Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No receipt but have bank statement?

Options
  • 19-07-2010 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a quick bit of advise before I visit the shop. Tried ringing them but no answer. I bought an item in PC World in April and it has broken. I can't find the receipt for it but I do have a bank statement with note of the transaction (laser). How am I fixed here regarding replacement/fix? Thanks in advance

ding

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Your laser statement is "proof of purchase" which is all you need!

They should offer to repair replace or refund and should not try to direct you to the manufacturer for this or claim you only have the manufacturers 12month warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

OP you shouldnt have any problem if you have a statement with you, they should be able to match the product sold with the date on their system n match it up with the amount you paid and the same date.

Ive done it a few times in argos and its always been hassle free.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

not all retailers will accept bank statements, a store I worked in for 5 years never did, as we had to have proof of purchase of the actual item (i.e. its barcode on a receipt) not just proof of purchase of something from the store, which is all a bank statement really shows, it doesnt give an itemised break down just an amount that could theoretically be anything.
    Some retailers will however consider it as a good will gesture if you are approachable about it.
    However if the item is faulty you don't have to produce a receipt, so dont get fobbed off either!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

starfish12 wrote: »
    However if the item is faulty you don't have to produce a receipt, so dont get fobbed off either!

If the item can be bought in another store, they you have to be able to prove you bought it from them, so a PC World own brand should not need a receipt, but anything HP/Epson etc. would.

If they are nice and you tell them exactly when it was bought, they might look it up on their records...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

not all retailers will accept bank statements, a store I worked in for 5 years never did, as we had to have proof of purchase of the actual item (i.e. its barcode on a receipt) not just proof of purchase of something from the store, which is all a bank statement really shows, it doesnt give an itemised break down just an amount that could theoretically be anything.
    Some retailers will however consider it as a good will gesture if you are approachable about it.

if the item is faulty u woukld definately need to prove where it came from and its up to them if they want to accept anything other than a proper receipt

a bank statement wouldnt say what the product was as someone already mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

faulty, returning..anything really, you need a proof of purchase ; bank statement is fine.

they would usually take your details in their systems for such reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

not all retailers will accept bank statements, a store I worked in for 5 years never did, as we had to have proof of purchase of the actual item (i.e. its barcode on a receipt)

It's illegal for a shop to try and enforce such a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

delllat wrote: »
    a bank statement wouldnt say what the product was as someone already mentioned

A bank statement has the transaction number on it. If wouldn't be too difficult for a shop to find their match for for this transaction number with the amount of CRM software used these days. Getting them to actually do it is a different mater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

jor el wrote: »
    It's illegal for a shop to try and enforce such a requirement.
    Not really.
    A bank statement is not proof of purchase as it does not show what was bought. (obviously if the bank statement lists a transaction ID etc then they have to accept it)

Advertisement