Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Jasper chipset?

• 19-07-2010 3:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Am considering buying 2nd hand XBOX360 Elite 120GB with Jasper chipset?
    What is this,how much better is it and how do i know the console has one?
    Last console i had was N64,so im well outta touch.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

There are codenames for the iterations the xbox 360 console has gone through over it's lifetime. In chronological order they are Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon, Opus, Jasper and Valhalla.

Earlier models were extremely susceptible to the RROD, so the likes of Xenon, Zephyr, Falcon and Opus shouldn't be considered over a Jasper or Valhalla.

Valhalla is the new xbox 360 S (slim).

Jasper was introduced in mid-to-late 2008 and uses a 65nm CPU & GPU, resulting in less heat being produced and less power required to power the console. This reduces the RROD incidence rate. It also has a 256MB internal memory that can be used to store profiles & savegames until a hard drive is purchased (most people will opt to purchase a hard drive at some point). If the price is right, I'd encourage getting a Jasper over a Valhalla.

As for "how much better is it?" - I'm not sure what you mean. All variants of the console play games as well as the other, there's nothing you can do with a Jasper than I can't do with my Xenon.

Identifying if the console has a Jasper is a simple enough task. If the console was manufactured in 2009/2010 it's a Jasper (Manufactured date on the back of the console on a sticker). If it has internal memory it is a Jasper (Fire it up, go to the system settings, then memory, and if it's got internal memory then it's a Jasper). If the power supply is rated for 150W and has no metal shielding on the connector it's a Jasper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Ta. So i can take it as a given that a 6mnth old elite is a jasper nd 140e is fair price.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

punk77 wrote: »
    Ta. So i can take it as a given that a 6mnth old elite is a jasper nd 140e is fair price.:)

Yes.
    You can.

I've a Jasper and it is a lot quieter than my previous models.
    I've heard the New Slim is very quiet though and I'll definitely be looking to upgrade next year.

Advertisement