Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved back home

Options
  • 19-07-2010 5:46am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

In 2006 I moved to Dublin for a year, which became 4 years. Have now been back home for a month & moved back into my house. Still unpacking boxes from storage and getting things sorted. The pool & spa (jacuzzi) have almost had it & will need to be replaced. The garden has a good assortment of noxious weeds too. It is good to be back but I am missing Ireland too, especially the people in the camera club & the Boards photo mob.

Have to get used to it not being overcast most days & also that people on the roads generally drive within the road rules here (how quaint!) The cost of living has also gone up a lot here. It used to be about half the cost of that in Ireland but is not as good now.

Have had to do all those mundane time consuming things like getting cars back on the road, connecting power & water, getting phones & internet connected and buying all sorts of stuff from new beds to socks.

I now have two homes & while enjoying one am missing the other.

The other thing is you cannoy get a decent Pint here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

CabanSail wrote: »
    In 2006 I moved to Dublin for a year, which became 4 years. Have now been back home for a month & moved back into my house. Still unpacking boxes from storage and getting things sorted. The pool & spa (jacuzzi) have almost had it & will need to be replaced. The garden has a good assortment of noxious weeds too. It is good to be back but I am missing Ireland too, especially the people in the camera club & the Boards photo mob.

Have to get used to it not being overcast most days & also that people on the roads generally drive within the road rules here (how quaint!) The cost of living has also gone up a lot here. It used to be about half the cost of that in Ireland but is not as good now.

Have had to do all those mundane time consuming things like getting cars back on the road, connecting power & water, getting phones & internet connected and buying all sorts of stuff from new beds to socks.

I now have two homes & while enjoying one am missing the other.

The other thing is you cannoy get a decent Pint here!

Welcome home ...where are you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Home is in the Northern Rivers in NSW, between Byron Bay & Lismore.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

CabanSail wrote: »
    ...people on the roads generally drive within the road rules here (how quaint!)...

Ireland has driving rules now?

You don't have to do anything in this life, only pay taxes and die. The option's always there to move around. Glad to hear you have fond memories. Personally, being Irish and only being away a year and a half, I have some bad ones, namely of knackers all over Dublin. But everywhere has it's pluses and minuses that suit some ppl.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

All the best....have to agree with you 100% on the pint comment!! What is it with Aussies and their schooners....you just can't beat a pint :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I don't mind the Schooner, but the problem is finding something decent to fill it. One of the things I discovered in Ireland is that I really don't like Lager that much. I also did not go into Pubs here for many years as they were full of Smokers. The Smoking ban meant I could go into Pubs in Ireland & have become quite partial to Guinness & Murphy's. Over here it's just slight different flavours of Larger. The locally brewed Guinness only looks the same, but tastes evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Same with NZ most of the local lagers are crap after a while.

I've swapped lager for wine and spirits :) More economical too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

The Eltham pub has a pretty respectable pint, the last time I was down there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

wherabouts along the Bruxner are ya????????

my Farm & Sawmill is outside Drake, we do be up and down regularly, and we have trucks passing by quite regularly if ya need anything bulky shipped from Brisbane for less than LTT would do it ;)

I used to know the last publican at the Eltham quite well. Unfortunately he died recently while in South Africa for the World Cup. They have Guinness on tap but it's the locally brewed rubbish.

I am not on the Bruxner Hwy. Located in Bexhill. Thanks for the offer of getting stuff from Bribane, it may come in handy. Good to know there are a few Boardies around the area. We may have to organise a "Beers" sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I'd hit some Brissie beers!

• Advertisement

a Nimbin 'Beers' might be a laugh.

I was down at the farm over the weekend, Jaysis its cold up in the range

Do they do Beer in Nimbin?

mmm... Beer and Cookies;)

Yep :D they also Sell Beer;)

And the Bakery on the main St is open till 3AM and does an Excellent Calzoni :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Chet Zar wrote: »
    What is it with Aussies and their schooners....you just can't beat a pint :)

Nah you cant have a schooy in 30 odd degrees, pots only in summer otherwise the last half of a schooners has fish bones in it.

The road out there isn't worth it. Gonna wait until the Channon markets are on next, make a weekend of it, round by Lismore. The Murwillumbah road is a disaster. just fallin in the river. even if it is a beautiful drive

Went to the Channon Markets last Sunday. Much the same as ever but there seemed to be a lot less local produce on sale there now.

Ah Whadaya Shoitein On about eh Lad???? the Murwillumbah road is in far better condition than most rural Irish roads IMO, its an excellent drive, I take it you would have been opposed to the WRC as well then.

Its quite a nice driving road, Aussies just get freaked out by concepts such as Corners and narrow roads, ye are so used to blastin down the Highway in a straight line.

Even the run out around the Channon is fairly good, but there is a fair possibility that as you are slidin sideways round a corner at 100K there may be some tourists stopped gawkin at something, so much less opportunities for rallying

Advertisement