Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

aug intake......

• 19-07-2010 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

so its merely weeks away, has everyone got all their shopping lists etc?? im as excited as a pig in muck. After trying just about every year since the PSNI began finally it all comes to fruition....and the hard work really begins lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

I haven't bought anything yet but I've dug out all my required documents

I've been going to the gym every day for the past 2 weeks to try and get fit and just doing a lot of running. No way I will be able to run 3 miles without stopping. I'm nearly dying after 1.5 miles and at a push I can do 2 miles but have to stop there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Adolphus

Have almost everything now that PSNI has supplied in his list. Purchased brand spanking new iron yesterday! The main thing I am concerned over is the national insurance number. I called them a few weeks back, as people from outside UK are instructed to do in the letter, but they said I had to wait until I started to have an interview, most annoying as it will probably involve taking time of training for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Couple of the fellas from the south had to go get their NI numbers, but it only took a few hours off - the trainers are pretty sweet about it.

I wouldn't bother bringing an iron unless its a really amazing one, there are literally about a million irons/ironing boards in the accommodation block. Two things that I WOULD recommend bringing are a good quality ironing cloth (preferably one of the ones you can see through) and the jewellers cloth, both are literally worth their weight in gold when you're getting your kit ready for parade.

If anyone has any questions/worries about their SID or w/e ,feel free to shoot me a PM, I'm in week 16 at the moment, so am reasonably well qualified to answer most questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Adolphus

Thanks for the info Cashflow. It is a pretty great iron, with flashing lights sounds effects, and even a voice activation mode!.............well almost....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BelfastJarhead

Cant wait! I havent bought anything on the list yet but have all paperwork together and have started a training program. It has been too long since I have been running, it hurts :). Going out for another run shortly. Circuit training 6 days a week and running 4 days. I am hoping it is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jonnym61

Still havent got everything on PSNI's list but have started! Not sure what to do about an iron now, was gonna get one of those big fancy steam generating ones but not sure if its worth it!

Been down the gym a lot but as still getting over an ankle injury from a few weeks back havent been able to run for a while, am trying to keep fitness up with bike and swimming 6 times a week, fingers crossed i can get out on the road soon tho!!

jonnym61 wrote: »
    Still havent got everything on PSNI's list but have started! Not sure what to do about an iron now, was gonna get one of those big fancy steam generating ones but not sure if its worth it!

Been down the gym a lot but as still getting over an ankle injury from a few weeks back havent been able to run for a while, am trying to keep fitness up with bike and swimming 6 times a week, fingers crossed i can get out on the road soon tho!!

Jarhead / Jonny,

Doing fitness work 6 days a week should be more than enough. The letter says as general advice you should be able to run 3 miles without stopping so at that rate you'll do it in your sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BelfastJarhead

Jarhead / Jonny,

Doing fitness work 6 days a week should be more than enough. The letter says as general advice you should be able to run 3 miles without stopping so at that rate you'll do it in your sleep

Hi Vince,

I hope so but still the running is kicking my ass. Never was a fan!

Hi Vince,

I hope so but still the running is kicking my ass. Never was a fan!

haha yea im the same mate, was up to doing 5k a few times a week on treadmill before got hurt but struggled on the road, not looking forward to getting back out but it will be worth the hard work!!

haha yea im the same mate, was up to doing 5k a few times a week on treadmill before got hurt but struggled on the road, not looking forward to getting back out but it will be worth the hard work!!

Nice. How long was it taking to do 5k roughly?

• Advertisement

Nice. How long was it taking to do 5k roughly?

was doing it on treadmill set at 11kph in about 28 mins or so!

was doing it on treadmill set at 11kph in about 28 mins or so!

Nice! I'm running on a treadmill at 6mph but giving up after 2 miles due to fatigue. Hoping to slowly build and add the extra half mile per week for a fortnight

The 3 miles thing is a load. You'll do a 5k run twice during your tenure at g/ville, and the idea is to get within 35 minutes. There is no penalty if you don't, as long as you put the effort in and don't just walk it you'll be fine.

For those of you on treadmills, don't - you need to actually go out running. Invest in a decent pair of running shoes (they WILL cost you anything between 50 and 100 notes, but are essential) and hit the pavement, its a much much better workout than just plodding along on a tread. If doing it on a tread is your only option, then just make sure you have the incline set to at least 1%, preferably more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NO 3 BAD

Been a reader for quite a while and not a writer but as you can see i am on nightshift and cant stand it any more...Want to leave now and do the job i have been longing for for years:).

Anywho gents i reakon we shall all be running together at the back as i am only getting used to the 3 mile run and doing it in 28 mins but really really dying after it, dont think i could do it more than twice in 21 weeks anyway.

See you soon and then the fun will really start.:cool:

Cashflow wrote: »
    The 3 miles thing is a load. You'll do a 5k run twice during your tenure at g/ville, and the idea is to get within 35 minutes. There is no penalty if you don't, as long as you put the effort in and don't just walk it you'll be fine.

