Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paella Rice

Options
  • 18-07-2010 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I want to make paella
    I dont want to use arborio
    Where can i get arroz bomba in dublin or online?
    I hear theres a place on abbey street for the spaniards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

I want to make paella
    I dont want to use arborio
    Where can i get arroz bomba in dublin or online?
    I hear theres a place on abbey street for the spaniards?

I make my Paella with normal long grain rice and its ace! €1.20 a box in Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

The Tapas Lunch Company delivers to Ireland, but it's expensive.

Here's what you're looking for: http://www.thetapaslunchcompany.co.uk/spanish-food/paella-rice-lentils-beans/bomba_paella_rice-_valencia_denominacion_origen-_1_kg_fabric_sack

EDIT: The delivery prices are crazy. I'm sure someone can help you locate a shop that sells it in Dublin.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

As far as I know, the Spanish place on Abbey Street was in the Epicurean Food Hall. Can't hurt to take a look. I haven't been there in absolutely ages, but I hear it's closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

been cooking paella loads at home and found that when times are hard that pearl rice works very well also. very easy to find in any large supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

can anybody recommend a good paella recipe?

• Advertisement

can anybody recommend a good paella recipe?

you'll get loads of people with different ideas on what makes a good paella. i usually make one to use up any leftovers of meat/veg.

my basic recipe is this.
    1. in the pan with some garlic (i love the stuff and throw in a full bulb each time) and chopped onions.
    2. then i throw in some spicy chorizo
    3. once that's getting going i then add the rice and stir it so that all the rice is coated with the oils in the pan.
    4. then i add any meat/fish that's going in.
    5. at this point if i'm adding any extra veg like peas, chopped carrot, peppers, etc. i throw them in now.
    6. i crush the saffron and add it to the stock to be put in the pan. for the stock i just use a knorr cube (or two depending on how many i'm cooking for)
    7. then it's just a case of letting it simmer away until the rice is cooked.

while it's cooking i normally go back to make sure it hasn't dried up and sometimes just top up with more stock/water.

usually takes about 20 min to cook.

just before serving i chop up some tomatoes and add them then. some people put them in at the beginning.

re-reading this, it's more a cooking guide i have given than recipe as i haven't really stated any quantities, with the exception of garlic! might be of some use though.

can you get saffron in tesco or do you have to go to an asian store? and can I put the seafood like prawns and squid in at the last minute? im thinking they might go all tough if i put them in too early??

can you get saffron in tesco or do you have to go to an asian store? and can I put the seafood like prawns and squid in at the last minute? im thinking they might go all tough if i put them in too early??

tescos do stock saffron although sometimes it can be off the shelf for a few days. they have their own brand which is a lot cheaper than the schwartz by a long way. if you can't get it in tescos then some health food shops also sell it.

i must ask at my local asian shop if they can get saffron, the prices for spices/rice are normally a fraction of the cost as sold in the supermarkets. well worth an ask.

and yes, you can throw the seafood on near the end no problem. i was referring to chunks of fish and not to shellfish in my original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Millypenny

Tesco sell Paella Rice - it's usually found in the same section as the risotto rice.

They usually have saffron too but it's very expensive for the tiny amount you'll get. I usually buy saffron from an ethnic store as you get a lot more for your money. I got saffron a few weeks ago from a Turkish shop in Ennis who sell saffron in tiny metal tins, so there might be a shop like that near you.

thank u all !! going to try make one this weekend.. fingers crossed !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

One neat trick is to get a pack of muscles with the sauce, like the white wine or garlic etc and you have muscles to garnish the top and add the sauce in. Lovely stuff, especially the garlic ones.

Also some Spanish paprika (smoky) is pretty a tasty addition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭niall_belfast

Here's our tried and tested recipe for Prawn and Chorizo paella:
    http://www.chilliandchocolate.com/recipe-prawn-and-chorizo-paella/

It's made using bahia rice - Sainsburys stock it and sell it as "Spanish Paella Rice".

Hope this helps!

Advertisement