Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote for Indian Sandstone paving

Options
  • 19-07-2010 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

I'm looking to get about 20 sq. meters of Indian Sandstone paving in my back garden and have gotten a quote from a guy I know will do a good job (he did next door) at EUR85 a sq. meter.

This doesnt include labour which is quoted separately

Does this seem a bit high? Its hard to get up-to-date pricing on the web, but it looks like I could buy it for something like EUR30 a sq meter.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

That seems high but more details required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

im interested in this too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

I'm interested also

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭tipperary

Maybe ask him for cost with you supplying the slabs? I wouldn't have much of an idea of prices, but the amount of preparation required will impact on the cost - is there much to be removed and disposed of, hardcore required etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

EUR85 a sq. meter is ridiculous if it refers only to the price of the slabs. They are widely available for even less than the EUR 30 a sq. meter you referred to. I recently got mine for EUR20 a sq. meter (bargained down from 25. They were in and around this price in all of the suppliers that I visited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a small area to pave, and I fancy the sandstone, but it seems to have a very absorbent surface, does it stay nice looking or does it go scruffy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭eosirl08.

That seems like a crazy price. Surely he means including labour. If he did it would be around the price mark for supply and lay

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

Just wondering what the labour costs on this type of project should be roughly. I have 40sqm of paving to do and I'm getting the sandstone for 22sqm and I'm trying to budget for labour costs. There isn't much preparation required other than a small bit of 804 and sand to level out the existing gravel drive.

Thanks
    MC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

mchammer wrote: »
    Just wondering what the labour costs on this type of project should be roughly. I have 40sqm of paving to do and I'm getting the sandstone for 22sqm and I'm trying to budget for labour costs. There isn't much preparation required other than a small bit of 804 and sand to level out the existing gravel drive.

Thanks
    MC

Sandstone is a poor choice for a Driveway it will mark and permanently discolour very quickly and if the sub-base isn't adequate, expect them to crack. At least 250-300mm hardcore required for Driveway and ALL natural stone should be laid on at least 50mm (70mm better) sand & cement base.

Using sand as a leveller will only undermine the finish and weaken the final finish.

Done properly you should have no problems, but like prices, skill, preparation will ultimately determine quality. Expect to pay c € 35.00-40.00/sq m.

Advertisement