off him i get home and it works!

So i was wondering if there was any GPU stability test i could run, i started to run furmark, but this is a passively cooled card, and the temps after about 5 minutes were heading for 100 degree, and looked like they would go higher.

Is this still the way to test for a passively cooled card? If so, what sort of temperatures are ok?

If not, is there any other tests i could run instead? I'm looking to sell the card so would prefer if i could confirm if it was working (which would be great) or if not, could i RMA it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Anybody?

Should i just leave furmark running and if it borks it send it back?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Wouldn't Furmark a passive cooled card TBH, thats just asking for kaboom. :D

Can't run a test on a loop with the trial version of 3dMark AFAIK unfortunately so, I would download something like the Uniengine heaven benchmark and let it loop for a few hours, if it stays running after that I would say the card is fine TBH, not too much reason to suspect there is anything wrong with the card it as is TBH.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah i don't know what happened with my friend, he said he took it out and reseated but still no signal!

Regardless, it work straight away for me, i'll do as you suggested, will add it to my advert if it passes. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Tried 3dmark06? You could loop some of the tests

I have the unigene running for the last half an hour and temps are just touching 100 degrees. Its in a dell so there is only the CPU fan and one exhaust. What would be acceptable temperature wise for a passive card?

• Advertisement

Right, throwing this up on adverts now as it ran for 2.5 hours with no problems!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Yeah a case with good airflow is very important with a passive card, as it it the only way to dissapate the GPU heat so I wouldn't worry too much about the 100 degree temp, plus as the benchmark is almost certainly a more intensive workout than it will ever get with most games out there.

I'd say you'd have had to pour the card out of the case if you ran Furmark for 2.5 hours :D

marco_polo wrote: »

I'd say you'd have had to pour the card out of the case if you ran Furmark for 2.5 hours :D

:eek:

Yeah, when the line showed no signs leveling of after hitting 97 degrees i thought i better quite furmark!

I'm happy enough with it now anyways, another thing to ad to the list of things to sell.

Cheers for the help everybody

Advertisement