Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carphone warehouse sold me wrong phone.

Options
  • 19-07-2010 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi,

I was in Carphone warehouse yesterday looking for a phone. I have wifi at home with the Three Mifi and am looking for a handset with wifi to have always on to skype to use as landline with a skype landline number.

I explained what I wanted to the girl in the store and she told me the Nokia 2730 would do the job. She sold me a 3pay prepay one for €79.

On going home, opened it up, turned it on and see that it doesn’t have wifi, I would have to use prepaid credit to use the internet browsing.

I want to bring it back and get my money back on the basis that I was effectively sold something under false pretences (in reality she just didn’t understand what I wanted I’d say). Do I have a case?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes of course you have a case as long as you have not used the incorrect phone. Bring it back and ask to see the manager. Might be worth your while ringing their head office 1st to explain the situation.

The phone you were given is not what you asked for and as such not fit for its intended purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

AFAIK there's a 14 day cooling off period that you can return the item purchased without having to give a reason for it so once you're within that time frame they'll take it back without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

OP, no phone under 200 euro ha wifi for your own info as I looked into this. I'd say next year you will see all the more expensive touch screens with wifi coming down but not yet.
    Bring it back and make sure you state exactly that you were lied to.................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

TheDriver wrote: »
    OP, no phone under 200 euro ha wifi for your own info as I looked into this. I'd say next year you will see all the more expensive touch screens with wifi coming down but not yet.
    Bring it back and make sure you state exactly that you were lied to.................

nokia e51 and e66 both have wifi; not sure if they can be used as Skype phones, though.

The salesperson didn't necessarily lie; it could have been that they weren't totally au fait with that particular handset and made a mistake.

Accusing someone of deliberately lying or selling to you under false pretences would be a big mistake; stating that you were lied to could be seen as aggressive and will only get the shop staff pissed off with you.

OP; it sounds as if you should have a case, but you could get hit with the line that you've opened the phone, therefore no return (I've seen a phone shop try this before). If they do this, stand your ground, as you clearly explained what you wanted and needed the phone for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

isn't the e51 and e66 expensive on prepay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Fey! wrote: »
    nokia e51 and e66 both have wifi; not sure if they can be used as Skype phones, though.

I have Skype installed in my E51, tested it once and it worked, but never bother with it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

OP if you want wifi then ask then to change it for an E63 should be no more then €169 on 3pay.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Be carefull, I had issues with the carphone warehouse before, when they wouldnt change a phone for me that i bought for my dad "because it was turned on"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭oohlala

maybe a sony w705 for prepay wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Formosa wrote: »
    I explained what I wanted to the girl in the store and she told me the Nokia 2730 would do the job. She sold me a 3pay prepay one for €79.
    http://three.ie/shop/nokia-2730-black-3pay.htm
    Just go back to the store, and demand immediate refund, as the salesperson lied to you. If they say anything else, direct them to the above link, which says "WiFi: No"...
    Formosa wrote: »
    I have wifi at home with the Three Mifi and am looking for a handset with wifi to have always on to skype to use as landline with a skype landline number.
    Seems the salesperson got confused, and sold you a phone that has skype on it. If you are only going to use it for skype over WiFi, maybe just get something like http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=26083?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Formosa

Hi, thanks all for the replies.

I went back last Wednesday, explained my case to the manager and she as sympathetic but told me I will have to deal with the girl who sold me the phone , (who was off that today) as she will need to verify that I was sold a wrong product.

So I brought it back today, met the girl in question and got a refund no hassle.

Have to say they were actually good to deal with from start to finish and she explained that she misunderstood me last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 She

Hi what store did you buy the mobile in?

Advertisement