Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

aug intake......

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭jonnym61

jclegs wrote: »
    Nope, I've heard nothing from them. Do we have to bring a car insurance certificate to GV?

Not sure, gonna put it in the car to be on the safe side! Maybe im being paranoid but im just worried now that the call might not have been from PSNI at all, will feel better when somone else gets it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

jonnym61 wrote: »
    Not sure, gonna put it in the car to be on the safe side! Maybe im being paranoid but im just worried now that the call might not have been from PSNI at all, will feel better when somone else gets it lol

I thought I heard one of the admin staff mention it at induction so I think we'll be safer bringing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Vince Coupon

jclegs wrote: »
    Nope, I've heard nothing from them. Do we have to bring a car insurance certificate to GV?

Isn't car insurance listed as one of the things to bring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I read somewhere that if you wish to bring your car onto the GV campus you need to bring all your driving documents.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You have to bring your certificate of insurance with you on your first day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pastashapes

I was just doing my workbook tonight, and I suppose this will only apply to those who are fairly 'inexperienced' in the job market like myself... be that kids or education or something but I'm finding it hard to evidence Section B- I have got some stuff down but I don't feel like I have the quality of responses that more experienced students would have.

Have other people felt this at all?

Folks , do be careful what you say about the study material you were given . It is official P.S.N.I. and therefore confidential.
    If in doubt PM psni.
    Thanks

May I ask if I fell foul of anything there? I think it would be best to know as I absolutely don't want to infringe on anything.

May I ask if I fell foul of anything there? I think it would be best to know as I absolutely don't want to infringe on anything.

Yes , 2 dozen lashes for you :D

No pasta , you're not picking up an infraction for your question posted. Rather my post was a warning to those who may try and answer your question - it would be easy to find yourselves discussing things that are inappropriate to a public forum.
    Call it a 'gentle reminder ' to be cautious.....

Thanks for asking.

• Advertisement

Phew!

That's ok, I agree it's best to be aware! That and I don't want a major kick up the back side.

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Go ahead and send me a PM and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Garnerville Trainers: There really should be an SSO on-hand for stuff like this.

So, as i asked in my post before, has anyone else recieved the phone call about insurance?? i think im gonna ring them and check 100% that it was def from them!!

So, as i asked in my post before, has anyone else recieved the phone call about insurance?? i think im gonna ring them and check 100% that it was def from them!!

I haven't mate.

Does anyone have any good tips for learning definitions. Like trying to learn one per day or writing them out over and over? Someone suggested to me about recording them on to the pc and then sticking them on an iPod to listen to repeatedly

I haven't mate.

Does anyone have any good tips for learning definitions. Like trying to learn one per day or writing them out over and over? Someone suggested to me about recording them on to the pc and then sticking them on an iPod to listen to repeatedly

I found one a day was the easiest way to do it and i was typing them out and just reading them over and over, and then had recorded them on iphone and was listening to them on bus and stuff! have got the first 5 pretty much learnt which is all they wanted but gonna try learn a few more cause im off until starting now!

Learn them a bit at a time. Grab a bit of paper a write down just 1 line of a definition. Read it to yourself in your head a few times, and see if you can write it down word-for-word - just that sentence.

If you can, move on to the next sentence, write it down on another bit of paper, and repeat the above. You're bound to get stuck on one or two so if/when that happens, break it down into small chunks and assign each chunk a number. Recall chunk 1 without looking. If you can, move on to chunk 2, and see if you can recall 1 + 2. If you can, add 3, then 4 and so on...

When you have 1 definition done. Take a break for a half an hour, and without reading or revising - see what your total recall is like after your break.

It's not recommended to do more than 1 per day like this because your mind will just overload.

The next day, do not start a new definition unless you can 100% correctly recall yesterday's definition.

Hope that helps.

Garnerville Trainers: There should be an SSO on-hand for stuff like this as well. You've given these people work to do with absolutely no support. This is poor practice and should be revised immediately.

• Advertisement

On a slightly unrelated note, what are people intending to wear on the first morning? Should it be suit and tie again or doesnt it matter??

Jonny/PSNI, thanks for the tips. I aim to do one a day as any more could lead to confusion and an information overload!
    On a slightly unrelated note, what are people intending to wear on the first morning? Should it be suit and tie again or doesnt it matter??
    I'm almost certain it says on the letter to wear a suit.

Cool, will check the letter out, should have thought of that first, have u any idea what else to be taking clothes wise?

Cool, will check the letter out, should have thought of that first, have u any idea what else to be taking clothes wise?
    Actually I don't think it's in the letter but it's in one of the accompanying booklets.

I only own one suit so I hope I don't need to wear it too frequently. I plan on bringing t-shirts, casual shirts, hoodys, jeans, tracksuit bottoms, trainers/shoes for when we're milling around at night outside of class times.

Have a nose at this thread for an idea on what to bring.

• Advertisement

Hopefully not giving anything away by asking this but is anyone have a problem with the first few q's in the work book? im not sure i understand what they are asking really!! if anyone could pm me with any advice would be very grateful!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Don't waste your time with the workbook, Its never been looked at ever.

