Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im Off to where you decide?

Options
  • 19-07-2010 2:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

My thread from After Hours was redirected here folks so fire away with suggestions:)

Alright lads and lassies ive decided im heading off in a few months, spur of the moment decesion, which i find the best.
    Where do posters recomend i go? Must be in the U.S.A a town or city with a population above 30,000 and under 200,000 is my guideline, i will add a poll and whatever town is voted i will move to for 3 months and will post photo's and a blog of me living there, think of it as Boards.ie's own reality show.
    I will 100% do this and will add a poll.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

But is there any particular experience you are looking for?

I could recommend a college town. A military town. A rural town. A suburb.

It could be in the mountains. On a reservation. In the south. On an island. In the desert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

But is there any particular experience you are looking for?

I could recommend a college town. A military town. A rural town. A suburb.

It could be in the mountains. On a reservation. In the south. On an island. In the desert.

Sorry no suburbs has to be a independent town or city, thats it really. Ive lived in Fairbank's and Bend before for a few months.

Fairbank, Alaska and Bend, Oregon?

Then, I would recommend living in the southwest or south for a bit.

Sante Fe, New Mexico

Lawton, Oklahoma

Macon, Georgia

Pine Bluff, Arkansas

I see ya from Seattle, one of my fav U.S cities, many the times i got pissed up in kelly's near pike place market:D, followed by a 12 block walk to some 24 hour dinner wich i forget the name off:confused:

I see ya from Seattle, one of my fav U.S cities, many the times i got pissed up in kelly's near pike place market:D, followed by a 12 block walk to some 24 hour dinner wich i forget the name off:confused:

Are you drunk?

• Advertisement

Are you drunk?

Nope.

Kells. :D I haven't been to that Pub. I have been to Fado several times, though.

http://www.fadoirishpub.com/seattle/

Not sure which diner since 12 blocks could lead you anywhere. :)

Kells. :D I haven't been to that Pub. I have been to Fado several times, though.

http://www.fadoirishpub.com/seattle/

Not sure which diner since 12 blocks could lead you anywhere. :)

It was down way south i was like walking a hour or more and then back up to H.I on pike place where i was staying, but Seattle is a pretty safe city for me anyway. Have been to this place a good few times but im usually Pissed:rolleyes:

Bad news. They closed that hostel, I believe. They opened a new hostel in the International District.

Well, since you like the area, why not move to Bremerton or Gig Harbor? Or Forks! :D

:eek: Did they, that was so central, oh how i do love Seattle.

• Advertisement

Then move to one of the small towns around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Jonjo - Just last week Money Magazine released their list of the best 100 small American cities (the vast majority meet your criteria). I will post a link:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2010/top100/index.html

Personally, I like Killer Wench's idea of a college town in the South or Southwest. While I happen to live in one of Money Magazine's "Top 100" small cities, given the transient nature of college towns, I find it much easier meeting (interesting) people in college towns. My personal opinion, the people make the city. If you meet solid, interesting human beings, likely you're going to have a pleasant experience. For example, you might want to check out Boulder, Colorado (University of Colorado) or Flagstaff, Arizona (Northern Arizona University).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 thecandle

Savannah, Georgia or Austin TX (although Austin is above your population limits)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Same here mate. Love Seattle, used to go down a lot from Vancouver. Many drunken nights staggering around Pioneer Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Arewe to assume no visa, ie you are just holidaying? Because if you havea work visa, I would recommend Rogers, Arkansas, voted one of the best cities to live in the USA: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2010/snapshots/PL0560410.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

silja wrote: »
    Arewe to assume no visa, ie you are just holidaying? Because if you havea work visa, I would recommend Rogers, Arkansas, voted one of the best cities to live in the USA: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2010/snapshots/PL0560410.html

Looks nice, I think it would be nice to pick somewhere in the south as it's so different from Boston/NY etc where many people visit.

The only disadvantage of the size of town you want is that public transport is not always the best in the US and you might find it hard to get around without a car.

Looks nice, I think it would be nice to pick somewhere in the south as it's so different from Boston/NY etc where many people visit.

The only disadvantage of the size of town you want is that public transport is not always the best in the US and you might find it hard to get around without a car.

not to mention healthcare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

ciaran67 wrote: »
    not to mention healthcare :)

But he's only going for a 3 month holiday, good travel insurance should be ok for this.

ooh thought he was going longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Santa Cruz, Ca - Its damn right weird but well chill place

Eureka/Arcata, Ca - Has a real NorCal vibe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Asheville, NC. Transportation: no problem. Get around by bicycle. College town, lots of pubs, clubs, restaurants. Mountains. Lots of mountains. Blue Ridge Parkway and Appalachian Trail on your doorstep. Oh: an awesome brewery. Don't forget the house that Vanderbilt bilt.

Who suggested Macon, GA??? Are you nuts?

Advertisement