Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant Defy 3 CTW Scheme Help?

• 19-07-2010 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a Giant Defy 3 on the cycle to work scheme. Is this a good choice for a beginner looking to get fit(44 years)?
    What clothing should I purchase bearing in mind that I do not have the figure for body hugging materials. :D
    Any other accessories recommended that will keep me around the grand spent. Bike is €775 at local shop, his price is similar to online prices.

Thanks,

Anthony,,,,,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

No one has the figure for body hugging lycra really, it's about comfort at the end of the day. Swallow your pride and buy a pair of padded lycra shorts (bib shorts preferably), a base layer, jersey and a foldable rain jacket. Cycling is a sport and you should dress accordingly. Cottons absorb moisture and the fibres swell and sag.

On top of that you will need a helmet, gloves, repair kit (tyre levers, pump and spare tube) and some lights for when the days shorten.

If you are only using it for fitness you probably don't need a lock, just keep the bike within view when you are off it at a coffee stop.

Consider getting clipless pedals, they are worth it and no they are not dangerous. Like most things they take a small bit of practice and some confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    No one has the figure for body hugging lycra really, it's about comfort at the end of the day.

Speak for yourself, I look gorgeous in mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    No one has the figure for body hugging lycra really, it's about comfort at the end of the day.
    Pic 2 below for example...
    102798.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pandybelly

I feel better about myself already............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You can get lycra shorts and put mountain bike baggies over them. Its important to get cycling specific shorts as they have a minimised seam in the crotch region.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=1524

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You should have at least hidden pics 5 and 6 from the poor man!

At least number 4 shows how someone can look reasonably stylish in lycra!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Pic 2 below for example...

It's all going great down until the knees, and then....BANG! Those socks and shoes! My eyes, they burn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Indeed. The shoes and socks have been retired in favour of proper SPD...

Sandals... :D

Oh, and SPD shoes for the wintertime...

Advertisement