Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Tips on Sparring

• 19-07-2010 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Weve recently started doing standup sparring in My MMA Club.
    But when im sparring,im finding it hard to find my reach,and also when someone comes forward pushing the pace i turtle up and stand there , is there any tips you guys could give me.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Just keep training and you'll learn to not be afraid to take a punch,you havent been training long and you're still fairly young,give it time and get some experience.

But most of all... Ask your coach! Thats what he's there for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

unknown13 wrote: »
    Go to a boxing club and start sparring and working on your technique there, while doing the BJJ / MMA in your club.

His MMA club should be more than capable of showing him those basic things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

Quick tips i found useful, always easier said than done, especially when under pressure. http://jeffjoslinmma.com/2010/05/beginner-sparring-tips-mma-boxing-kickboxing/

I came into MMA from Boxing/Kickboxing standpoint and imho it all comes to you from competing. Once you learn to think on your feet you should grasp how to counter punch going backwards. It's all experience at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    Weve recently started doing standup sparring in My MMA Club.
    But when im sparring,im finding it hard to find my reach,and also when someone comes forward pushing the pace i turtle up and stand there , is there any tips you guys could give me.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Keep sparring. You're in that getting over your fear of being hit stage. Once you get over that stage you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭cletus

This quote from boards member Ger Healy might help you out Daniel
    What you are really taking about here is confidence. The confidence to stand in front of and opponent and exchange.

This confidence can be achieved in two ways
    The first way (School of hard knocks)
    1 Get on the mat and spar every opportunity you get and eventually after many bumps burses and pain you over come your fears.

The second way (Intelligent approach)
    2 Gradually under controlled environment you increase the intensity of the sparring until you achieve a live sparring level.
    a.An example of how this can be done is (Tennis Sparring) where only set technique are allowed in the sparring round in essence handicapping each other and then increasing the speed and contact level this is applied. When you feel comfortable at the lower level you can add more technique combination and increase the intensity.

What I would suggest is that you work on your defence.
    You should first look at things like

•Balance : footwork
    •Defence: hand position, body position
    •TES: When being offensive in your sparring what your body structure is like
    •Cardio: Fitness level will determine if the above function correctly

Advertisement