For those of you on treadmills, don't - you need to actually go out running. Invest in a decent pair of running shoes (they WILL cost you anything between 50 and 100 notes, but are essential) and hit the pavement, its a much much better workout than just plodding along on a tread. If doing it on a tread is your only option, then just make sure you have the incline set to at least 1%, preferably more.

Try to get out and run a bit but where i live is very very hilly, and i know the route isnt likley to be flat but where i live is rediculous which is why i normally stick to treadmill but always run at at least a 1% incline!

I think I'll stick to 0% incline until I can physically run the 3 miles and then start to increase the incline. Right now I can't complete 3 miles on 0% but it's good advice so will incorporate that as soon as I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TJHooker1

Im a first timer to this but due to go in august and can`t wait tho starting to get a bit nervous. training going ok shopping list not even half done yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Cat28

Hi guys, havent been on here in a while...im coming to the end of my student officer training (fingers crossed!!!)...and I have loved it! The training is great and I have had great craic! Im sure yous are all bricking it starting...and it is daunting to start with, but yous will soon settle in and hopefully enjoy it! The shopping list already on here is great..can't really think of anything else to add, thats the list I worked from.

So guys...its not that scary honestly lol, yous will all hopefully have a blast...see you all soon!!!! icon7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

Well folks,

Just starting my shopping list. Is everyone bringing a duvet or a sleeping bag with them? i was leaning towards the sleeping bag so I can roll it up and get it out of the way during room inspections. Was also looking out for the commando socks that PSNI recommended, anyone found any good stockists either in Belfast or online?

PSNI/Cashflow - Does Garnerville have wifi access? Are there many people who bring a laptop?

Getting the hair cut this weekend, don't know what I'm going to look like with short hair! lol

jclegs wrote: »
    Well folks,

Just starting my shopping list. Is everyone bringing a duvet or a sleeping bag with them? i was leaning towards the sleeping bag so I can roll it up and get it out of the way during room inspections. Was also looking out for the commando socks that PSNI recommended, anyone found any good stockists either in Belfast or online?

PSNI/Cashflow - Does Garnerville have wifi access? Are there many people who bring a laptop?

Getting the hair cut this weekend, don't know what I'm going to look like with short hair! lol

I brought neither, just my own pillow. The socks you can get in smithfield, in the army surplus store. There IS wifi access, but like so much in G/Ville its very temperamental. There was a few people who brought laptops, mainly those who lived in beyond the first four weeks. Far as I know there is no real rule on em.

• Advertisement

I brought neither, just my own pillow. The socks you can get in smithfield, in the army surplus store. There IS wifi access, but like so much in G/Ville its very temperamental. There was a few people who brought laptops, mainly those who lived in beyond the first four weeks. Far as I know there is no real rule on em.

Cheers, I'll take a look in the army surplus store. Think I'll bring my laptop and a 3G dongle just in case but I'll probably not have much time to use it.

Edit: Anyone know what squad colour we will be?

Green more than likely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hey Cashflow... the nerves must be kicking it at this stage?

You're next, are you not?

Aye, not long to go now. Looking forward to getting out there and just doing it to be honest, mixed with a fair bit of "oh God I'm going to totally balls up my first arrest".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Don't forget to throw in a little "Whaddya mean we get another PDP?" and you'll be doing just fine...

Yeah had a talk about the PIP thing we have to do, load of balls :( As if your probation isn't stressful enough.

LOL!

How many times have I heard "loada ballix" around the station when that comes up!

Well it IS :( Only good thing about it is that its linked to your TI, I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

Well it IS :( Only good thing about it is that its linked to your TI, I think anyway.

Count yourself lucky!! You'll have none of those sh1ty non-pip task sheets to do thanks to the recent changes. All that time wasted doing them just for them to be scrapped! Could be worse, there used to be a few hundred of them to be done so I can't complain.

Had my first of these new supervisor interviews the other day there and it definately gets my thumbs up instead of doing pointless non-pip sheets.

As for your TI, im not 100% sure but my understanding has always been that once you finish your probabtion thats that PDP folder done away with. If you go for TI you get a brand new one.

Talk about taking a thread off-topic!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭gazzabelfast

So induction day was alot of fun.

I have a query hopefully someone whos gone through it all before can answer and its on that old favourite, definitions.

The Sgt. said we'd to learn the 1st 5 definitions; does he mean the 1st section that has 5 pages to it and is tested early, but i can only identify 4 actual definitions in this section? Are we meant to learn the rest of that section verbatim?

I have a query hopefully someone whos gone through it all before can answer and its on that old favourite, definitions.

The Sgt. said we'd to learn the 1st 5 definitions; does he mean the 1st section that has 5 pages to it and is tested early, but i can only identify 4 actual definitions in this section? Are we meant to learn the rest of that section verbatim?

