Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place name URL

Options
  • 19-07-2010 8:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

If i was to snap up a domain that was a place name would i be entitled to it?

Say for example i was to get Finglas.com or Dundalk.com would someone be able to take it off me?

I can see a few place names are already directing to brand names so im wondering have they had permission or where they just lucky to get the name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

There's no problem if the .com is free - unless the local council come looking for the name, .ie is were you would have trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

IIRC, "ireland.com" used to be the Irish Times newspaper, and now it's something else ?

So I'm not sure whether you can be "usurped" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Its not an .IE anyway so thats fine.

Question i suppose would be is a place name a copyright? Im assuming its not unless its a .ie or .co.uk maybe but not a .com or a .net

Advertisement