Hopefully not giving anything away by asking this but is anyone have a problem with the first few q's in the work book? im not sure i understand what they are asking really!! if anyone could pm me with any advice would be very grateful!!

...but in the event you DO want help, PM me and I'll answer as many questions as I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭pathway

Was just thinking.... Have all the successful candidates for C15 been called up as student officers? Is that campaign actually officially over? Anyone any thoughts / info?:confused:

It doesn't work that way. If you're from C15 and your vetting gets send abroad or is delayed for any reason, you will have your place reserved (if you have a high enough merit pool number), regardless how long you have to wait.
    pathway wrote: »
    Was just thinking.... Have all the successful candidates for C15 been called up as student officers? Is that campaign actually officially over? Anyone any thoughts / info?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Is it true that there are only 50 out of an original 55 left?

Why do people go to the time and effort of applying only to waste a space????

That would be something only someone currently in training could answer. Any takers?

I don't know how much I'm allowed to say but about 4 people didn't turn up. There is still more than 50 left.

Thanks for posting.

I find this very frustrating.

Getting kicked out would be fair enough, but I really cannot see why people just don't turn up.........why accept the offer and then not attend?

wanadrum wrote: »
    Thanks for posting.

I find this very frustrating.

Getting kicked out would be fair enough, but I really cannot see why people just don't turn up.........why accept the offer and then not attend?

Don't get me started..... this stuff just drives me nuts.... 4 places thrown away that could have gone to people who really wanted them :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭B182

I would think they never thought about it as a job if you know what I mean more oo look 25k and just applied and done everything as it came and forgot about it and then went to introduction day and things prob only hit home what they applied for

wanadrum wrote: »
    Is it true that there are only 50 out of an original 55 left?

Why do people go to the time and effort of applying only to waste a space????

Some didn't show up to induction day and at least one who did show up didn't show up to proper training. However, out of everyone that started nobody has dropped out that I know of and there is almost 60 currently there.

I don't belong in here but I just wanted to wish you guys the best of luck, jealous doesn't even begin to describe it :D

On the subject of no shows and drop outs, say someone gets offered a place but doesn't show up or drops out after a few days, if they applied again and got through everything and got a merit score that would be good enough, would they be offered the place again despite not showing up the first time? Or would they look at that and be like "naaaah not you again!"?

I don't belong in here but I just wanted to wish you guys the best of luck, jealous doesn't even begin to describe it :D

On the subject of no shows and drop outs, say someone gets offered a place but doesn't show up or drops out after a few days, if they applied again and got through everything and got a merit score that would be good enough, would they be offered the place again despite not showing up the first time? Or would they look at that and be like "naaaah not you again!"?

Their new application would be treated just the same as everyone else and they would be accepted back in if they made the grade.
    I have actually heard of one person who failed the fitness test and was removed from the course , he re-applied and got back in and again failed the fitness and was again removed !

Yep, it's all true, I heard someone say that last week in GV. Don't think they are allowed to refuse you so you are free to go into GV as many times as you like.

delancey42 wrote: »
    Their new application would be treated just the same as everyone else and they would be accepted back in if they made the grade.
    I have actually heard of one person who failed the fitness test and was removed from the course , he re-applied and got back in and again failed the fitness and was again removed !

Figured that might be the case, it takes the p*ss a little bit tough that someone can be offered a place that gets wasted and denies somebody else the chance, only to be given a second go. Just my opinion anyways. Although I would imagine it doesn't happen too often with the process being so hard in the first place and whatever the reason is for not showing up would put you off it for good.

That boy got resilience at least :D Although again that is taking the p*ss, fair enough failing once and coming back at it, but if you know why you got chucked out the first time you would do everything you possibly could to make sure it doesn't happen again...urgh people don't half anger me sometimes!

There was a girl who showed up at induction day who then didn't show up to the main training. When I heard people talking about her theyvsaud that this was the 3rd time she'd got in and now the 3rd time she'd failed to start the course. I believe that too cos she was saying on induction day about not liking the look of the place. What a waste (not once, but thrice) yet she continues to get through.

There was a girl who showed up at induction day who then didn't show up to the main training. When I heard people talking about her theyvsaud that this was the 3rd time she'd got in and now the 3rd time she'd failed to start the course. I believe that too cos she was saying on induction day about not liking the look of the place. What a waste (not once, but thrice) yet she continues to get through.

Ridiculous behaviour and I am sick of hearing about these imbeciles - my blood pressure is rising at the thought of someone depriving 3 people of their chance. These morons need to be weeded out.

delancey42 wrote: »
    Ridiculous behaviour and I am sick of hearing about these imbeciles - my blood pressure is rising at the thought of someone depriving 3 people of their chance. These morons need to be weeded out.

They don't even care about others. Only that they look after themselves. Presumably Recruitment don't/can't offer her place to someone else at short notice who may appreciate it.

When she accepted the job she obviously thought "well I'll just go and see what happens; no harm done if I don't like it"

• Advertisement

This cracks me up!

I was told by a current recruit that she told him on the induction night that she wouldn't be back - I believe I posted about this somewhere at the time.

Advertisement