Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Piranhas

• 18-07-2010 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

i am in the market for some new fish and i was wondering what the deal is with Piranhas, are they legal?
    wer do you get them? (ive never seen them in a pet shop)

are they easy to keep?
    are they cheap to keep?

i would appreciate answers to any of the above questions :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

After watching some vids on Youtube these are scary bloody fish lol.
    There was a place in Waterford city had them for sale about 3 yrs ago but he's closed now, not too sure where you;d source them now tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes they're legal.

Yes they're available.

They're also very boring to keep, although the Red Breasted is nicer IMO.

You can keep them on a veggie diet, but I'd prefer to give them small bits of meat or even cheap fish, whiting etc.

They're not very sociable so you won't be keeping one in a community tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 the big cheese 01

thanks for the info guys!:D

any ideas wat kinda prices they are?

wat makes them boring???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

wat makes them boring???

Well for me at least, they're not particularly colourful or sociable. They'll tear up and eat any plants you put in, and whatever cover you provide they'll use it as they're pretty shy too.

As a curiosity thing they work I guess, they can devour dead things :pac:

If you want interesting I'd suggest a Malawi cichlid tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Rojo25

Know a chap big into his exotic fish, has afew piranha, they cant be kept in tanks with other fish or even plants. He has to keep 3 in one tank and 4 in another as if they were all together they would feel crowded attack each other, and from time to time they do.
    You have feed them constantly cause of their massive appetite, if underfed they will eat each other.
    Alot of work for a fish, and be honest they verly ugly uninspiring creatures, sit motionless in the tank until you throw food in, throwing a dead mouse can be great craic, they go bananas. I think they are considered pests in the countries they occur in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 the big cheese 01

thanks for the help guys

i dont think ill get them anymore, they seem pretty cool in theory but after hearing all tht they sound like too much work,

wat about sharks?? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭AutumnComission

thanks for the help guys

i dont think ill get them anymore, they seem pretty cool in theory but after hearing all tht they sound like too much work,

wat about sharks?? :p

LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 clairebearxxx

newlands garden centre just out from clondalkin village stock them.
    they can be hard to keep and you would really want to be sure you want them before you get them. also it is recommended that you keep more then 1 but not 2 or 3. as 2 they will fight each other, 3 means 2 usually gang up on 1. i know this sounds weird but its speaking from experience. so 5 together is a good number. they people who work in newlands do know alot so be woth going up and having a chat with them. hope this helps.

Advertisement