Have to admit i was a little confused on that one myself, starting on them tonight, gonna be fun :-)

The first 5 definitions are the PCR ones, courtesy first and critical incident last, assuming the order is the same (it should be).

And yes, learn the definitions verbatim. Especially GOWISELY and Art 3 Caution.

I'm checking this out for you, and I hope to have an answer either tomorrow or over the weekend.

Do we not have to learn all the PCR and CJS definitions that are tested in week 5? They said to learn as many as possible over and on top of these as well as if will make life easier for us.

After induction, I can't wait to start! There was a good mix of people there, everyone seems really friendly in GV.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

What cracks me up is, if what I've heard is true, people not turning up and people deciding after a security brief that they no longwer want the job.

Why is the selection process not capable of weeding these people out before they waste a space?

• Advertisement

wanadrum wrote: »
    What cracks me up is, if what I've heard is true, people not turning up and people deciding after a security brief that they no longwer want the job.

Why is the selection process not capable of weeding these people out before they waste a space?

It is true about a couple of people not turning up for induction but I'm not sure about the security brief one. I'm sure I'll find out on my first day.

They do try to scare you a bit with talks on security and all the things that are expected of you, not just at GV but also throughout your career. I suppose it's better for them to leave now, rather than putting the organisation through the expense of going through a couple of weeks and then dropping out.

As I say, I'm only going on what one trainee told me.

Seriously though - do you really have to get to the induction night before you realise the threat? Or what is going to be expected of them?

Yes, better to get rid of them now, but really, they have already cost the organistaion a bit of expense, and most importantly wasted a space which some other people would 'give their right arm for'.

Can they replace the drop outs at this stage?

Can they replace the drop outs at this stage?
    Nope. If you didn't attend SID, you're not in this intake (unless you've been back-squadded).

I agree that people need to think long and hard about joining. There are people who join and leave on the first day, and that space can not be given to another person, so it's just a wasted space that most people reading this would have been more than happy to take. If you back out now, you've just wasted tens of thousands of tax-payers money. It increases if you leave on Day 1 or thereafter.

One very good reason to introduce an interview to the selection process - find out if people really want the job, and what their expectations are.

I have heard so many stories re people not turning up, dropping out, getting kicked out and completing training and then leaving - it makes my blood boil!

Perhaps they sould create some process in order to the fill spaces of those who don't turn up for the induction.

Also - why don't people let them know in advance if they don't intend to turn up? i really can't comprehend why someone goes through the whole process, knowing how much competition there is, accepts a start date etc. only to fail to turn up.

I understand if someone is nervous about starting - that is natural.

What would you all think of a mandatory payment system introduced for wasting police time for this, similar to army training?

The amount of money it takes to recruit one person is enormous, so if someone changes their mind on Day 1, should they have to pay the costs of their uniform (which gets incinerated when they leave), and refund the taxpayer for wasting the money spent on recruiting them?

It certainly would weed out those who could potentially fake interest at an interview!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Ace idea ! Way to go ! I get so p1ssed off when I hear about this nonsense of no-shows and drop outs - I've heard one big reason given is the shift working , yeah like crims only work 9-5 :mad:

I would most definitely be in favour of such a system PSNI - though I can't see it ever happening.
    Fitness should also be a prerequisite as one in theory should take the personal responsibility to keep fit before, during and after GV. (Having said that there are a lot of officers in terrible shape - I see them regularly around Belfast, normally at fast food outlets).

How much does it cost just to get 1 recruit to the gate of GV? Something like £12.3M/440=£28k

I reckon the fine should be £1200 for failing to turn up. (£12.3M/10000 applicants)
    Also dropping out or being kicked due to basic failures in fitness etc should incur a fine so as to stop someone getting around the failure to turn up fine.

I heard about a recruit who failed GV on fitness, reapplied got in again and failed again on fitness - no excuse for that at all. Wasted 2 spaces and an absolute fortune!

I heard about a recruit who failed GV on fitness, reapplied got in again and failed again on fitness - no excuse for that at all. Wasted 2 spaces and an absolute fortune!

Please , pretty please in fact - tell me that's not true .

I cannot say one way or the other that it is true as a matter of fact - but the person who told me is a current officer, is very trustworthy and would have no reason to have made it up, therefore I believe it to be true.

Absolutely sickening!

This is true. The guy was an absolute waste from what I hear.

psni wrote: »
    This is true. The guy was an absolute waste from what I hear.

Shocking....just shocking........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

You have to blame the system more than the person due to the way it is set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

The application process is set up for a certain reason which I will not go into but begs the question...how many people who get in, are not suited to the job due to their true intentions/aspirations/intelligence/job awareness/fitness/etc,etc.
    Sigh

Hey all, has anyone had a phone call from external appointments re Car insurance??

Hey all, has anyone had a phone call from external appointments re Car insurance??

Nope, I've heard nothing from them. Do we have to bring a car insurance certificate to GV?

• Advertisement
Advertisement